User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iCloud
Page 6 of 8 First Previous 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8  Next Thread Tools
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2011-10-19, 00:05

Alright. So, my brother-in-law just upgraded to an iPhone 4S on Sprint (from lousy at&t) and gave me his old iPhone 3G. This is very kind, since I broke my 1st generation iPhone in July.

However, there's a major problem here. The iPhone 3G is too old to run iOS 5. This means that it won't work with iCloud. I just set up my MBA, iPad, and iPod touch with iOS 5 and iCloud. Yes, of course, I can sync the old iPhone 3G via USB. But my impression is that Apple is intentionally crippling older devices to increase the "halo effect" and force people to upgrade to newer hardware.

Yes, I could buy an unlocked iPhone 4S for something like US$ 650. However, all it would really do is combine the iOS 5 functionality of my iPod touch with the phone capability of the iPhone 3G I just got as a free gift. WTF?!?

I am completely torn between hating Apple for turning a perfectly good iPhone 3G into a relic by making it incompatible with iCloud (even though it worked perfectly with MobileMe) and just biting the bullet and splurging on an unlocked iPhone 4S just to get iOS 5 and iCloud compatibility.

Life ain't fair, I tell you!

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2011-10-19, 00:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escher View Post
Yes, I could buy an unlocked iPhone 4S for something like US$ 650.
Or a 4 for cheaper, or a 3GS for even cheaper yet, both of which will run 5.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2011-10-19, 00:22

Wow. I felt lucky my 3GS can even upgrade to iOS5. Guess people don't have the same expectations.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2011-10-19, 00:35

It depends on how you look at it. As far as smartphones go, Apple is very generous with this. The original iPhone received updates for 31 months; the 3G for 28 months. The 3GS is currently at its 27th month. Compared to other smartphones, that's rather long; there were many Windows Mobile phones where you could be lucky to receive any major update at all, and with Android, it hasn't gotten much better yet (though some manufacturers have pledged to change that).

But then you look at it as more of a computer, and the picture isn't as pretty. It's one thing not to give it major new features; it's another not to supply it with security patches any more after, well, a little over two years.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2011-10-19, 00:46

Things do change fast in the smartphone market. It reminds me the old computer days way when your 2000$ machine would be obolete within a year.

Well at least with the twenty x months cycle, you're covered for your whole contract.
chucker

2011-10-19, 00:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmegatool View Post
Well at least with the twenty x months cycle, you're covered for your whole contract.
Yep, but I doubt I'm the only one who passes on the iPhone to someone else in the family after I've used it. Who will, from day one, have one with known security issues.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2011-10-19, 02:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Yep, but I doubt I'm the only one who passes on the iPhone to someone else in the family after I've used it. Who will, from day one, have one with known security issues.
That's exactly it, chucker!

If I have to, I'll gladly (or at least reluctantly) splurge on a new iPhone 4S. But anybody who is interested in iCloud will think of the iPhone 3G as a paperweight that isn't even heavy enough to be a door stop. Even if I re-gift it to somebody else, they will still be excluded from iCloud.

I know Apple makes its money off hardware sales, and is making old hardware obsolete to sell more new hardware. However, you'd figure there would be a way to pay up to get the old hardware to play along, or at least be compatible with the latest software and/or service, like iCloud!

Right now, the only option to get an iPhone 3G to work with iOS 5 and iCloud is to buy an iPhone 4S (or, as chucker points out, an iPhone 3GS or 4). Seems a bit draconian to me, especially after MobileMe -- which I gladly paid for as long as I could -- always worked with every old bit outdated Apple hardware.

Meh.

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
Eugene
careful with axes

2011-10-19, 03:16

iPhone 3G = virtually unusable with iOS 4 as is (even without the multitasking), so it's not really Apple trying to upsell you a new phone. They way I see it, the 3GS runs reasonably well with iOS 5 and 2-year old phones are basically fossils...
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-10-19, 19:00

Shit... my .Mac account is empty.... no idea what's happening... I haven't changed anything on my end... I guess I upgraded my iPhone/iPad to iOS 5 - maybe I agreed to iCloud or something? Could that be it??

Crap.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Dutch Pear

2011-10-20, 07:13

So... Icloud.... [bitchfest warning....]

While I am liking photostream very much, the one thing I was looking forward to the most was documents in the cloud, specifically for automatic syncing of iWork documents between my macs and iPhone. Maybe I've missed anouncements by apple on this, but I was fully expecting the Lion 10.7.2 update to enable this within the osX iWork apps (possibly with an update to those as well?)

The current 'solution' of manually uploading and downloading to iCloud.com is no better than the old solution of dragging/dropping stuff through iTunes, so I am quite disappointed that the one iCloud simplification I was looking forward to the most... Is just not there without any explanation or ETA from apple.

I understand the issues about the very different UI of iOS and osX regarding the presence/absence of a user-accessible filesystem, but was fully expecting apple to have figured this one out, elegantly, before, you know, releasing iCloud as a document-syncing tool??

I have been looking around the web, but could not find any decent info on the why, how or when?? Anyone here read or here anything?
[/bitchfest warning....]
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2011-10-20, 07:51

It's been technically implemented (see ~/Library/Mobile Documents/) in Lion, just not added to iWork's UI. It'll come eventually.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2011-10-20, 12:07

I hear exactly what you are saying, Dutch Pear!

I mean, how easy would it have been for Apple to replicate the functionality offered by DropBox after the founders refused to sell out to them?!?

iCloud was supposed to be better than MobileMe! Hopefully it won't take too long for iCloud to live up to users' expectations. I'm certainly still crossing my fingers...

chucker

2011-10-20, 12:57

Matter of time. They already took far too great a risk (and there were plenty of failures!) by updating iOS to 5, Mac OS X to 10.7.2, Aperture to 3.2 and iPhoto to 9.2, updating iWork for iOS, introducing iCloud*, and releasing various new tools like Find My Friends and AirPort Utility for iOS, and all the other things I forgot. If anything, given the frustration some endured with dataloss and all, they probably should have done less in one go, not more.

*) I like to think of it as iCloud 1.0, really. Unlike iTools/.mac/Mobile Me, I think they're going for a proper 'software platform' here.
Partial
Stallion

2011-10-20, 15:44

Anyone know how to get my exchange calendar events to be added to my Apple/iCloud work calendar AND my exchange calendar? Is this possible? When I get a work email in Apple mail and accept the invite, it's added only to my Exchange calendar in iCal. I want it to show up in iCloud if possible.

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2011-10-20, 16:36

Quote:
I like to think of it as iCloud 1.0, really.
Great perspective, chucker! This really is a one-point-oh release. And even though iCloud is no longer labeled as a beta, those who upgraded and migrated to all of the above are "first adopters" and, as such, may have paid a price for jumping the gun.

Apple extended MobileMe subscriptions until June 2012. So, we could have stuck with MobileMe for another nine months! In my case, if I had stuck with MobileMe, the iPhone 3G that I just inherited would still be compatible. Of course, being the Apple fan boy and tech nerd that I am, I couldn't live without the latest and greatest from Apple, i.e. iCloud.

Oh well... that's life on the edge!

screensaver400
Veteran Member

2011-10-20, 17:09

I believe even the iPhone 3G is still compatible with iCloud, you just have to set it up manually. Obviously you don't get cloud backups and such, but email, contacts, and calendars should still work. Google around for the iCloud servers (IMAP, SMTP, CalDAV, etc).
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2011-10-20, 22:25

Sure would be nice! My fear is that OTA sync is definitely off the table...

Will look into manual configuration, though.
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2011-10-20, 23:20

Here you go:
http://pwnmyi.com/how-to-setup-iclou...ur-own-client/

What do you mean by ota sync? If MobileMe did it, and it involves mail, contacts or calendars, it should still work with those servers.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2011-10-21, 01:10

Thanks for the link, screensaver400! I should have time to check it out over the weekend. Really curious to figure this out if it can indeed be done!

OTA = over-the-air

In other words, OTA means wireless synchronization via the Cloud, i.e. without connecting a USB cable between your iOS device and Mac/PC running iTunes.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-10-21, 01:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by screensaver400 View Post
The hostnames in that screenshot may not work for everyone. "p03" is only one of (presumably) many servers.

Here's a more comprehensive explanation from Mac OS X Hints:

http://hints.macworld.com/article.ph...11014102515403

Quote:
There is a way to add an iCloud Calendar in iCal in Snow Leopard.

Open iCal in Snow Leopard (if is up to date, it should be Version 4.0.4 (1395.7).
  • Select 'Preferences' from the iCal Drop Down Menu.
  • Click the + sign to add a new Calendar.
  • Select the 'CalDAV' option under the Account type.
  • Enter your 'User name' which is your iCloud .me email address.
  • Enter your iCloud 'Password'.
  • Now comes the tricky part; the 'Server address'. See below.
It will be of the form pXX-caldav.icloud.com (the XX would be numbers of the dedicated server). I was able to determine this value by sending an invite to another one of my other email accounts and clicking the 'Accept' button. This will open the reply in a web browser. If you look at the long URL, at the end there is a pXX value and that's the dedicated server.

