Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Anyone here a "Quant"?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Anyone here a "Quant"?
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2012-03-26, 12:21

I'm changing careers. Thinking of becoming a so-called "quant". I figure there's got to be some folks here who can share their experiences with it.
ronmexico

2012-03-26, 15:06

That's an interesting field! Good luck. What do you do now? I ask because I wonder how similar this move is to your existing training.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2012-03-26, 15:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmexico View Post
That's an interesting field! Good luck. What do you do now? I ask because I wonder how similar this move is to your existing training.
I'm an Assistant Professor in Mechanical Engineering, although my PhD is in Biomedical Engineering. To make a long story short, I'm leaving a couple years before I know I would have been denied tenure. So, I have a quantitative (but mostly applied, not theoretical) background. No finance or economics training to speak of, however.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-03-26, 16:05

Just to be clear, you're not speaking of becoming a Quantity Surveyor, right?

Come again, do what?

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2012-03-26, 16:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Just to be clear, you're not speaking of becoming a Quantity Surveyor, right?

Come again, do what?

You know, "quants", the nerdy people who run the computer models on Wall Street and brought down our economy with opaque financial instruments.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2012-03-26, 19:28

I have a few friends from school that became quants on Wall Street (and nearby). One was trained in computational biology and left our PhD program to work for a hedge fund in Connecticut. One did his PhD in neuroscience. The last did his PhD in electrical engineering. All have a strong background in machine learning & Bayesian data analysis--from what they've told me this was their best asset in terms of attracting employers and getting job offers. That's about all I have to add.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2012-03-26, 20:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe View Post
I have a few friends from school that became quants on Wall Street (and nearby). One was trained in computational biology and left our PhD program to work for a hedge fund in Connecticut. One did his PhD in neuroscience. The last did his PhD in electrical engineering. All have a strong background in machine learning & Bayesian data analysis--from what they've told me this was their best asset in terms of attracting employers and getting job offers. That's about all I have to add.
Thanks, that actually makes perfect sense to me. I've been doing a lot of reading up on machine learning/data mining lately.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2012-03-27, 00:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
Thanks, that actually makes perfect sense to me. I've been doing a lot of reading up on machine learning/data mining lately.
If you're interested, Caltech has an online-telecourse in ML with video lectures that starts in April. Here's the link.

EDIT: There's also this online class from Stanford (also has video lectures, just have to register).

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick