Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

So Long FilterIT

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
So Long FilterIT
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-11-29, 16:55

Today I found out that my absolute must-have Adobe Illustrator plug-in has been discontinued and the company that made it have shut down their website.

I cannot express how much of a loss this will be for me. That plugin offered a plethora of creativity inducing manipulations for me.

Right now it still works on my computer, but we all know how that goes.

This is one of those times when I wish that I was wealthy - I could hire a designer/programmer to create a new version of the plugin and maintain it another 20 years.

Such is life.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-12-01, 11:55

That's happened to me a couple of times since the mid-late 90's. It's frustrating because I don't know what to do when it happens. I don't own the company, I'm not able to program/code my own home-brew replacement. Funny thing is, I don't even remember what they were, it's been so long. It's the reason why I tend to "go stock/barebones" on this stuff and not introduce smaller, independent plug-ins/add-ons for this very reason...small, mom-and-pop shops aren't Adobe (or even Affinity/Serif) and you just never know when one of them is going to hit a wall, and suddenly something you've based your whole thing on stops working, being updated, being supported/improved, etc.

I just, the past 15-20 years, stay away from that stuff and run a clean, stock app (Illustrator in the past, Affinity Designer now). I'm sure it's a slight productivity/efficiency killer, day-to-day, but not as bad as having your entire setup mangled/undone on one random day.

Which version of Illustrator are you using? Part of that CC suite, I assume? Is Dimensions (vector 3D) still folded in, as it was when I was using it? I remember when Dimensions was a standalone Adobe app back in the late 90's. I jumped on it and got real good with the mapping stuff (putting words/logos on a sphere and having the software do all the curving, lighting, perspective, etc. It was great fun.

Man, there wasn't anything Illustrator couldn't do!!! It gets overshadowed by Photoshop (everyone knows Photoshop and what it does, you hear it referenced in Jeopardy! questions, etc. But Illustrator was the cool little under-the-radar brother that did its own thing really well. I remember that day I finally wrapped my head around the pen tool/bezier curves. My entire world just opened up! I'd been fighting it (using it wrong) for weeks/months and then I got a book (the Macworld Illustrator Bible by Ted Alspach and suddenly it just all magically "clicked" for me, in one afternoon. I was drawing EVERYTHING...Coke cans, ink pens, Zip disks, soccer balls, polar bears, guitars, etc. I went absolutely nuts, drunk with power, for about 3-4 days.