User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPad C
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2013-09-04, 07:01

Complete speculation on my part here...

The iPad 2 is a bit off an oddity - the name especially. The oldest iPad is the iPad 2. The newest iPad is just iPad (with Retina Display). It is nonsensical.

Following on from the alleged iPhone 5C, why not an iPad C as the 'cheap' full sized iPad - with no retina display, but with an A6 and a lightning connector. Perfect for education, or for those who don't need a retina display.

I don't see the iPad 2 surviving the next iPad announcements - it would be the only product shipping with the old 20 pin iPod connector.

Also, if we assume that Apple stop selling the iPhone 4 and 4S upon the release of the (pretty much confirmed) 5C and 5S, it will be the last major product still on sale introduced by Steve Jobs at a keynote, at least by my recollection.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2013-09-04, 10:45

I think that makes a lot of sense, clearly Apple is trying to move away from the 30 pin connector ASAP. It's a smart move, no sense in continually reminding people that they've switched connectors, out of sight, out of mind. You're completely correct about the name not making any sense either. As the owner of an iPad 2, I can tell you that it's getting a bit slow, especially on iOS 7. It has the A5, same as the iPhone 4S (which I also own, and is also running iOS 7), but it's feeling really slow lately. Maybe a full restore when iOS 7 goes GM would do the trick, I'm not really sure.

I fully agree with you that it needs a change to still fit into the lineup. I think it would be great with an A6 chip, no retina display, same form-factor only with a lighting connector, and the same price point as the current iPad 2. Maybe some colored anodized aluminum for the rear casing?

Come waste your time with me
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2013-09-04, 20:21

I could see iPad 2 just disappearing, especially if the non-Retina iPad mini drops to $249.

$249 iPad mini
$329 iPad mini Retina ($349 maybe?)
$499 iPad 5
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2013-09-10, 13:31

No new iPads this time around. Oh noes! Apple is doomed!
Matsu
Veteran Member

2013-09-11, 08:32

The new iPhone C reminds me that I miss plastic Macs. I've never actually owned one. Both my laptops have been aluminium, but all through school, we had the assortment of machines starting with the smurf towers, original iMacs, all the colors, eMacs, iBooks, luxos, etc...

There was something to the whimsy of those machines. The new machines are far more elegant, but the I think there needs to be a little plastic throughout the range. An iPad C is a great idea, as would be a new plastic notebook...

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2013-09-16, 09:59

I don't think Apple would do an iPad C in the full-size lineup. However, I can easily imagine a line of colorful plastic iPad minis. That iPhone event last week got me thinking about the iPads. Here's what I think could happen:

iPad
- A slight redesign (we've seen those leaked case pics with the narrower, iPad mini-like bezel)
- A7 and all that it implies
- Prices and capacities probably stay the same, although it would be nice to see a 32/64/128GB lineup at the current $499-699 spots
- Black/slate gives way to black/space grey. Not sure if they'd do the gold/white thing on the iPads. Probably not.
- Fingerprint ID thingie

iPad mini
- I think the design (size, weight, etc.) is "there"...but I do think it'll get a Retina Display...and I don't think the price will go up either
- Not sure on processor, but maybe the A6x from last year's full-size model?
- Black/space grey, white/silver (again, no idea on the gold/white...seems like they'd really complicate their manufacturing)
- This would be the "Cadillac" iPad mini

The wild card:

iPad mini C
- Color, plastic
- Depending on Retina or not (at this point, I think everything they make in the iOS realm should be Retina), $199-299?
- Like the iPhone 5c, it won't have the fingerprint ID, A7, etc. But it could be affordable (under $300)

I don't know.

I think I'm pretty dead-on with the full-size iPad, and I think I'm 75% there on the mini.

A colorful, more affordable iPad c is the mystery. The fact that we've not seen leaks or pics of shells kinda makes me think it isn't going to happen...we would've heard or seen stuff by now, with the way those iPhone leaks were spilling out for months.

So we might just get an solid update to the two existing lines, as outlined above?
¡Damned!

2013-09-18, 12:09

Your "space gray" iPad mini looks like it may be coming sooner rather than later.

Man, I can only hope this color makes an appearance on the MBPs. I've been wanting a darker gray/gunmetal laptop enclosure for what seems like forever now.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2013-09-18, 12:22

Yeah, I think that slate color - for whatever reason - must not have met with much success or support. It was quite dark and I think it showed scratches and scuffs quite a bit. I'm sure that factored into Apple's decision a bit. Go a bit lighter this time, so any underlying aluminum isn't as noticeable?

But it looks sharp. I like it too, much more than I ever did that slate color. That, combined with the black glass panels, was too dark for my tastes. The black and grey looks snazzy.

Once the slate option was removed from the iPhone, you know it's not gonna stick around for the iPad!

Kinda wonder what the full size iPad will do this time around as well? I'm betting it goes with a black/space grey and white/silver approach as well, like the minis (especially since the rear shell is rumored to be taking on a more mini-like design and appearance.

Then they'd have black/space grey (along with white/silver) spread across their iPhone and iPad models. I still can't imagine gold coming to any of the iPads. Seems a bit much (plus, we probably would've heard something by now, or seen leaked pics as well).

If this new mini comes with a Retina Display - and it will, I'm 95% certain - it's gonna result in two things:

- Massive sales and upgrades/replacements (I've heard no fewer than 17 gazillion people say the only reason they're holding off on an iPad mini is the Retina Display)

and

- The full-size iPad is going to get some serious muscle and/or other "set it apart" feature(s)...otherwise, people would just buy the lighter, cuter iPad mini in overwhelming numbers.

So I expect good things from the upcoming iPad announcement. Retina-based minis and "OMG, why do I want/need a full-on Mac anymore?!?" full-size models.

And, dammit...I still think there's a need for my iOS-based Time Capsule home-based backup solution for those who truly want to go PC free (but have too much data/content to back up/store via iCloud).

I think something like that is only a matter of time, as more and more people will make an iPhone and an iPad of some sort their sole computing device. There needs to be a way to migrate/upgrade new devices and "restore from backup" as you would a new Mac.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2013-09-18 at 12:33.
¡Damned!

2013-09-18, 12:27

I'm still on the fence about the retina display in the iPad mini. My gut tells me it's not coming until v3, but it sure would be nice in v2.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2013-09-18, 12:37

I think Apple - with iOS 7's finer, wispier typography and all - knows they shouldn't go another year without it.

It's on all the shipping iPhones, it's on the iPod touch and it's on the full-size iPad. I can't imagine the mini going another full year without it.

Not now, with all the above factored in.

As much as people have complained about, or wanted it, this past year...I can't imagine Apple saying "nope" for another entire cycle. People would absolutely freak.

Something like that, they'd want standardized across the line. Both for bragging rights/marketing reasons, and, more importantly, so everything just looks as good as it can for the user. No "jaggies" or fuzziness anywhere. Sharp, crisp displays across all shipping iOS devices. Now more than ever, with iOS 7.

It's the Macs where I think the ongoing delays will be (I don't even want to think what a 27" Retina panel costs).

I didn't fully understand or buy into the Retina Display hype/mania at first. But after having a Retina-based device for three years now, I can definitely appreciate the difference (and improvement) whenever I use an iPad 2, Mac mini or a pre-4 iPhone. It's subtle, but it's real.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2013-09-18 at 12:47.
¡Damned!

2013-09-18, 12:50

That's a hell of a screen size wrt pixel density though. It's like running ~4.5 iPhone 5's on one of last years chips.

Maybe if it gets the A7, maybe. I still don't see it though.

Not trying to paddle upstream or anything, because I agree with your points about wanting to go retina, especially with iOS7. I'm just not feeling it unless they put in an A7, which I don't think they'll do. Maybe Feb/March once the demand for new 5S's gets normal and they can shift A7 production to a new mini (in addition to the new full-sized iPad, which I think will get an A7 in the next announcement).

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2013-09-18, 12:59

I get a bit confused on which device has which processor. Last year, did the iPhone 5 and the iPad (not Mac...thanks, Dutch Pear ) mini share the same processor? Or was the mini a bit behind?

I ask because I'm betting (I've even read online) that the full iPad will have a A7x, which leaves some "fill-in" room for a new mini to use an A7.

Yeah, it would require a two-generation jump (although perhaps they could use the A6x, found in the current full-size iPads?

Hell, I don't know.

But I think they'll figure out a way to make it happen. Just a gut hunch.

EDIT: I just checked, and the current mini has an A5, and the iPhone 5 has the A6 (and the current full-size iPad has an A6x).

What a mess.

But, in theory, they could have an A6x Retina-based mini, the new A7 iPhones and an A7x full size iPad? The two iPads separated by a generation, yet the mini would get the Retina and could perform as well as a current iPad. Everyone would be happy with that.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2013-09-18 at 13:25. Reason: I is an idiot.
Dutch Pear

2013-09-18, 13:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I get a bit confused on which device has which processor. Last year, did the iPhone 5 and the Mac mini share the same processor?

I was first thinking to text Jony Ive about that, but then decided to just send a polite grin and suggest a good mug of strong coffee
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2013-09-18, 13:24

Doh! Mac mini...

Yes, the iPhone 5 and Mac mini share the same processor. It's amazing!
¡Damned!

2013-09-18, 13:49

I knew what you meant.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2013-09-24, 22:34

No surprise, but still nice to see.

Space Grey iPad shells leaked (allegedly).

I don't imagine them doing gold...just seems a bit much. But you never know. The gold iPhone sure is proving popular.

But it would be nice to see the full-size iPad, along with the iPad mini (and iPhone 5s) have a black/space grey and a white/silver choice. Last time, even when the iPhones and iPad mini had a black/slate option, the rear shell of the full-size black iPad stayed silver.

I think it'll all look more like a cohesive family if the metal colors carry across the various iOS devices...space grey, silver and (possibly) gold. But the first two are pretty much a lock.

I know a lot of folks were disappointed when the iPhones stayed at their 16/32/64GB capacities. We know the full-size iPad has a 128GB option for $100 more ($799), but I wonder if Apple will offer the new full-size iPads in 32/64/128GB capacities, stock? Just to make them more of a draw and differentiate them a bit more (from the mini, mostly)? They're getting more popular and are becoming more and more the sole device for some people. Would be nice to get 32GB at that $499 entry price, three years - and five revisions - into the product's life. Maybe that's something they're planning to do?

Keep the mini at 16/32/64...I don't think anyone's gonna squawk too loudly on that one (lower price = lower capacity). But they could go ball's-out and make the new full-size iPad a real "Cadillac" on this next go-around...A7x, even better graphics/battery, spiffy new case, new color option to tie with the black, lighter, thinner, bump up the capacities for the same price, etc. It's not unthinkable, some of the above...they always do find a way to make them thinner and lighter, but faster and with better (or at least the same) battery performance.
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2013-09-24, 22:37

I really think the new full-size iPads should and will be 32/64/128, but I would have said the exact same thing about the iPhone 5s before it was announced.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2013-09-24, 23:24

I think the iPad stands a better shot, simply because the iPhone isn't in the running (as much) to be someone's computer replacement/sole digital device. I'm sure there are some people out there whose only device of this sort (including a computer) is an iPhone. Can't imagine there being too many of them, but you know they exist somewhere.

On the other hand, I do think there are more people in a position to have an iPad be their computer/laptop replacement, so the larger capacities would come in handy and make sense.

But even for those people not doing this, 32GB is just a bit roomier for all these photos, apps and music more and more people are accumulating. After this 32GB iPhone I have (and the 64GB iPad I had back in the winter), I know I'm never going to go back to 16GB.

They probably won't do it, but it's nice to think about. But I do think it would be a nice little separator and upsell spur.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2013-09-25, 07:16

I think the new iPhone colours would look gorgeous on iPads. The full size iPad getting the "S" treatment while the mini 2 gets the "C" colors (and a retina display)

Give the big iPad some luxurious and sleek accessory covers in leather and micro-fiber fabric options to compliment the Space grey, silver, gold options. Do the funky soft touch thing with the iPad mini.

They'll sell a boatload of them.