Once that is done, the calendar will show up iCal. However, a few minor updates will need to be done so that it behaves just like in Lion's iCal.

Click the 'Server Settings' tab for your new calendar and update the 'Server address' with your pXX-caldav.icloud.com.

Next you need to update the 'Server path'. The way that it was configured is based on the MobileMe configuration and it needs to be updated to the iCloud. The value that MobileMe has is /principals/users/1.XXXXXXXXXX/ (The XXXXXXX is the dedicated number for your account. Update the path to /XXXXXXXXXX/principal/.

Update the 'Port' to 443 and select the 'Use SSL' option if is not selected.

Restart iCal in Snow Leopard. The Calendar will refresh.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2011-10-21, 01:42

Thanks for the extra insight, Brad, as always!
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2011-10-21, 01:49

PS: To be honest, the iPhone 3G is friggin' slow as molasses. This is compared to my iPod touch running iOS 5 and the iPhone 4S I have played with. As far as I can tell, the 3G is just as slow, if not slower, than my 1st gen iPhone (2G) was. Not sure if I'm going to be able to live with this...

Of course, if I can get my hands on an unlocked iPhone 4S come November, this whole point about slow legacy hardware will be moot. I'm kind of hoping that I will fall for the 4S, because I'm too lazy to deal with the compatibility and performance issues of legacy hardware.

chucker

2011-10-21, 03:40

Quote:
As far as I can tell, the 3G is just as slow, if not slower, than my 1st gen iPhone (2G) was.
Same CPU, same GPU, same RAM, so… yep. Faster at cellular transfers, obviously, but slightly slower at everything else due to additions.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2011-10-21, 08:31

Just restored from an iCloud backup. Been having some issues with bluetooth audio, so I figured I'd give a restore a shot.

The restore from iCloud was perfect. Took a few mins to download all of my settings and then it downloaded all of my apps from the App Store again.

Apple really nailed this. Well done.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-10-21, 08:50

I just had to update my AppleID password. I had been using a 7 character password (I know, I know...) and it made me change it to 8+. But aside from that and my camera issue, which is likely completely unrelated to my iCloud restore, it's been perfect for me. Changes propagate nearly instantly.

My wife also had a similar experience restoring from an iCloud backup. The only issue was the long upload time for the first backup because our upload speeds suck complete ass.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Partial
Stallion

2011-10-21, 09:41

Photostream is a godsend. Yes, it sucks that you can't delete individual images (I'm fairly certain you can from a computer), but I'm sure that is coming soon. If they add iCloud based sharing of albums (or something to that effect), it will seriously be a killer app. This is by far my favorite feature. Managing photos between my GFs camera, my camera, her computer, my computer, and my workstation is such a pain. This completely solves this!!!!

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2011-10-21, 09:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
I just had to update my AppleID password. I had been using a 7 character password (I know, I know...) and it made me change it to 8+. But aside from that and my camera issue, which is likely completely unrelated to my iCloud restore, it's been perfect for me. Changes propagate nearly instantly.

My wife also had a similar experience restoring from an iCloud backup. The only issue was the long upload time for the first backup because our upload speeds suck complete ass.
I had to change my AppleID password too. I don't use iCloud, I'm still on iOS 4.3 and Snow Leopard. Happened like 2-3 days ago. I just couldn't enter my password on the App Store. I headed to Apple's website to change it... So I lost my cool 9 characters password to a new one that MUST contain a capital letter and a number.

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2011-10-21, 23:35

Quote:
Same CPU, same GPU, same RAM, so… yep. Faster at cellular transfers, obviously, but slightly slower at everything else due to additions.
Thanks, chucker! So many years have passed since the original iPhone and the 3G came out that I completely forgot they had virtually identical specs! That explains why the slowness of the 3G is quite unbearable, especially side-by-side with my recent iPod touch.

Don't know if I will be able to live with this 3G. I may have to get an unlocked 4S as soon as they are available in November...

dmegatool
Custom User Title

2011-10-22, 08:14

Quote:
I may have to get an unlocked 4S as soon as they are available in November...
Seems like off contract at&t phones are already unlocked. Google it. Ex : http://www.idownloadblog.com/2011/10...eady-unlocked/
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2011-10-23, 10:55

Yeah, I read that. But it sounds like you need to be a current AT&T customer, who is not yet eligible for a subsidized upgrade or unwilling to re-sign for a 2-year contract. No?

I have an old AT&T SIM card somewhere. Maybe I should just try. I was actually at an Apple Store yesterday. Shoulda woulda coulda just asked...