AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

What have you named your Mac?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
What have you named your Mac?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
wretched

Send a message via AIM to wretched  
2004-09-01, 22:15

Seeing that this is my first post, let me keep this simple.

What's the name of your Mac? Any story behind it?

My Powermac G4 is called The Third Eye, for two reasons. It's one of my favorite songs from Tool, and my second reason is that, if you really think about it, a computer could be your third eye, um. Sort of.

My 12" Pbook is called the Paranoid Android just because I think that's the coolest Radiohead song and I haven't really decided on a name. I've changed the pBooks name like, three times already? hah.

I find it to be the toughest thing to do, naming a Mac or an iPod... am I just strange or are there other people out there who have the same problems?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-09-01, 22:23

My PowerBook G4 is called PowerBook G4.

I like to live on the edge.
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2004-09-01, 22:27

My Powermac is named Inigo, after a seventeenth century antinomian radical.

My laptop is named Irrumator, a very rude word in latin.

The 7600 under my desk is named Apotheosis, because it was rescued from System 8 to become a debian server.

My previous laptop was named Apologia, because I felt guilty about having two main machines (laptop and desktop).

My old iMac was named Stigmata, after a song by Ministry, the Christian reference, and the fact that I'm a sad old goth.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2004-09-01, 22:37

I am going with cartoon characters.

My PB is Nibbler, whereas my iPod is MojoJojo

wretched

2004-09-01, 22:44

my iPods name is Naomi Ver 2, my first iPod was named Naomi. Don't ask me why, I just think the name fit's an iPod O.o
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-09-01, 23:02

why, alcimedes of course, for the 17" laptop.

thanatos for my desktop. i like the idea of the backup server being the incarnation of death.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-09-01, 23:04

My Dual 500 is named "Great Old Apple" and has drives Alpha, Beta, and Gamma.

I haven't decided on a name for my new 12" PB. It's simply "Brad's Book" for now.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
wretched

2004-09-01, 23:15

Meh, I've had my Pbook for around a month exactly and I still can't come up with a name for it that'll stick. It's tough >__O It was first called "wretched" then "The Ministry" and now "the Paranoid Android"... I must look deep within... err.. yeah O.o

Don't know why the "naming" bugs me hehe.

Starsky: "Do it."
Think for Yourself. Question Authority
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-09-01, 23:44

My mac's name is Immigrant on the network. The hard drives' names are Dasein and Das Man.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-09-02, 00:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched
>__O yeah O.o
The enemy!

*runs away*
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2004-09-02, 01:21

my blue mini is called BlueWhale
my mac is called Decepticon
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2004-09-02, 08:03

my G5 is called Silver.
my 12" PB is chatterbox
art jrk

2004-09-02, 08:18

TiBook : "Stren'th of Ty"

An old friend from high school is named Ty. He was very, very thin, but we always joked about his superpower strength. Since then and even now whenever we need to call upon his "super power strength" we say out load "Stren'th of Ty" and it works. There is not a jar lid too tight, a nut too stuck, that the "stren'th of Ty" can't overcome.

Home desktop : goober

Work : art jrk

...obviously less than perfect. :\
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-09-02, 08:59

Computer name's are one thing folks, just make sure you never give your account names to anyone.

This friendly message has been brought to you by Paranoia Security... keeping your Mac safe since 10.0.

...into the light of a dark black night.
cudaboy_71

Send a message via AIM to cudaboy_71  
2004-09-02, 09:14

i've never really had a name for any of my computers--as in the boxen themselves.

but, i've always named my boot drive after myself, i.e. bob's HD. i even have a cool little icon of my head. that's not conceited, is it? *shrug*

all the other drives or partitions on the machine have had a cartoon theme. my first production machine was an 8100/80....it had calvin & hobbes (3 drives totalling 1.5gb was a lot back then )

my 8150WGS was all powerpuff girls....in fact the whole appletalk network was townsville. its boot drive was 'professor' with bubbles, buttercup, and blossom serving up files and apps. mojojojo was the backup drive.

a 9500/132 was kindof a mishmash, as i scrapped drives from past machines...so it had a HAL, a CRAY9000, and, Calvin (left over from the 8100)

a b/w G3 400 was all futurama....fry, bender, and professor. if i'd ever gotten around to making some new icons i wanted a leela :/

my current cube 450 is another mishmash...bender is now on him; i made up some better resolution icons of calvin and hobbes for osx, and i started doing some curious george icons...so i have george in a space suit, a yellow hat, and a little frog icon from one of the C.G. books (i cant remember which one)

my powerbook only has the one drive named after myself.

but, i do have a new dual 2.0 rev b G5 on order. it'll need a new theme.

i'll take some suggestions if anyone has ideas...i'll distro the icons when im done if anyone wants 'em.
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2004-09-02, 09:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched
My 12" Pbook is called the Paranoid Android just because I think that's the coolest Radiohead song and I haven't really decided on a name. I've changed the pBooks name like, three times already? hah.
You know, you really need to change the system alert to: "You know, I've got a terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."

Here's a sample. It needs to go in ~/Library/Sounds/

Last edited by staph : 2004-09-02 at 09:47.
wretched

2004-09-02, 10:03

Quote:
The enemy!
*runs away*
... I come in peace... really... :: resists urge to use emoticons :: >_> Crap!

Quote:
You know, you really need to change the system alert to: "You know, I've got a terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."

Here's a sample. It needs to go in ~/Library/Sounds/
Woohoo. Thanks, :: changes sounds :: Now that's what my pBook needed!
Purgatos

2004-09-02, 18:15

My PB is named Julius and my iPod is named Octavius.

Go Caesars!
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-09-02, 18:31

My PowerBook is called "Beat Up Pussy"

Zodiac
Shiny, Musky, Fleshy Member

2004-09-02, 19:25

i like computers but im not THAT much of a geek to name my computer. Especially a desperate cry for love name like beat up pussy.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2004-09-02, 19:41

My 8500 is named Porthos after the beagle on Enterprise. (The only reason my mom watches)

My G3 minitower is named Litt'l Cray because it wants to be... (a Cray Supercomputer, that is)

My Powerbook G3 is called Portabella, a play on word "portable."

And my Dual G5 is named Mercury after the Greek god of speed.

Didn't think to name my iPod though. Have to work on that.
I'm thinking "Akima"

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET

Last edited by Ebby : 2004-09-02 at 19:47.
ZeroKool

2004-09-02, 20:10

My Dual 1.25 MDD is Big Mac -- and my PowerBook Ti 400 is EggMacMuffin

Blueflame

Send a message via AIM to Blueflame  
2004-09-02, 20:31

My aluminum PowerBook G4 is named Alantin
My gigabit ethernet much-upgraded-powermac G4 is currently named Choedin'kal, but will soon be renamed Callandor

Choedin'kal will be given to the Dual 2.5 GHz G5 that's arriving sometime at the end of the month.
The Bondi Blue iMac is called Bela.

The homebuilt PeeCee is called...Forsaken

Blueflame

PS - Anyone else a big WoT fan?

That doesn't need a prosthetic stomach! - Guybrush Threepwood

Last edited by Blueflame : 2004-09-02 at 20:38.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2004-09-02, 20:47

Powerbook G4 = Powerbook

G4 Cube = G4 Cube

iPod = Ryan's iPod

Firewire drive = Firewire

Airport network: Ryan's Network

Beat that.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2004-09-02, 20:59

Well, I was just sticking with Macs, but if that is the challenge, than my PC is named Don't Panic after the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. It used to be the only computer our family was allowed to surf the web (Web -> Vast database of information -> Hitchhikers Guide) with because we were worried about viruses and such. Kinda funny now, looking back.

Oh, and my Wireless networks are called SporkNET and SporkNET 1MB.
Behold the power of the Spork, else it smite you in the eye! :smokey:

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-09-02, 21:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodiac
i like computers but im not THAT much of a geek to name my computer.
Well, I can't speak for everyone else, but I have a very good reason for naming my computers. Open System Preferences and click the Sharing icon. See that computer name field there? Having a memorable name makes it MUCH easier to access your computer on a LAN than having to remember an IP address.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
ShiggyMiyamoto

Send a message via AIM to ShiggyMiyamoto Send a message via MSN to ShiggyMiyamoto  
2004-09-02, 21:16

I'm really into Japanese anime so I named my iBook's 14 GB tiny ass hard drive "Moon Kingdom" because at the time I named it I was really into the anime known as Sailor Moon (not the American version mind you). My iPod is named "Gaspar no iPod" which translates to "Gaspar's iPod". It literally translates to "iPod of Gaspar" but the first translation makes more sense now doesn't it? When I get my 12" PB 1.33 Ghz I'm gonna name its HD after a character but which one I don't know yet. I just hope I get the job at the Apple store opening in my town's mall. *crosses fingers*

E-Mail: shiggymiyamoto@gmail.com
Formerly known as Proud iBook Owner 2k2 at AppleInsider.com's Forums
Naruto and Sasuke get it on! http://darwinanime.kicks-ass.net:81/..._to_Naruto.jpg <--- Ohhh YEAH!
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2004-09-02, 21:23

My pb is called "minnie" thanks to Brad's suggestion when I got my first 12" powerbook. The name has stuck around to this one too.

My iPod is called "pearly* pod" after the dual usb iBook I had when i got it. My iBook was named after a radiohead song.

My harddrive is "Yoshimi." My external drives are "Firewire HD" and "Backup". Pretty uncreative on those last two. :/
Dave
Ninja Editor

2004-09-02, 21:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame
My aluminum PowerBook G4 is named Alantin
My gigabit ethernet much-upgraded-powermac G4 is currently named Choedin'kal, but will soon be renamed Callandor

Choedin'kal will be given to the Dual 2.5 GHz G5 that's arriving sometime at the end of the month.
The Bondi Blue iMac is called Bela.

The homebuilt PeeCee is called...Forsaken

Blueflame

PS - Anyone else a big WoT fan?
Yeah, I'm a big fan, but it hadn't occurred to me to name my computer after it . My main mac's name is Tycho, and my older backup mac is named Durandal.

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2004-09-02, 22:26

I just call my Sage iMac "My Mac". I named my iPod "Turgid Man-Root" because I felt that my penis was much larger when I first got it.