User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: Redesign of Communal Mob Trap

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
View Poll Results: Should We Embark on Redesigning the Communal Mob Trap (hostile)
Sure thing, Bruce, sign me up. 2 66.67%
Leave well enough alone, alright!?!? 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

MC: Redesign of Communal Mob Trap
Page 2 of 3 Previous 1 [2] 3  Next Thread Tools
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-05-02, 23:31

Right... So as mentioned elsewhere signs are a no go as they drop the graphics performance of users near the trap.

Having removed all but a couple hundred signs fps levels are near normal. The remainder of the rafter signs will be removed, and the signs needed to access the booster channels added in. This should be ok: the approximately 1000 signs required should put the fps at around 50 (?) if my observations are accurate. Meanwhile to test whether the rafters will work at all without signs (i predict failure) i am going to rebuild the top rafter level without signs, complete the renovations. Detorch and let fly. Hopefully observing mobs taking falls from the rafters without the 'oops, that's not a floor' encouragement signs provide.

thanks for the post move, brad!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-05-03, 01:03

I understand very little of this thread... think I'll need a class on how mob traps work. Down at Skull Falls the number of scary mobs has increased quite a bit. Have no idea if this has anything to do with the communal mob trap being off right now, but it's SSSSKAAAAREEEE.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
SpecMode
Wait what

2011-05-03, 02:03

Yeah, the trap (usually being almost completely dark) tended to concentrate most of the server's maximum hostile mob population in one spot, so the spawn rates elsewhere on the map went way down. Now that the trap is offline for construction, the general population should be closer to "normal".
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-05-03, 09:24

Er... Actually, no. The reason for the increased hostile activity is due to a change in the code notch made, effectively increasing spawn rate.

The inactivity of the hostile trap doesn't change the rates of spawning of mobs elsewhere on the map, nor does its activity. On the converse, however, lighting up the rest of the map will increase the spawn yield at the trap because the population cap isn't depleted by spawns elsewhere.
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-05-04, 00:21

And so.... Trap 2.0 is partially active due mostly to turtle's brave detorching of the outer ring of spawning pads.

Tomorrow all torches (including redstone) get removed, hopefully during a mob free period.

While the trap improvements below seem to be doing their job, the scaffolding above is needing to be tested... If mobs jump off in a timely fashion, then more rafters will be added; if not the ones there will be removed. Either way the trap or perhaps just mob spawning will be down again...
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-05-04, 23:19

Brad takes on spiders to put out the one lone torch bb left due to a hasty completion of the new elevator to the viewing area at the top of the trap.
SD, HD

Drew asked to see it happen, so here he goes. Trap works great too!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-05-04, 23:56

Just watched it on my phone and it freaked me out. Did a spider follow him out?
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-05-05, 00:08

So trap is totally active and working like a charm. Users of the past trap will note the incredible bounty of string -- a downstream effect of the new grinder design i used in the minigrinders (not my own invention, sadly), so much so that wool may be easier to harvest via string than by killing sheep. So very strange.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-05-05, 08:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Just watched it on my phone and it freaked me out. Did a spider follow him out?
No, a spider didn't follow him out. They did get the hole closed up and no spider made it out of the trap prior to dying.
arteggio

2011-05-05, 08:55

Just checked it out: amazing efficiency! I collected a whole stack of arrows just by standing at the end of the stream. Bravo.

And the feather chest is full...
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-05-05, 09:14

Much better on a larger screen.
Didn't realize that Bruce was in there with Brad.
Nice work!

I went to look at Gargoyles new place yesterday and we went outside a bit at night and I only had a few arrows. Trying to pull up the right weapon using a trackpad is terrible. I still need to get myself a mouse! Kind of wish the available items boxes had tiny numbers over them to help me select them quicker with the number keys.

I might not be as terrified of the critters if I knew that I wouldn't be hitting them with my chronograph.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
¡Damned!

2011-05-05, 09:39

Just checked it out myself. Wow. *much* more loot.

Very impressive. Well done!

Plus, ladder to the observation deck = good idea. Something I've always wished was there (but couldn't be for practical reasons).

So it goes.
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-05-07, 01:23

Thanks for the compliments!

I have made further design changes to the collection area... Any comments/critiques are welcome.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-05-07, 11:58

I'll stop by there later today and take a look.
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-05-23, 00:59

So small update:

Trap isn't working nearly as well any more. Its back to its significantly more anemic 1.4 era rate. Brad has said (second hand) this is due to bugs introduced by Bukkit -- as evidenced by the drops that appear everywhere under the trap. Its a faustian bargain, to be sure, so hopefully either the bug will get fixed or bukkit will get re-removed...
SpecMode
Wait what

2011-05-23, 02:50

Seems like it's working just fine to me. Seeing stupid numbers of mobs spawning in here right now, watching from the observation platform. (I've also seen a half-dozen spider jockeys just in the last few minutes, which is cool.)
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-05-23, 07:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
Brad has said (second hand) this is due to bugs introduced by Bukkit -- as evidenced by the drops that appear everywhere under the trap.
Wait - huh? I don't recall mentioning anything close to this, and I clearly remember seeing random flickering/burning drops under trap before the switch too. Given Spec's comment above, are we sure this wasn't a fluke?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-05-23, 08:48

I was the secondhand person... was sure you'd said the weird drops were due to some sort of bug. Apologies if I misunderstood and passed on incorrect info.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-05-23, 12:20

Yeah, I've seen the drops below too. And given that the trap filled my inventory in under 5 minutes, I think it's perfectly fast enough!
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-05-23, 13:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Wait - huh? I don't recall mentioning anything close to this, and I clearly remember seeing random flickering/burning drops under trap before the switch too. Given Spec's comment above, are we sure this wasn't a fluke?
The mobs are spawning fine... Their drops aren't all remaining in the channels...

If you run around below the trap you will find drops scattered on the ground (and they are able to be picked up -- it's not a visual fluke). This is a new 'feature' since the bukkit upgrade...
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-05-23, 13:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Yeah, I've seen the drops below too. And given that the trap filled my inventory in under 5 minutes, I think it's perfectly fast enough!
It was taking almost 2-3 times as long to get the same stack of gunpowder for me earlier -- so an twenty minutes versus seven...

Last edited by billybobsky : 2011-05-23 at 13:25.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-05-23, 19:25

He's right about the drops on the ground under the trap. I went out there the check it out and it's just like he said it was. Sure there's still a major flow of drops in the trap, there are also a fair number being dropped through the cobblestone. I actually watched some fall through after hearing a death above.

So then the question becomes: Is the loss of these drops worth the leaving of bukkit? Personally I'm for bukkit and the mods we have now. I'm also not personally reliant on the product coming out of the trap either though.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-05-23, 22:43

Honestly, what is the benefit of the mods?

Us regular folks get nothing but the ability to warp to a coordinate and that's it. It isn't a big deal, certainly not worth it to me.
SpecMode
Wait what

2011-05-23, 23:55

I think we've been doing alright with just the warp-to-person capability with SimpleServer. I can say with confidence that it is very unlikely that I will be using the warp-to-coordinate feature as it will almost certainly result in repeated (and admittedly comical) deaths.

That being said, are the drops-under-the-trap actually being caused by bukkit, or a heretofore-unnoticed bug in MC itself? (i.e., have we tried running the server for a while without bukkit or other mods installed to see if the drops still appear?)
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-05-24, 01:27

The drops were never there before bukkit...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-05-30, 16:08

So, turtle made a small tweak to make the mob reactor go supercritical.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-05-30, 16:33

I helped "pretty up" the design a bit, too.

Spoiler (click to toggle):
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-05-30, 19:46

lolol @ "push button, receive creeper"
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-05-30, 21:11

Someone suggested putting one over the passive trap for dispensing pig zombies for grilled-pork.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-05-30, 22:04

Not being able to make it over there yet, does that just drop it straight down the chute?