Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Eject CD from PC

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Eject CD from PC
crazychester
Dick in the Abstentia, The

2005-07-06, 07:58

Not exactly genius stuff. People honestly use this crap on a daily basis? Can't get a CD out of a PC. Worked on one of the others but no toner in printer so moved to another lab. Most of the PCs here seem to be non-functional. Found one. that appeared to be working. CD/DVD ROM drive constantly busy but says it can't find any disk. Nor will it eject it.

Quick easy solve? I'm not entirely averse to the idea of causing damage to the machine in the process. In fact, it would be rather satisfying. I'm just trying to print some pdf's for chrissakes.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-07-06, 08:05

Toss the machine out the window.

On a more useful note, and small hole on the front of the CD drive that you can put a straightened paperclip into to get the tray to eject?

Last edited by MCQ : 2005-07-06 at 08:07.
crazychester

2005-07-06, 08:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCQ
Toss the machine out the window.

On a more useful note, and small hole on the front of the CD drive that you can put a straightened paperclip into to get the tray to eject?
Don't tempt me. I've already been trying to prise the tray open while looking surreptiously over my shoulder at the security camera. I've tried the paperclip thing. All that seems to have done is make the regular CD tray button lose it's springiness, if you know what I mean. IOW, pressing the CD tray button feels like it's doing nothing.

It gets worse. I decided to try restarting. Now it's stuck in some command line mode asking me if I want to boot from the CD drive. "N" seemed like a good answer. Won't let me type in anything. I can control-alt-del and go through the whole process again or if I hold it down longer it sends me to some admins panel. I think I'm rooted.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2005-07-06, 08:31

Simply switch it off while it's rebooting, then stick the paperclip in as far as it will go, and pull the tray out.
crazychester

2005-07-06, 08:36

Actually, I'm using a broken pin or something I found on the floor. You'd think they'd keep a few crates of paper clips handy wouldn't you? I will go see if I can find a real paperclip and do as suggested but it's 11.30 pm here and there aren't a lot of people around. There goes 3 hours of my life. Bye *waves* seeya. Sigh.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2005-07-06, 08:38

When the power is off, it should be easy to pull the tray out, even if you didn't get it out very far with the pin/paperclip. Just use your nails ... Good night
crazychester

2005-07-06, 08:47

Found a bobby pin in the other lab. Other thing I had wasn't long enough. A thousand thank yous. And now, like a lamb to the slaughter, I'm trying it in this one. Where'd I leave that bobby pin..........