AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Professor: Were you high or on drugs?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Professor: Were you high or on drugs?
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2006-04-03, 17:48

If you had a professor ask to see you after class and then ask you that question, what would you do if you in fact, were not on any drugs or ever even take them?

We were doing group presentations in class and as usual, when I present I try to break the ice and make myself feel more at ease by being humorous and light-hearted. I am not all show and no substance though, as I did add in useful points and significant contributions to the presentation. Nobody else that I talked to thought that anything abnormal was going on.

Now, it's important to know that this professor really seems to have it out for me, as he told me that I am 'usually disruptive in class' and by disruptive I think he actually feels insecure because i ask tough questions and make good observations.

At this point, I don't know what to do.

My response to his question was, "First of all, i am offended by that, and secondly, no; I was not on and do not take drugs."

What an asshole!

I just wonder if I have grounds for complaining in hopes of getting him reprimanded in some way?

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration

Last edited by Messiahtosh : 2006-04-03 at 19:05.

curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2006-04-03, 18:07

You didn't wear the Red Blazer, did you?

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-04-03, 18:20

Maybe you came off as unprofessional or a dweeb?

Perhaps your professor doesn't think your comments in class are particularly insightful, have you asked any other students their opinions on your questions or are you basing your judgement of them on your personal knowledge of how awesome(tm) they are?

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2006-04-03, 18:24

Hm, I've had experience in this. It doesn't end well, whatever your answer is.

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-04-03, 18:27

Oh, and this is a communications course taught by someone with a masters? Of course he has issues of insecurity -- standing between you and him is a very thin piece of paper...

ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-04-03, 18:28

I don't know about other campuses, but we are supposed to confront students and report apparent alcohol or drug abuse. If he really thought you were high, that question wasn't completely off.

But he may just have been an asshole. You should talk to him or to a mediator about this. They will probably be able to tell if that particular professor has a history of harassing students.

In any case, you should take the picture down. You're accusing somebody of inappropriate behavior here, that could get you into more trouble than it's worth.

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-04-03, 18:35

You remind me of a friend of mine, Messiahtosh. Now, the difference is that you're doing something with your life while he is not, but you both seem like the kinds of people who are likely to attempt humor and fail so miserably that others may wonder what you're even thinking. If I didn't KNOW my friend was a drug-free person (simply because I can't imagine him even figuring out how to buy drugs), I may have assumed in the past that he was on something.

The most important thing is to just realize that you're not always funny, and that people will accept you if you're not. My friend not only doesn't realize he's not funny, but he also refuses to believe that he has any faults at all, and it's led to some major problems (he is constantly in debt, and he recently quit a steady, reliable, well-paying job... again). I know you're not like that, Messiahtosh, but maybe you should just not make too many attempts at humor, especially when it isn't necessarily called for. Lord knows your attempts here have fallen flat, at best.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-04-03, 18:40

Yeah, I agree.

Chris, sometimes the humor/lighthearted thing is completely inappropriate, out of place and unprofessional. And, to some, just plain irksome.

And considering how things HERE have gone, over time, I could all but imagine how some of your in-class antics must play out.

Yikes!

I'd take the guy's photo down, though. That's harsh and skirts into an iffy area, IMO. You wouldn't want that done to you, right?

Frankly - and I'm being 100% honest and straight here - I don't think you have a case or a leg to stand on whatsoever.

Sorry.

Half the time, I wonder if you're "on something"...

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2006-04-03, 19:10

No, you guy are going by a lot of past events and are not considering the fact that I was not ridiculous or out of place. I was doing normal things, stuff that people considered fine and completely acceptable in the situation.

Are we living in a time where all you have to do is act like a robot and not show your personality?

And to all of you who say things like, "well, you're not so normal around here..."

I have been the Apple Campus Rep at Penn State for 2 years and have done well and my boss likes me. People will tell my boss directly that they enjoyed talking with me and that I am helpful and knowledgeable.

It irks me that none of you would stick up for me in this case, where I was accused of something that I definitely did not do, and made to feel bad about myself for no reason at all.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration

curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2006-04-03, 19:22

It's class, not the pub. Your peer group isn't the judge of what's acceptable... your instructor is.

Ice-breaking is fine for social situations, but perhaps he was expecting professionalism and you decided to take the class-clown route... if you've displayed 'disruptive' behaviour in class before and he's mentioned it to you (whether justified or not), wouldn't you tend to err on the side of the clue stick by not pissing him off further?

Geez man, you haven't provided enough detail or context for us to judge, but there are times when appropriate-to-audience choices seem to go right over your head. Your audience in a course presentation is the one who hands out marks, not the peeps who high five you afterwards for your ghetto jive.

It's a college course. Maybe treating it more like an academic environment and less like "make sure Chris is comfortable/popular/indulged" situation is smart policy. Attitudes that suggest you think you're smarter than him (even if true) will not help your cause either. Trust me.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but you're playing the martyr pretty hard, and it seems logical that instructors might find comedy instead of content somewhat insulting. The fact that you seem to associate professionalism with "lack of personality/robot" suggests you'd rather manufacture excuses for your behaviour than address it impartially and concentrate on substance rather than style.

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.

Last edited by curiousuburb : 2006-04-03 at 19:37.

Wrao
Yarp

2006-04-03, 19:24

Just because the class thought it was acceptable or 'cool' doesn't mean that it is acceptable or cool, you have to remember they are your peers after all. Whether or not you actually acted out-of-line or needlessly silly/unprofessional, I can't say, since I don't know exactly what happened. But if your professor would go so far as to accuse you of being high, it must have been pretty goofy. The professor might have a rod up his butt, but that doesn't make him any more wrong for trying to maintain what he perceives as integrity and maturity in the classroom.

Or maybe he was just having a bad day and needed to take it out on someone. All in all, I don't think it's a big deal, and maybe you should do some drugs anyway just to prove a point.

Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2006-04-03, 19:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej
Hm, I've had experience in this. It doesn't end well, whatever your answer is.
"Well yes actually, I was high as a kite throughout your class. So?"

Messiahtosh: for what's it worth, I think a sense of humour in the classroom is pretty vital for a good learning atmosphere. I also think your professor's question was totally out of line regardless of whether your joking was appropriate or not, and if I were you I would at the very least file an official complaint about his behaviour. These professors sometimes think they can get away with murder, mostly because they've rarely been challenged over the years. Sometimes a complaint about their outrageous behaviour bumps them back into the real world. Ensconced away in academia it's easy to forget you have to meet real-world standards of politeness and respect like everyone else.

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2006-04-03, 19:42

Yeah, it's interesting because my behavior was understated and nothing to even point out. He chose to point it out simply because he wanted something to say to me. Other kids in the class seemingly spend their time talking just to get to punch-lines and REALLY joke around without point or substance behind it.

I only said something that made people chuckle a little bit, nothing crazy, on-going, or inappropriate.

Maybe you had to be there? Though, you didn't have to be there to know that the professor DID ask me if i was on drugs. Under any circumstance, especially after-the-fact, I think that question is off-base. He was just trying to upset me and make me feel below him.

Well, it worked, because I am upset that he would ask it. Mostly I'm upset because I never would have dreamed that he could have come to such a conclusion.

It was strange to hear him say that. I bet the look on my face was priceless when he said it; I probably looked like I had just sucked on a lemon.

atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2006-04-03, 19:49

What, exactly, was the joke you cracked?

Or are you too embarrased to say...

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2006-04-03, 19:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans
What, exactly, was the joke you cracked?

Or are you too embarrased to say...
The project was to design a tv-ad for tourism in the state of Wisconsin. We had to give the class some background on the state, explain our findings for why we chose the strategy that we came up with, and to show them a story-board for the ad.

All I said was something like, "Though Wisconsin is known for dairy products, Green Bay Packers fans, Vince Lombardi, frozen tundras, cheese, etc....we felt the best way to attract people to our state was to NOT use cheese."

And then I went in to my spiel...

It got a little laugh and it was a sensibly humorous thing to say. Nothing wild, nothing drug-induced.

I hardly even remembered making a joke, until the professor made that comment to me...

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2006-04-03, 20:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
All I said was something like, "Though Wisconsin is known for dairy products, Green Bay Packers fans, Vince Lombardi, frozen tundras, cheese, etc....we felt the best way to attract people to our state was to NOT use cheese."
Well at least it was better than the "Cheerios, it turns the milk WHITE!!!" idea you came up with. Actually is this for the same class?

ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-04-03, 20:02

I can't imagine that somebody would ask that question after such a simple joke. Maybe you did something you weren't aware of? Why didn't you ask him why he'd think that?

Did you talk with one of your colleagues to find out if anybody else thought that you were acting goofy? Nobody here will be able to give you a useful answer, and it seems the back-patting you were apparently looking for isn't going to happen, either.

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2006-04-03, 20:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynical_rock
Well at least it was better than the "Cheerios, it turns the milk WHITE!!!" idea you came up with. Actually is this for the same class?
Different class.

Oh, and we were shown an ad that was just like our "It keeps the milk white idea" which had the tag-line, "no sense makes sense.

The ad we were show was from Honda, I think, and their tag line was, "It doesn't make sense to use, either."

Hmmm...

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2006-04-03, 20:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti
I can't imagine that somebody would ask that question after such a simple joke. Maybe you did something you weren't aware of? Why didn't you ask him why he'd think that?

Did you talk with one of your colleagues to find out if anybody else thought that you were acting goofy? Nobody here will be able to give you a useful answer, and it seems the back-patting you were apparently looking for isn't going to happen, either.
Yeah, I talked to another group member just now about it and she is shocked.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-04-03, 20:09

Some people's version of "humorous" is other people's version of "inappropriately distruptive". I know someone who thinks that Jim Carey is the funniest thing since sliced clown, but to many of us he is the king of over-the-top in-your-face love-it-or-piss-off annoying people. When he talks about doing his "Jim Carey" bit I have to bite my tongue. He just won't understand how the guy can be annoying because he thinks that he's being funny.

Funnily (and punnily) enough, I look back at my zany years and wince at the times I thought that I was being incredibly clever when in fact I was being incredibly sophomoric.

Tasters choice.

Chris I'm sure you remember your early days when your posts were regarded as being annoying by the board's regular members... a MACintosh GEEK par excellance. While you're the most-improved player in that department I suspect that it's possible that you just might still be a bit wild and zany at times and just not realize it when you get going. It might take twenty years to calm you down... maybe never.

So while your Prof might've been an asshat, it might be smart if you didn't regard yourself as being 'without sin'... we humans tend to be generally unreliable when relating our behavior to others. The fish get bigger, we get stronger, braver and more heroic.

My advice is to talk more to your Professor and see if there's something that they might actually have to teach you that might benefit you in the future.

And if you don't I'm going to give you an 'F' for this class.
See you on Wednesday, you better have your homework bitch.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter

Wrao
Yarp

2006-04-03, 20:09

Gosh, maybe he was just trying to score some drugs.

Wrao
Yarp

2006-04-03, 20:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops

And if you don't I'm going to give you an 'F' for this class.
See you on Wednesday, you better have your homework bitch.

Are you on drugs? he's out of class, this is a web-forum. Maybe you're high?

ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-04-03, 20:15

Thanks for illustrating the "trying, but just not funny" thing, Wrao!

autodata
hustlin

2006-04-03, 20:38

No offense to anyone (seriously...messiahtosh, I have no idea how you are in class so this isn't me making a judgement about you at all), but one universal truth I learned in college was that the students who believe they are asking "tough questions" that challenge the profs are in all cases the most obnoxious and most misguided students with the least thought-out opinions. I'm serious. They are the absolute worst, and part of what makes them so bad is that they apparently have absolutely no idea how stupid they sound. It's just their misguided teenage arrogance expressing itself in an academic setting.

Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-04-03, 20:46

ghoti to Wrao - yowza

alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-04-03, 20:48

Yeah, I'd have to second that. In most cases from what I've seen the people who ask the "tough" questions are the same people who like to hear themselves talk.

I once had a professor say to a student who liked to ask the "tough" questions:

"I don't have time for your stupid shit. Don't speak in my class again".

I thanked him when class was over.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me

curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2006-04-03, 20:52

Amen, brother.

Been there, done that, bought the soundtrack.

I even apologized to a prof once because I thought I'd been that guy.

The prof basically said "yeah, you weren't helpful, but you got the clue after a few glares". Of course, during the classes I first thought I was full of useful anecdotes that were topical and well received, but then I realized that the students weren't paying to see me, and I wasn't grading them or writing the curriculum, so I shut up and did what was asked.

Smartest thing I did in that class.

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.

Last edited by curiousuburb : 2006-04-03 at 21:01.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2006-04-03, 21:04

A student at my Uni. got suspended and had his scholarships retracted after making some accusations against one of our Dental School Profs. in an online blog. The allegations, although about his teaching manner, and the way he graduates students, were unprofessional.

I am at a private University however, I'm not sure how this applies to public schools.

User formally known as Sh0eWax

curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2006-04-03, 21:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej
A student at my Uni. got suspended and had his scholarships retracted after making some accusations against one of our Dental School Profs. in an online blog. The allegations, although about his teaching manner, and the way he graduates students, were unprofessional.

I am at a private University however, I'm not sure how this applies to public schools.
Gift Horse. Mouth. Dental School Scholarships.

The only way you'd get more irony is if it were a Veterinary Dental college.

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2006-04-03, 21:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
Yeah, I'd have to second that. In most cases from what I've seen the people who ask the "tough" questions are the same people who like to hear themselves talk.

I once had a professor say to a student who liked to ask the "tough" questions:

"I don't have time for your stupid shit. Don't speak in my class again".

I thanked him when class was over.
I agree with that, but I don't fall on that side of the fence. I chimed in with things about radio one day by mentioning the fact that radio is being hit a bit by phenomenons like the iPod and sattelite radio and he just shrugged it off.

I don't say things to hear myself talk or blurt out misguided ramblings like the one kid in philosphy class who came to the conclusion that, "there must have been a time when people started to be born with souls..."