User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Should Apple leverage the iMac with the iPod?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Should Apple leverage the iMac with the iPod?
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-08-20, 00:52

Will Apple use the leverage that it has with the iPod, to help to try and sell the iMac? A lot of people in this forum think that the iMac is going to be overpriced and some even consider it under-performing (namely the GPU). As much as I may personally disagree with those sentiments, I think Apple will have to do something clever to get people to take a closer look at the iMac, regardless of design or specifications (even if it had a great GPU).

Does Apple need to bundle an iPod mini for free with the new iMac, in order to get PC users to really take a close look and actually consider the iMac as a potential buy?

I can just imagine the press buzz that this sort of marketing would create. A "have your cake and eat it too" sort of approach that might give consumers enough of an excuse to buy the iMac.

Imagine a Mom from a middle class family, going Christmas shopping for a new computer. She walks into the King of Prussia mall, sees the Apple logo and the iPod banners in the window, she walks in. She sees the iMac with an iPod mini hooked up to it. Now at this point, she was only going in because she recognized the iPod, which was on Johnny's wish-list. She sees that there is this great looking computer, for $1299, and it includes an iPod mini. She might buy the bundle.

It's just a thought, and I think it may be something Apple could do to help give themselves a two-fold advantage over the competition in the music world too. They get the iPod market share up, they get the mac market share up, the user base expands and Apple makes money.

If they couldnt bundle the mini in for free, maybe make the mini only $100 with the purchase of any iMac.

Basically, why not use the one product Apple makes that everyone is in love with, to help sell the other stuff that 95% of the world is unsure/ignorant about? It would seem to make sense.

Am I nuts, or does that make some sort of sense?

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration

Last edited by Messiahtosh : 2004-08-20 at 00:58.
Quagmire
meh

2004-08-20, 01:02

Sounds like the focus-dell deal. Sure it makes sense. I would love it if apple did that. Did apple do a similar thing in the past? But, with the wait list for the mini I think that they would have to catch up with supplies first and the people waiting for the mini would be pissed since people buying imacs are getting minis before they did.

giggity
moo

2004-08-20, 04:07

yeah they've been having a lot of supply problems with the mini, eh...
but in theory, yeah, it'd be great. it'd definately sweeten the deal on my buy.
BenRoethig

2004-08-20, 06:27

I'd be pushing the platform with the iPod definately. The main problem is that the kind of system the potential convert would want Apple doesn't make.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-08-20, 09:10

The cram and jam promotion has helped a lot of people take the dive, I know that promotion is just the thing that got one of my friends to switch. Apple needs to run a promotion with the new iMac called "Trojan and Horse," or something like that. $150 off of a mini or $200 off of an iPod with the purchase of an iMac.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2004-08-20, 09:50

The problem with this idea is that it makes too much sense for Apple to do it!

It's been a while since I've been pleasantly surprised by Apple strategy. I know they're not "Dell everyday sale", but it doesn't hurt to be a bit more aggressive.

Hopefully one day before I die, Apple can reach 10% marketshare.
BenRoethig

2004-08-20, 10:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo
The problem with this idea is that it makes too much sense for Apple to do it!

It's been a while since I've been pleasantly surprised by Apple strategy. I know they're not "Dell everyday sale", but it doesn't hurt to be a bit more aggressive.

Hopefully one day before I die, Apple can reach 10% marketshare.
If Apple would release a headless eMac and a consumer tower, 10% might be reachable. People like the OS. They're not too sure about the hardware though. The Ives designs are great, but apple needs some mainstream stuff as well.
hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2004-08-20, 11:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig
If Apple would release a headless eMac and a consumer tower, 10% might be reachable. People like the OS. They're not too sure about the hardware though. The Ives designs are great, but apple needs some mainstream stuff as well.
Not really. Apple reaching %10 marketshare is a probability that is bording on impossibility. Apple currently sells about 3.5 million computers a years in a market that does 100 million or more a year. So for Apple to hit %10 they would have to damn near tripple sales. Apple doesn't have the capacity to secure the parts they need for such a massive increase. Headless Macs or consumer towers will not even come close to generating the necesary increase. Apple will probably have to hit on all cylinders just to get to %5 marketshare and fight like the dickens to keep it. This would entail developing a business strategy and selling lots of Xserves and cheap clients into business sectors. The consumer market is far too fickle and frankly uneducated to move enmass to Apple is significant numbers.

omgwtfbbq
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-20, 12:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison
The consumer market is far too fickle and frankly uneducated to move enmass to Apple is significant numbers.
And who the hell's fault is THAT?!?!

The fickle thing, yeah...not much can be done about that I suppose.

But uneducated? If all Apple can manage to do is lay cutesy, vague and/or choir-friendly ads on the public, that'll never change either. They're part of the problem the public isn't more "educated" about Macs and Apple in general...

*count to 10*i'm not getting into this today*count to 10*i'm not going on a marketing rant today*count to 10*count to 35*

Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2004-08-20, 12:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison
Not really. Apple reaching %10 marketshare is a probability that is bording on impossibility.

I said before I die. Hopefully, that's a long time from now.

I'm talking baby steps...which is what Apple is doing. OSX is laying the foundation for perhaps a new generation of users.
It is a daunting task given the current state of Apple. Yes, at some point, they'll need work out production issues if they really want to grow. But who knows what 10 years later will bring? Another 5%? And twenty years down the road?...

It's naturally an uphill battle given Apple is the only manufacturer pushing OSX vs. the entire Wintel cartel.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2004-08-20, 14:08

I've said it a million times. To move marketshare, Apple needs a catalog.

IKEA just got their catalog to every house in Toronto, and they're hawking $29. shelves.

Why can't Apple release an annual catalog to the masses?
hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2004-08-20, 14:10

Well Satchmo we hope that is a long long long time. Mac user needn't ever die

There was recently an article on how fast PCs become infected with outside software. 20 minutes was all it took with no surfing at all. Wow...I hope OSX isn't that bad.

I really do want Apple's marketshare to increase. So with that in mind I think Apple needs to diversify. The iPod is the start. The future of Apple depends how well they parlay success of the iPod into other equally successful areas. You can already see that idiots like Real don't want that to happen.

I don't think Apple specifically has to leverage the iPods but we're all waiting for their next major move. It's coming....just when? I think Apple should buy Tivo. I've thought this way for a year now and now that Tivos market cap is a paltry 322 million dollars it's a relatively low risk investment. The Tivo could be quickly retrofitted to support more Apple technologies like music and video. Tivo comes with 1.6 million users that are fiercely loyal. I don't want to stray too much off topic but the iPod can be leveraged when it has a better supporting cast. Home units and more license support. Then you are basically selling two platforms that have a synergistic connection but are seperate entities of their own.

omgwtfbbq
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2004-08-20, 14:13

thuh Freak walks into a store, with a few hundred dollars ready to spend on an ipod. thuh Freak sees a promotion, wherein he can spend like triple or more. thuh Freak thinks over this idea. thuh Freak concludes that its incredibly stupid.

an ipod isn't going to get any one (who isn't sufficiently wealthy to throw around that kind of money) to buy a computer on a whim. it might encourage more people to buy an ipod, since ipod+mac would be cheaper, but i sincerely doubt its going to drive mac sales noticeably.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-08-22, 21:09

thuh freak does not understand marketing.

People in the United States of America spend a lot of money, they have a lot of things they don't need. People will spend one thousand dollars if they can save two hundred dollars.

Instant gratification meets quality products meets impulse buying.

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-08-22, 21:43

http://www.corante.com/apple/archives/005766.php

Why Apple has an advantage in the "PC as a commodity" market place.
BenRoethig

2004-08-23, 08:54

maccentral has an article about this very issue today.
SilentEchoes
Unique Like Everyone Else

Send a message via AIM to SilentEchoes  
2004-08-23, 13:19

Well with the cram and jam apple is practically giving the iPod away as it is now.. it seems to be working.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/product...es-apple_x.htm

WARNING: Do not let Dr. Mario touch your genitals. He is not a real doctor.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-08-23, 14:26

Marvelous!