AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

iPhone vs. Android

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone vs. Android
Page 1 of 7 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-10-08, 15:12

So many of you have probably seen the story that came out today saying that Android will overtake iPhone usage (marketshare) sometime in 2012. Of course, that's based on current trends and loads of speculation. Since I'm in the market for a new phone, and am not married to either format, I'm waging an internal debate already. I can predict where this crowd comes out on the topic, but I would be interested to see some discussion of the pros and cons of each OS. Discuss. Please, I beg you...
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2009-10-08, 15:24

It may be that Android has a bigger marketshare than the iPhone in a few years - I mean there are dozens of Android phones coming out in the next year - but does that really matter? You're a Mac user, so I'm guessing "no".

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Miko
Veteran Member

2009-10-08, 15:52

From what I've seen from HTC I can easily see Android picking up steam, but the big thing that I never underestimate with Apple is their innovation and that little app store they have.

I'm cool with the iPhone so won't be switching, the network is the larger problem to me.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2009-10-08, 15:58

Just to be sure.... isn't Android just a OS that can be bundled on any phone? If that's the case then it's not exactly apple-apple comparison as one won't find Mac OS X on any other phone, surely?
ime_NY

2009-10-08, 15:59

IMHO, Android looks to be more "customizable" from a developer's perspective up to the user end experience. Specifically, it's cool to see HTC and MOTO develop skins or UI features such as Sense and MOTOBlur; Android developers feel they have more control over their experience in developing apps compared to the App Store experience; and even seeing that commercial for the MyTouch 3G makes me a bit jealous that Whoopi, Jesse, and Phil get to select background wallpaper for their phones (I've only seen that on jailbroken iPhones).

It seems that future Android phones will become more appealing with features and more sexy in looks. But damn, I still think my 1st gen iPhone circa 2007 is sexier than than the Cliq, MyTouch, Hero, Tattoo ,etc. circa 2009 -2010.

As we see more and more Android phones aim for the middle and lower-end markets, does anyone think Apple will feel the pressure to do the same via a device like the oft-rumored iPhone nano?
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2009-10-08, 17:22

Well, it could become a classical case of history repeating (as in Mac vs. Windows). Obviously Apple shouldn't make the same mistakes ad they did back then (which basically translates to: don't get lazy).

Android having a bigger market share shouldn't bother them, however. Android offering a better user experience across the board, on the other hand, could mean iPhone exit.

As said before in this thread: Apple has to keep ahead of the curve for consumers, as well as for developers. The latter might prove to be more difficult.

A black hole is where god divided by zero.
http://settuno.com/
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2009-10-08, 17:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesstoop View Post
Well, it could become a classical case of history repeating (as in Mac vs. Windows). Obviously Apple shouldn't make the same mistakes ad they did back then (which basically translates to: don't get lazy).

Android having a bigger market share shouldn't bother them, however. Android offering a better user experience across the board, on the other hand, could mean iPhone exit.

As said before in this thread: Apple has to keep ahead of the curve for consumers, as well as for developers. The latter might prove to be more difficult.
It's also a classic case of open vs closed standards. Kind of old vs new school thinking. It'll be interesting to see which model wins out. It's funny that in this case, Apple is just like MS with the OS holding all the apps.

Regardless, Apple will be around for a long time given the iPhone/iPod ecosystem they've built. New devices running the same OS will further extend the shelf life.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2009-10-08, 19:35

Satchmo, what does a "classic case of open and closed standards" mean?You mean like Linux beating windows or mac os? Or the Sansa beating the iPod? I can think of nearly no examples of open beating out closed. There are significant benefits to having a closed system.
Partial
Stallion

2009-10-08, 19:59

Apple has a tighter package so it will always be a better experience.
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2009-10-08, 20:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Satchmo, what does a "classic case of open and closed standards" mean?You mean like Linux beating windows or mac os? Or the Sansa beating the iPod? I can think of nearly no examples of open beating out closed. There are significant benefits to having a closed system.
Yes, I'm referring to open sources like Linux vs Window and Mac. Don't you think Chrome Desktop or Android have a fighting chance?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2009-10-08, 21:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
Yes, I'm referring to open sources like Linux vs Window and Mac. Don't you think Chrome Desktop or Android have a fighting chance?
Yes, but it's not a "classic" situation as you called it. If it were, Android would be doomed to failure.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-10-08, 21:23

Quote:
It's also a classic case of open vs closed standards. Kind of old vs new school thinking.
Who's offering open standards, and who isn't?

Quote:
Okay, now it's open source. But while Google Android is more open than iPhone OS, its shipping versions are not entirely open source. And, more confusingly, I don't see anything classic about that at all. Is it like Mac OS vs. Windows? No, Mac OS was equally closed at the time (if not even more so). Linux vs. Windows? No, Linux won't have Android-like market share. I'm confused.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-10-09, 00:09

Unlike the majority of Linux users, the majority of Android users won't know or care that their operating system is open source - it's not at all a selling point of Android. (It's free-ness is a selling point to phone manufacturers, but that's different.) In fact, the majority of Android users probably don't even care that they're using Android at all, if they even know that they are. Android phones are sold as being "with Google" or "with Sense" or "with MOTOBLUR." If I was, say, a CLIQ user, with no outside information, I would just assume that Android was maybe one of the companies that made the phone (due to the logo at startup) or the company that ran the store, nothing more. And I don't think that's a problem, really.

Phones will still be sold on the basis of their UI, and there will still be a large variety of different UIs - there won't be just one homogenous Android on everything (that would be boring!). It's just that now, instead of paying for WinMo (and hiding it from their users!) or hacking together their own weird Linux "base," phone manufacturers will be able to use the Android underpinnings for free, lowering the production cost of phones and giving their users the benefits of a shared app store. Everybody wins!

I don't want to get much more into it, because I might write up something a bit more...substantial on Android in the near future. But yeah, I think making it all a closed source/open source dichotomy is totally the wrong way to look at it. I wouldn't be surprised if 99% of Android users didn't even know what "open source" was.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
geneman

Send a message via AIM to geneman  
2009-10-09, 03:53

I'm looking to buy a smartphone as well. leaning to the iPhone at the moment, but I'm not really to worried about which platform wins.

When it comes to phones, I've had just about every brand. Sure it takes a bit of getting used too, but I've never felt tied to one brand/platform. This might be entirely different with smart-phones, but I think when it's time to decide once again a few years down I'll just re-evaluate the current market. Of course I'll be influenced by what I 'know', and if I've been happy with what I bought first time I'll probably choose it again.

Guess my point is I'm not as monogamous when it comes to phones as I am with computers

"What can be asserted without evidence, can also be dismissed without evidence." - C. Hitchens
Doxxic
Veteran Member

2009-10-10, 11:58

Because of it's customizability and openness, I expect Android to be less efficient in power usage and more prone to bugs.

In terms of organization and compatibility, I think it might become a bit of the jungle Windows has become.

But there's a good chance that it turns out to generate a lot of ideas that Apple will 'borrow'...
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-10-18, 08:15

Interestingly, Verizon has launched a new ad campaign targeted against the iPhone in advance of their own unveiling of the Motorola/Google Droid. I had assumed Apple might open up the iPhone to the Verizon network next year, but it doesn't look like that will happen now. If the Droid comes out later this month (as rumored), I think I'll be ready to switch.
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2009-10-18, 10:53

Unfortunately it is supposed to have one of those kludgy slide-out thumb keyboards, so I don't think I'll be interested once it hits the European market.

Last edited by julesstoop : 2009-10-18 at 11:28.
¡Damned!

2009-10-18, 11:13

Guess I can forget about the iPhone coming to Verizon next year.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-10-18, 12:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesstoop View Post
Unfortunately it is supposed to have one of those kludgy slide-out thumb keyboards, so I don't think I'll be interested once it hits the European market.
As opposed to a full-size keyboard?
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-10-18, 12:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Yeah, that's the main point here. This pushes me over the edge to Android.
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2009-10-18, 12:38

Quote:
Most likely was never going to happen anyway. Apple is in a bit of a bind here. They don't seem to want to re engineer the current phone for CDMA but they also aren't happy with the current situation with AT&T. Going with T-Mobile isn't an option since their 3G is a joke and they have no plan or spectrum for 4G. LTE is coming to Verizon but it will only be for data. Voice will most likely be on legacy 2G networks for quite some time.

Looks like the Shoales will be the first Android 2.0 phone. I'm just glad Google is sticking with it. Going with Moto for the hardware is a huge gamble though.

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/...t-walkthrough/
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-10-18, 14:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWM View Post

Looks like the Shoales will be the first Android 2.0 phone. I'm just glad Google is sticking with it. Going with Moto for the hardware is a huge gamble though.

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/...t-walkthrough/
Isn't Shoales the same as Droid? (Which I already posted above.)
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-10-18, 14:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWM View Post
they also aren't happy with the current situation with AT&T.
[citation needed]

Quote:
Going with T-Mobile isn't an option since their 3G is a joke and they have no plan or spectrum for 4G.
4G is irrelevant for the current iPhone. Upgrading the iPhone to support T-Mobile's upcoming 21 Mb/s HSPA+ will be much easier than 4G.

What a dull-looking, uninspired UI. Android has some nice features (like multiple suggestions for auto-correct), but was someone on sedatives while designing that?
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-10-18, 14:04

I'll go on record now by predicting that "Droid" will have to change it's name. I can see lawsuits coming, because Google/Motorola are using the name "Droid" as a way of branding Android OS. Know what I mean?
kdcny

2009-10-18, 14:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
I'll go on record now by predicting that "Droid" will have to change it's name. I can see lawsuits coming, because Google/Motorola are using the name "Droid" as a way of branding Android OS. Know what I mean?
See: droiddoes.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verizon Wireless
DROID is a trademark of Lucasfilm Ltd. and its related companies. Used under license.
Like it or not (and it does seem unbelievable to me), Lucasfilm owns the rights to the term "droid".

So, Verizon's in the clear with using the name "DROID". I personally think it's pretty stupid branding, though, because the hype's way overblown. A good smartphone? Let's hope. But, come on, a robot in your pocket which is really just a small computer? Pfff. Does it even speak Bocce? No? Then don't oversell. Sell it as a good smartphone, not... "It's a ROBOT, people! It's a super-smart entity!"

At least Apple called the iPhone a really smart, really easy to use phone when it was introduced. They could've called it a new mobile computing platform, but they didn't. Keep it simple: undersell, over-deliver. I don't think Verizon knows about that.

...that being said, I'm really intrigued to see how this pans out. I'm eligible for a phone upgrade with Verizon, and was waiting to see some near-holiday developments. Now I've got the options of a Storm 2 (ha!), Droid, or maybe a Pre. Hmm...
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2009-10-18, 15:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
[citation needed]
They aren't happy with the poor performance of the network and the small footprint as are lots of customers though I'm sure they're pleased with sales. Did they put it in a press release? No.

Quote:
4G is irrelevant for the current iPhone. Upgrading the iPhone to support T-Mobile's upcoming 21 Mb/s HSPA+ will be much easier than 4G.
That network has an even smaller footprint than AT&Ts and will stay that way for a long time plus their lack of spectrum means they don't have room to deploy both 3G and 4G which causes trouble like AT&T has now.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-10-18, 15:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdcny View Post
See: droiddoes.com

Like it or not (and it does seem unbelievable to me), Lucasfilm owns the rights to the term "droid".

So, Verizon's in the clear with using the name "DROID". I personally think it's pretty stupid branding, though, because the hype's way overblown. A good smartphone? Let's hope. But, come on, a robot in your pocket which is really just a small computer? Pfff. Does it even speak Bocce? No? Then don't oversell. Sell it as a good smartphone, not... "It's a ROBOT, people! It's a super-smart entity!"
DROID is short for ANDROID. I think it's more about branding the Android OS, than the connection to Star Wars.
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2009-10-18, 15:43

I'll pick one up if work let's me though I've never been a big fan of slide out keyboards. Supposedly it is made of metal and glass and is 13.7mm thick (3GS is 12.3). And it's a "Google Experience" device which is why the OS looks a little boring to some.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-10-18, 17:06

Quote:
Let's not forget that Apple introduced the iTunes phone with Motorola just sixteen months before introducing the iPhone. Companies are all about selling what's now, even if what's coming is way better; I'm sure Apple understands that.

But Verizon getting the iPhone next year has always been sort of a longshot, anyway; I don't think Apple will launch it until Verizon's LTE network is expansive enough to be the iPhone's network, without using CDMA. Verizon's bumped up the launch of their LTE network several times, IIRC, which might be due to the Apple factor...but it just as easily could be due to increased pressures from other carriers. I'm not sure if Sprint's "4G" network has had many takers (we have it/XOHM/Clearwire/Clear here in Portland, but I don't think it's taken the city by storm), but Sprint can advertise "the only 4G network in the nation!" Considering Verizon heavily emphasizes "the Network" in their advertising, that must sting a little.

I'd love to see an iPhone 4G in 2010, but I wouldn't be surprised if we had to wait a little longer. Maybe The Tablet will get it though...

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Partial
Stallion

2009-10-18, 18:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
What a dull-looking, uninspired UI. Android has some nice features (like multiple suggestions for auto-correct), but was someone on sedatives while designing that?
I happen to think it looks really nice. Definitely #2 smart phone UI behind Apple.