User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Replacing a hard drive...use Carbon Copy Cloner?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Replacing a hard drive...use Carbon Copy Cloner?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-04-15, 17:05

Is this what most people do? From all I've read online, watched on YouTube, etc., you'd use as the source the current hard drive (the one being replaced). You use as the target the new drive. Then CCC (or whatever app does this sort of thing) then makes a copy of everything to that new drive, so all you have to do is pop it into the machine and everything is just like it was?

Is this correct? No having to migrate or twiddle with prefs and settings, reinstalling apps, putting your iTunes and iPhoto libraries back together, etc.

And when you format this new drive, do it as one partition, using the GUID setting and Mac OS Extended (Journaled)?

I'm just wanting final confirmation/yes from folks here I trust, and who live and breathe this stuff more than I do...

Brad, chucker, Eugene and others...give me the thumbs-up, please, and confirm my above understanding/approach (and let me know if I'm leaving anything out).

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2012-04-15, 17:09

I don't have experience with creating a bootable drive using CCC, but I do (positively) with SuperDuper!.

That said, yeah, should work just fine.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2012-04-15, 17:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
And when you format this new drive, do it as one partition, using the GUID setting and Mac OS Extended (Journaled)?
Yep.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-04-15, 17:15

Cool. Thanks. I had gathered all this from reading and watching videos. I just like to know I'm on the right path...

I'll give SuperDuper a look too. Is it as straightforward and to-the-point as CCC seems to be (that even I understood it at a glance)?
Partial
Stallion

2012-09-07, 21:42

I've bought an SSD to speed up my MBP. I want to migrate the entire drive and get the best performance. Will SuperDuper work for this task? I'm replacing the HDD with the SSD.

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2012-09-07, 23:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Cool. Thanks. I had gathered all this from reading and watching videos. I just like to know I'm on the right path...

I'll give SuperDuper a look too. Is it as straightforward and to-the-point as CCC seems to be (that even I understood it at a glance)?
I find SuperDuper to have waaay more of that than CCC.
+++ SuperDuper.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2012-09-07, 23:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial View Post
I've bought an SSD to speed up my MBP. I want to migrate the entire drive and get the best performance. Will SuperDuper work for this task? I'm replacing the HDD with the SSD.
Yep.

I just swapped my old SSD for a newer, faster, larger one a few days ago.

I started the cloning the existing drive onto the new SSD (which was in an external FireWire case) using SuperDuper, walked away for a few hours, and SuperDuper was done.

I swapped the drives, and shaved several seconds off of my already-quick boot time immediately.
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2012-09-08, 11:37

FWIW, I always just install a fresh copy of the OS on the new drive, then use Migration Assistant to copy over my files and settings. Not sure if the CCC method is better or worse, but I've never had any problems.