Android App Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Android App Thread
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2010-03-31, 19:53

We definitely need some more Android love around here! My Nexus One is getting delivered tomorrow and I can finally kiss my Magic and Rogers' lame ass control over updates to my phone. Plus with paid apps finally in Canada, I can really start enjoying my Android phone. So you know the drill, post what you think is sweet to check out!

One I just heard of recently which looks good is the Pure Calendar widget. It syncs with gTasks and Astrid while remaining customizable and is cheap to boot.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2010-03-31, 21:49

Oh Android, what can be said? I'll take a look at it next year when my contract is up. I'm going to either get an iPhone or an Android phone, its just a matter of which one fits my needs and price point better.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-03-31, 21:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Oh Android, what can be said? I'll take a look at it next year when my contract is up. I'm going to either get an iPhone or an Android phone, its just a matter of which one fits my needs and price point better.
No webOS love?
Ryan
Veteran Member

2010-03-31, 22:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
No webOS love?
He said it’d be next year. WebOS might not even be around by then.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2010-03-31, 23:49

Quote:
No webOS love?
Palm, no way. I'd buy a RIM phone before I bought something from Palm.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-04-01, 09:24

Perfect! Okay, here's what I have:

Beautiful Widgets - A steal for $1, if you don't have HTC Sense. The Nexus One doesn't, so I'd say get it. The home widget gives you a clock, the date, and weather conditions. Tapping on those areas will pull up your alarm clock, calendar, or a weather forecast, respectively.

Handcent SMS - Messaging app. Very customizable, including the ability to use speech bubbles like on the iPhone. Make sure to disable system SMS notifications if you use Handcent, otherwise you'll get two notifications every time.

Timeriffic - Lets you change ringtone and notification volumes and WiFi and Bluetooth power based on what time it is. Useful for, say, turning off WiFi and your ringtone when you go to work and turning them back on when you come home.

AK Notepad - Very simple notepad app.

Astrid - To-do list that also syncs with RememberTheMilk.com.

Meebo IM - Multi-service IM client.

Last.fm - Many people prefer Pandora. I think I do too, except that Pandora doesn't work properly on my phone. It skips and stutters way too easily. Last.fm never does, so I use it for streaming music.

SlideIT Keyboard Lite - A free on-screen keyboard replacement that works by letting you slide your finger from letter to letter rather than tapping each one. Works surprisingly well. You can also tap each letter to teach it new words.

Quick Settings - Lets you change your screen brightness, volume, WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, and several other settings from a single app icon. I keep it on my main home screen.

Opera Mini - An alternative browser. It is very fast, but it's also a little weird. Worth a try at least.

WallSwitch - Change your desktop background at set intervals. Also includes a quick wallpaper switch widget.

ASTRO File Manager - Just a file browser. Can be very useful in certain situations, like if you want to move pictures from one folder to another or something.

ShopSavvy - A barcode scanner app that lets you do instant price comparisons by scanning a barcode. Seems to work better than Barcode Scanner.

Yelp - Useful for getting restaurant and other local business reviews. Not unlike Google Maps, but with more in-depth reviews and ratings.

Gmote - A fun toy, at least. Install the client on your computer (Windows, Mac, or Linux) and you can use your phone as a media remote. You can also switch to trackpad mode and it turns the screen into a trackpad you can use to control your mouse (or keyboard, if you pull up the virtual keyboard). It doesn't work as a remote desktop; the phone's screen remains black in trackpad mode. But it is pretty cool if you have an HTPC.

Iridium Flares - Good if you like astronomy. When I learned about Iridium flares (bright flashes from satellites), I downloaded this app. It'll tell you where and when to see Iridium flares for the coming week, and it'll show you the best place to view them on the map.

Google Sky Map - Also good for astronomy buffs. It's just a map of the sky. It has a compass mode, which uses the internal compass and accelerometer to determine the orientation of your phone and display the stars and planets visible "behind" it; alternately, you can use manual mode and scroll around yourself. I was unhappy with this app until I figured out how to switch to manual, because compass mode can be jittery.

