Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Help un-compressing .ace on Mac OSX pls

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Help un-compressing .ace on Mac OSX pls
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-01-04, 21:59

I have googled and searched MacUpdate/VT for a Mac app that is able to uncompress .ace files. Many GUI implementations I found got a bad rap so I decided to d/l Unace 2.5 which is a command line implementation.

Problem is, I don't understand the readme instructions

I don't get anything that is in bold:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
unace 2.5 for Mac OS X ReadMe

November 20, 2003

Contents
commandline dearchiver UNACEv2.5, Copyright ACE Compression Software

This image contains these files:
* unace25.pkg - Mac OS X package, containing the unace executable
* Readme.txt - this file

Description
unace 2.5 for Mac OS X is a port of the commandline tool unace, which is the uncompressing part of the excellent (but yet) closed source windows compression software WinACE. Its hard to beat compression results made it the preferred tool of many people on the net.
After the port to x86 Linux now unace is finally available for Mac OS X and possibly other big endian plattforms!

Installation
To get unace installed, use the provided installer package named “unace25.pkg”. The installer is pretty safe to use. It will not touch your system files, but simply put the unace executable in your /usr/local/bin directory.

Configuration
To use unace from inside the Terminal, the /usr/local/bin directory has to be part of your shell path. If its not, follow this instructions:

For csh/tcsh add this line to the end of your .cshrc or .tcshrc file:

set path = ($path /usr/local/bin)

For sh/bash add this line to the end of your .profile file

PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/bin"

Have fun! (Kolja Koischwitz)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where is "/usr/local/bin"? Do I navigate to this via the Finder or do I type this into the Terminal? And I don't get the Configuration instructions at all.

Any and all help welcome. A dumbass walkthrough would be most appreciated

bouncy bouncy
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-01-04, 23:17

You should try unaceX. I've used it successfully before. Don't always believe the bad reviews.

Besides, that command-line program you're trying to use? unaceX has that very same program built-in as its engine.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-01-04, 23:20

To answer your questions, though...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfSylvanus
Where is "/usr/local/bin"? Do I navigate to this via the Finder or do I type this into the Terminal? And I don't get the Configuration instructions at all.
/usr is an invisible folder used by "the unix stuff" at the top level of your hard drive. You can get to it in Finder by using "Go to folder" (apple-shift-g) or by cd'ing to it in Terminal.

If you're having trouble with instructions as simple as that (and can't find useful help via Google), I'd say you should really stick to the GUI programs.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-01-05, 09:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
If you're having trouble with instructions as simple as that (and can't find useful help via Google), I'd say you should really stick to the GUI programs.
Leave me alone!

I'll try UnaceX then.

Thanks