User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

good ISP, host or service for mass-mail smtp?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
good ISP, host or service for mass-mail smtp?
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-02-05, 16:55

I have two different 600-member mailing lists (both work related) that I send messages to on a monthly or semi-monthly basis.

My current web host -- http://www.Hostway.com -- is generally excellent, but they limit outgoing emails to something like 50 or 100 per hour, and I have zero interest in carving up the lists into a 100/hour, 5-hour project.

(Enabling postfix on my PowerBook used to be an option, but I've heard a high percentage of messages now get bounced, or silently deleted, since they are often seen as coming from a dynamic IP address.)

Can anyone recommend a good (and non-blacklisted) ISP, host or smtp service so I can accomplish the above in one sitting? (I travel a lot, so I'd prefer an authenticated smtp service where I don't necessarily need to be on a certain network to use the smtp server.)

Thanks very much for all feedback, recommendations, etc.

P.S. #1: If anyone from Hostway reads this, please consider adding an smtp service per the above. Message boards everywhere seem to be populated with people who have legitimate mailing lists but get thwarted at every turn by hosts and ISPs who assume everyone sending more than 50 emails is a spammer. With an ASMTP system, I have to believe spammers could be well-regulated, if not avoided altogether.

P.S. #2: I used be an EarthLink subscriber and I do not believe they had outgoing smtp limits via their ASMTP servers. If anyone knows if this is still true, please advise.

Last edited by apple007 : 2007-02-05 at 17:05.
aeiz

2007-02-05, 17:49

smtp.gmail.com ?
apple007
BANNED

2007-02-12, 16:07

Just bumping this back up for additional feedback. I'm sure a lot of people here manage mailing lists. (Feel free to PM me if you don't want to identify your host/ISP on the board.)

aeiz - Thanks re: the Gmail tip. Will look into it.
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2007-02-12, 17:06

Write a script to send them during the night.
apple007
BANNED

2007-02-12, 20:10

Sometimes they're press releases, so staggering delivery over 6 hours wouldn't be good.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-02-12, 22:12

Go with a dedicated mailing service like Topica. That's what we've used for years where I work. I've heard virtually no complaints from the people I know who use it (and I used to use it as well).

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.