Games - I have Andoku (sudoku), Jewels (free Bejeweled clone), Mahjong, Solitaire, and Word Mix Lite. You might also want to try a free platformer called Replica Island. Runs badly on my phone but the Nexus One is a lot faster so it might work well for you.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

2010-04-01, 10:20

Have you tried any home replacements? I tried slidescreen on my Magic and thought it was neat but not much of a replacement for the stock screen. I have been reading about Home++ over at droiddog.com and it looks really slick.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-04-01, 10:25

I installed PandaHome not long after I got my phone and almost immediately got rid of it. I don't think they're worth it. They usually have too many features. But maybe I need to give Home++ a try; I've heard good things.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

2010-04-01, 17:29

Home++ is actually pretty good. It still has some kinks to work out but definitely give it a try since it is free right now. I ended up going back to the stock 2.1 home screen, but I can definitely see the advantages to having a iPhone like bottom bar for highly used apps.

The Pure Calendar widget is freaking awesome. It can be customized to your hearts content like Beautiful Widgets (thanks for the tip Luca), is dead simple and works great so far. Another one I am trying is Twicca instead of my usual Twidroid. So far it is the closest thing to Twittelator Pro on the iPhone. They cut out all the extra crap I never use and allow you to choose which plugins you want to install instead of cluttering up the app. Plus it's free!
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-04-01, 18:04

Sadly, Home++ is not compatible with my phone. It requires Android 1.6 or higher, and I'm still on 1.5. I hope Samsung/Sprint get their act together and release the 2.1 update sometime. I keep running into apps I can't have because I'm on the oldest version of Android that's still being supported in any capacity.

Gave PandaHome another try and it's not bad, but I'm still not so sure about it. It slows everything down.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

2010-04-08, 21:22

I downloaded Pure Messenger a few days ago and love it as well. You can choose the size of the widget, skins and can show your Gmail inbox, SMS, Facebook feed and Twitter feed. The only downside so far is it doesnt have access to the regular email client on Android but there are ways around that.

I also downloaded Smart Keyboard Pro to replace the stock keyboard. It comes with a few different skins (iPhone being one of them), is updated regularly and supports multitouch.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2010-04-10, 22:46

The Wifi tethering app. I'm running a custom built 2.1 ROM right now. It was a pain in the ass to get it installed but it's very nice looking and functional.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
SpecMode
Wait what

2010-04-10, 23:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
The Wifi tethering app. I'm running a custom built 2.1 ROM right now. It was a pain in the ass to get it installed but it's very nice looking and functional.
This. I'm running a barely modified 2.1 ESE81 (the latest over-the-air Droid update) install; no themes, just root and a custom kernel for overclocking/tethering. It works beautifully - when I actually have a usable signal, anyway. (Home = no-go. )
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-04-11, 14:44

I'm running an overclocked CPU via a patched kernel. To manage my CPU speed depending on the battery conditions, I'm using SETCPU. It works well. And having this thing overclocked makes a world of difference.
Partial
Stallion

2010-04-13, 23:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
I thought you were on an iPhone and were looking at WebOS and the Pre Plus?
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-04-13, 23:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial View Post
He already got a Pre Plus, then swapped it for a Droid.
Partial
Stallion

2010-04-14, 00:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
He already got a Pre Plus, then swapped it for a Droid.
Ahhh, cool, my bad, must have missed that post somewhere.

I must say that I find the Droid to be a very unattractive piece of hardware. I don't know why, it's just so boxy to me. I'm jonesing for the HTC Evo and Sprint's Nexus One, though.

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-04-14, 00:37

Quote:
I must say that I find the Droid to be a very unattractive piece of hardware. I don't know why, it's just so boxy to me.
Yeah. The Pre is pushing it on rounded corners, but the Droid just looks clunky and industrial, not personal.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-04-14, 01:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Yeah. The Pre is pushing it on rounded corners, but the Droid just looks clunky and industrial, not personal.
Don't you know? A pleasant aesthetic is what made the Pre Plus the smartphone for moms. The Droid is a Bare-Knuckled Bucket of Does.™

(Actual ad taglines! I wish I was kidding.)

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-04-14, 07:51

Droid Does™ what Nintendon't™!
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-04-14, 08:34

Quote:
I did and I just didn't like the hardware that much. Battery life was abysmal and the keyboard was just too tiny to be functional. I really like the OS though. On a bigger device with better hardware, I think it'll be great.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-04-14, 10:14

Quote:
Don't you know? A pleasant aesthetic is what made the Pre Plus the smartphone for moms. The Droid is a Bare-Knuckled Bucket of Does.™

(Actual ad taglines! I wish I was kidding.)
*facepalms*

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-04-14, 10:30

I love it!

Obviously.

Although it makes me feel like eating chicken.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-04-15, 17:49

38,000 Android apps and counting...That's quite a rapid buildup from 10,000 last September.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

2010-04-18, 13:39

So I have been trying to find a program for my PC and N1 to replace Yojimbo on my old iMac. Last night, my uncle showed me an app called Keeper on his iPhone. It is an encrypted password manager and has a self destruct option.

It works for the iPhone and Android while also having a desktop client for the Mac and PC. The mobile versions are free while the desktop version is pretty cheap. The best part is that it will sync your stored info over the different platforms so you are always up to date!

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2010-05-02, 17:21

I'm seriously considering moving to the HTC Android Incredible when my contract runs out in July. I'm kinda fed up with at&t's service.

I'm also very interested in the HTC Evo 4G seeing as Cleveland is getting 4G in a couple months but Sprint has sketchy service too.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Partial
Stallion

2010-05-07, 23:05

I cannot wait for the HTC Evo. Any chance they'll give me a discount on a family plan since I would be upgrading three SERO 500 accounts 30 dollar accounts since they unfairly are blocking what phones I can activate? If I could get an unlimited data/text plan with 1500ish minutes for 120 or so for 3 lines I'd be quite happy.

I've been watching video reviews of the HTC incredible (to see what kind of OS speed we can expect) and it looks extremely impressive. I'm really hoping that HTC is already cranking away on Sense for Android 2.2. I have a hunch Android 2.2 is going to be a heck of an update as it's going to support automatic updates to apps in the background, and hopefully separate most of the google apps out of the core os.

I will literally be giddy if HTC surprises us with Android 2.2 in like July or August for the Evo.

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-05-08, 00:31

There are numerous ways you can get discounts, but the most reliable is to go for EPRP. The disadvantage is that EPRP cannot stack with other discounts and you must buy the phones from Sprint, which means higher prices and mail-in rebates vs. the instant rebates offered by the likes of Best Buy and others.

Here's how to do it:

Go to www.sprint.com/sero
Email: russ.s.mcguire@sprint.com
Code: 383

They're good deals. All of them have unlimited texting and data in addition to the voice minutes, and they also have unlimited calling to any mobile phone and 7 pm nights and weekends.

2 lines with 1600 shared minutes is $110/mo plus taxes, and each additional line is $15. Really an awesome deal when you consider what you get. A comparable number of minutes with unlimited texting and data on every line from Verizon would cost $180/mo just for two lines, and each additional line is $40.

If you don't want to deal with buying through Sprint and would rather spend less up front, you can check if your employer has a discount. You can also get a 10% discount if you are a member of any credit union.
BenP

2010-05-08, 09:20

Quote:
I cannot wait for the HTC Evo. Any chance they'll give me a discount on a family plan since I would be upgrading three SERO 500 accounts 30 dollar accounts since they unfairly are blocking what phones I can activate? If I could get an unlimited data/text plan with 1500ish minutes for 120 or so for 3 lines I'd be quite happy.

I've been watching video reviews of the HTC incredible (to see what kind of OS speed we can expect) and it looks extremely impressive. I'm really hoping that HTC is already cranking away on Sense for Android 2.2. I have a hunch Android 2.2 is going to be a heck of an update as it's going to support automatic updates to apps in the background, and hopefully separate most of the google apps out of the core os.

I will literally be giddy if HTC surprises us with Android 2.2 in like July or August for the Evo.
Me too, man, I’m psyched for the EVO. Rumor is that preorders begin May 22nd with the phone available on June 6th and I’m counting the days… I just hope the hotspot functionality doesn’t cost extra.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2010-06-02, 08:31

One thing I was wondering about if I switch to the Incredible, is there an app that you can get that's like Remote for the iPhone so that I can control my airtunes from my phone?

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey