User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Mac OSX Yosemite (10.10) Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Mac OSX Yosemite (10.10) Thread
Page 4 of 10 Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8  Next Last Thread Tools
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2014-08-18, 02:10

I see this sometimes, yes.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2014-10-16, 22:20

No comments yet from non testers?

Okay, I don't fall into that group, since I've been using Yosemite since DP 1, although not full time until the first GM Candidate came out a while back. I guess there isn't much to say other than that I've found it very stable for the last number of builds and wouldn't hesitate to say, upgrade now unless you know for sure that some of the apps you need won't work.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2014-10-16, 22:45

I don't know if it's a 10.10 issue or a iOS 8.0.2 issue but I'm having problems pairing my iPhone 6 Plus to my MacBook Pro. It's showing two of my MBP's on my phone but it appears one is an old one so there's interference issues. The forget this device option is greyes out. After digging around it seems like a lot of other people have had this issue too. I chatted with Apple online but they weren't any help.
Wrao
Yarp

2014-10-16, 22:53

Initial impressions are not encouraging. Everything feels slower, a bit laggier. Not digging the Safari redesign, seems arbitrary and less functional. But even like, just typing is lagging for me occasionally or just moving the mouse around the screen. How is Apple *so bad* at things sometimes? I mean you could excuse it happening with iPhones somewhat because each revision tended to be a huge performance and feature leap and all, but desktops? Sure maybe if I was using an 8 or 9 year old computer. But a 3 year old top-of-the-line iMac?

Hopefully it's just a case of the computer doing some one-time things having recently rebooted and all and it cleans itself up and gets back to form. But I'm not sure that'll do it, already seeing some minor UI changes that just seem slower.

Bah.

To clarify though, Safari feels like it is loading pages faster and handling its elements faster overall, but I am seeing weird chirps of lag that I didn't see before.

Other than that though. Actually liking the new look more than I thought I would. Going to take a bit of getting used to for some things, but the dock and folders and many of the new icons look nice.

Also, anyone noticing that scrolling and mouse tracking feels different somehow? It's hard to describe really, but it almost feels as if the center of the mouse icon was shifted slightly. Like it just feels lower than it should be or something like that. Maybe I'm tripping. Mouse movement does feel different though, slightly, as does scrolling. Scrolling feels a bit more 'weighted' for lack of a better term, probably a consequence of my poor mouse's scroll wheel. Should try it on the magic trackpad(which I need new rechargeable batteries for)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-10-16, 23:06

Same here. Safari and iTunes are just silly now, IMO. Just updating all this stuff has been a nearly-two-hour thing, but I'm gonna chalk that up to Apple's servers being hit hard. But my iMac now just feels a bit slower/less-responsive overall. Not bad, but until Yosemite, I'd launch Safari or open a new page and *BOOM!* there it all was. Now it has to "think", I guess? Maybe Spotlight is still doing stuff behind the scenes? But the new Safari definitely isn't faster or more responsive/snappy...quite the opposite.

I like the new menu font for Yosemite, but the iLife icons really stand out now (well, the Garageband and iMovie ones, anyway). They still kinda look "old school" and photorealistic or dimensional. I actually like the new icons for Safari, FaceBook, Contacts, the iWork apps, etc. That ugly new iTunes icon - both the red and the shape of the music note itself - will take a little getting used to.

I don't know...so much of what I'm seeing just seems "because we can" and not necessarily "because we should". That's my initial, gut impression. After the weekend - once everything is updated and maybe I get some of that responsiveness back (and get used to the new, general look) - I'll start to feel differently about it.

I miss my iTunes sidebar. They really did a top-down rework (again)) on iTunes (I wish they'd kinda leave it the hell alone for 2-3 years. Every time I get used to the new, goofy version, they go and make an even weirder, harder-to-use (and counter-intuitive) version that always takes me about a day or two to fully get my head around and get used to).
Wrao
Yarp

2014-10-16, 23:06

Just had my mouse cursor teleport across the screen because it lagged. That is completely and utterly unacceptable. I will not tolerate that at all. That had better have been a freak occurrence or I'm selling this iMac and getting a friggin Samsung or some shit. Just happened again. I am not enjoying this.

Last edited by Wrao : 2014-10-16 at 23:21.
Wrao
Yarp

2014-10-16, 23:16

The iTunes sidebar is still there, you just have to hit "playlists" and not "my music"

omfg, my mouse keeps skipping. This is pathetic, Apple. Completely pathetic. iTunes seems to make my mouse skip. If iTunes is in focus, my mouse just stops performing properly. Safari it's fine. That is baffling and upsetting.

This mouse thing is driving me crazy. Trying SmoothMouse now, hopefully that helps.

SmoothMouse fixed everything. Now the mouse is performing better than it ever has actually. Glad that's over. That was seriously stressing me out.

Last edited by Wrao : 2014-10-16 at 23:35.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-10-16, 23:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
The iTunes sidebar is still there, you just have to hit "playlists" and not "my music".
Ah...there it is! Yay...you do the "Playlists" thing, which then defaults back to the album cover view. But if you go to View Options and choose "Songs", you get it all back. It was that way before, but they've moved everything around and it was taking me longer to find it. They make you work for it!

I wish new versions of iTunes would install, but leave all your view options/settings the hell alone and quit defaulting back to all that other stuff (kinda like how every time you install an iOS update, it boots back up with Bluetooth turned on by default).

Leave my stuff the way it was, and just put the new version on. Don't make me have to waste time going through this "put it back the way I had it (and prefer)" ritual every time a new major version of iTunes is released (because they screw with it constantly).
Wrao
Yarp

2014-10-16, 23:40

I'm liking the new iTunes overall. But yeah, arbitrary UI movement is arbitrary.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2014-10-16, 23:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
Initial impressions are not encouraging. Everything feels slower, a bit laggier. Not digging the Safari redesign, seems arbitrary and less functional. But even like, just typing is lagging for me occasionally or just moving the mouse around the screen. How is Apple *so bad* at things sometimes? I mean you could excuse it happening with iPhones somewhat because each revision tended to be a huge performance and feature leap and all, but desktops? Sure maybe if I was using an 8 or 9 year old computer. But a 3 year old top-of-the-line iMac?

Hopefully it's just a case of the computer doing some one-time things having recently rebooted and all and it cleans itself up and gets back to form. But I'm not sure that'll do it, already seeing some minor UI changes that just seem slower.

Bah.

To clarify though, Safari feels like it is loading pages faster and handling its elements faster overall, but I am seeing weird chirps of lag that I didn't see before.

Other than that though. Actually liking the new look more than I thought I would. Going to take a bit of getting used to for some things, but the dock and folders and many of the new icons look nice.

Also, anyone noticing that scrolling and mouse tracking feels different somehow? It's hard to describe really, but it almost feels as if the center of the mouse icon was shifted slightly. Like it just feels lower than it should be or something like that. Maybe I'm tripping. Mouse movement does feel different though, slightly, as does scrolling. Scrolling feels a bit more 'weighted' for lack of a better term, probably a consequence of my poor mouse's scroll wheel. Should try it on the magic trackpad(which I need new rechargeable batteries for)
Interesting. I cannot say I've noticed any speed difference between 10.10 and 10.9 overall, even throughout the testing period. My 3 year old mid range 27" iMac (2011 2.7Ghz Core i5) is handling it just fine, but then I have 16GB of RAM. In any case I always hold judgement calls on speed for 4-6 hours, and a reboot after installing OS updates for a few reasons, 1) Spotlight Indexing, which hogs RAM and CPU cycle for a while, depends on how much data you have, 2) Odd stuff just seems to get fixed after the first reboot. Oh and 3), remember to repair permissions!

The new Safari is in good shape compared to when testing first started! It took me a while to get used to the new interface, but once I did it just became natural. I agree that sometimes Apple just seems to change things for the sake of change, regardless of the impact for the end user.

I haven't noticed mouse differences, but then I use a third party mouse, which uses third party drivers.
Wrao
Yarp

2014-10-17, 00:01

Yeah, things seem to be smoothing out a bit since that initial wtf. SmoothMouse fixed the mouse issue, and performance seems to have stabilized somewhat. My iMac is more powerful than yours, same year, slightly less RAM, but it should be completely solid so I'm pretty reactive whenever this stuff happens and Apple has been increasingly having more and more small letdowns in their software that I'm not about to just let them off the hook.

How's moving windows around in finder? I'm noticing that to chug a little more than I'd like, but it's not dealbreakingly bad or anything.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2014-10-17, 00:18

I have not noticed any Finder issues for a while, and it seems smooth on my system. Lets put it this way, I've been beta testing since Lion and this is the most solid 10.x.0 OS release I've seen in that time.

I think some of it comes down to individual user settings, apps, etc and how they interact with the new OS launch. Some areas are still a little rough, but as I noted, it is much better than some of the last few releases. It's also possible that I don't notice some of the hiccups because I have been using the OS for some time now.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2014-10-17, 08:27

I've been running the betas all summer and the last GM candidate was the best it's been by far. (I haven't looked. Are they the same build?)

The actual 10.10 release seemed slow as hell last night, but I chalked that up to Spotlight and other things doing their things. It was much faster the night before on the GM.

I'm hoping that leaving it alone all day today will let it get back to the speed I had before.

I really like the design overall and I like that they didn't go too radical with this one.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2014-10-17, 09:46

Is Handoff tied through Bluetooth or Wifi? I am having issue getting it to work.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2014-10-17, 10:19

Handoff needs the Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy standard. Most modern Macs have it.

Check here to see if you do. http://www.imore.com/how-tell-if-you...s-bluetooth-40

The Calling features, like using your iPhone to make a cellular call from your Mac, need WiFi

Wrao
Yarp

2014-10-17, 10:55

Yes, I definitely overreacted to the slowness. It just took a lot longer than expected to smooth out. Now that it has, it seems fine. Though I'm still a little skeptical around the edges. Though one thing that surprises me considering it is an EOL product(I think?) is that iPhoto seems noticeably faster across the board.

My iMac only has BT 2.1, too bad, I was looking forward to playing around with Handoff, seems like a good concept. Oh well.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2014-10-17, 11:05

Aperture is still dog slow for me with my 2103 iMac, but that's not too big a deal. Really looking forward to the new Photos app next year.

Handoff is really cool when it works and really frustrating when it doesn't. No real rhyme or reason as to when it fails.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2014-10-17, 11:06

How big is your Aperture Library? Have you ever rebuilt the Library or run permission scripts on it (tools built into Aperture). I only ask because it is quick for me (same as before).
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2014-10-17, 11:10

It asked to rebuild last night, so I set that to do so. Haven't touched it yet today.

I don't know how big it is off the top of my head. Not super big though.

Seems to be very slow when it's updating Photo Stream.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2014-10-17, 11:38

Ah that could be it. I don't use Photo Stream, so that might be why I don't notice that issue.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2014-10-17, 12:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
Handoff needs the Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy standard. Most modern Macs have it.

Check here to see if you do. http://www.imore.com/how-tell-if-you...s-bluetooth-40

The Calling features, like using your iPhone to make a cellular call from your Mac, need WiFi
Ok, that's what I figured. I'm having issues with Bluetooth sync between my MBP and iPhone currently though. I think it has something to do with an iCloud backup from the old phone. Seems like a lot of other people are having the same issue. I'm holding out hope that 8.1 will fix it.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2014-10-17, 12:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Ah that could be it. I don't use Photo Stream, so that might be why I don't notice that issue.
I don't even know why Photo Stream still exists, with iCloud Photo Library being out there and all. I'm thinking of just turning it off in Aperture for the time being and see if that helps.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2014-10-17, 12:32

Well strangely enough, I restarted my MBP (which I did several times last night) and Continuity started working without my iPhone and my MBP being synced via Bluetooth.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-10-17, 13:10

Downloading the installer to put it on a USB thumb drive to go install on my Mom's iMac and MacBook Air. I'm downloading it again from the App Store (to download the complete installer, which is step one). I clicked on the button to do this, and it says "downloading"...but nothing is showing in my Applications folder, I've got no progress bar or any sort of feedback as to what's downloading, how long is left, etc.

Is this a "feature"? You just close you eyes and hope, and check back in 10-15 minutes?

EDIT: Okay, seriously...WTF is going on? First off Diskmaker X's site is down (I had to download it through a mirror site mentioned at their Twitter feed). Now I'm just trying to download the damn Yosemite 5GB installer file to create my USB boot/install drive (I've done this before, with zero hassle/problems, with Mavericks and Mountain Lion).

I restarted my iMac and tried again to download Yosemite from the Mac App Store. Once again, I'm presented with a message that basically says "OS X Yosemite is already installed on this computer. If you want to install the 10.10 update, click the Updates button. If you want to download the full installer, click continue". I clicked continue, the download button then changes to "Downloading", but once again I have no progress bars anywhere (in App Store, the Finder, in my Applications folder).

All that's in my Applications folder is a 146KB "OS X Yosemite" file with a created time of 2:15 (about five minutes ago, when I clicked the "download" button in the Mac App Store.

Can someone tell me what the hell I'm doing wrong? I've always been able to download a copy of the installer with Mavericks. It goes right to my Applications folder, it's called Installer for OS X (or something like that), and I can see the progress download the entire time.

None of that is happening now...I have no idea what, if anything, is downloading. Or where it's going, how much time remains, etc. Nothing is giving me any sort of useful, reassuring feedback.

It's almost as if someone is saying "don't make this Yosemite installer file", because the whole process has done nothing but fight me for 30 damn minutes. I should already be done with all this by now...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2014-10-17 at 13:24.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2014-10-17, 13:27

Had no trouble downloading the installer. I ran into the same message (since I had a GM build before the final installer) and it showed a progress bar on the Launchpad and then appeared in the Applications folder as "Install OS X Yosemite." I always make a copy of the installer onto an external drive before installing, just to be on the safe side.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2014-10-17, 18:27

Had a little hiccup installing 10.10. It downloaded and started the install process just fine. But during the first reboot, the progress bar froze and the screen turned grey. Left it there for 20 minutes, but it was clearly pooched. Forced a restart, and no startup drive was detected. Yippie!

Fortunately I repair permissions, check the volume, and make a disk image before major OS updates. I fired up target disk mode and restored the image. 3 hours later, the second try went off without a hitch.

I like it a little more then 10.9. Still wish Apple brought back the web server under sharing (used that a lot) and the detect displays button because the screen likes to reset to weird resolutions a ton. Sucks to have to hold down the option key to uncover invisible buttons in the system preferences of all places.

Did not expect the red iTunes icon. My first thought was 10.10 had a new way of indicating incompatible programs. That was a surprise

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
Wrao
Yarp

2014-10-17, 20:14

So, the mouse is completely unusable by default in Yosemite. Aside from the atrocious lag that is maddeningly inconsistent across apps and even different websites(for instance, I was playing with it just now and it was smooth on one site then completely erratic on another) but it also won't click and highlight text at all.

That's a pretty ridiculous bug/glitch/whatever to have I think. I can only suspect Apple really doesn't care about mice and focuses all their tracking, scrolling, clicking and I/O manipulation from the trackpad. Similarly, the fact that SmoothMouse was able to fix it all(sort of, there are still a couple of quirks, but it's at least usable) and that there are so many other drivers and utilities to correct these problems is a bit surprising as well. Just makes you really scratch your head. How could they cock up something like basic mouse tracking? I mean they practically invented the mouse(yeah yeah I know all about PARC, just saying, Apple's been on this shit forever)

reliable mouse tracking is the type of thing that should be still working even while the system is crashing, imo. It is sacrosanct. You don't mess with it if you don't have to, and you damn well make sure you don't put out something that hasn't been thoroughly tested.

But as with so many other Apple quirks, I really have to wonder if they even do testing beyond a very limited set of products they want users to buy. Not that I would expect them to test every mouse on the market or whatever, but when my mouse used to work flawlessly and now it's working like ass, just like that, I mean, come on. It's not a cheap mouse either and I even have a high quality mouse pad.

Has anyone else seen this?
addabox
Veteran Member

2014-10-17, 21:06

Have you tried a different mouse? I googled "mouse behavior OS X Yosemite" and didn't get any hits at all specifically about that (there were a few for mouse weirdness under Mavericks and earlier).

I'm just wondering if you have some specific driver/hardware issue, rather than any kind of general Yosemite bug.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
Ryan
Veteran Member

2014-10-17, 22:52

Trying to install Yosemite, been stuck on "about a minute remaining" for ten minutes.
Wrao
Yarp

2014-10-17, 23:04

Unfortunately I literally don't have another mouse to test with as my last one broke and I gave my Apple mouse to someone. It very well could be this mouse specifically but it is odd that it would suddenly start becoming *this* bad just from Yosemite.

But you know what I just remembered/realized. It's a gamer mouse, specifically, it's optical. Which is fine because I have a high quality mousepad, tracking is normally very very smooth but I'm left wondering if maybe, just maybe, Yosemite just doesn't 'do' optical mice anymore somehow or another. It's also a wired mouse so it's not a connection issue.