User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Changing Apple system icons

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Changing Apple system icons
nathanaaron02

2005-03-01, 13:56

How can this be done? Such as the "Mickey Mouse hand" that is used for clicking things, or the swirly rainbow thing used for "waiting." I love the sun spinning "loading" icon, but some of the others bug me. LOL But I can't find how to change these in the preferences section. Am I missing something? I know you can do it with a PC, wasn't sure about the Mac? Thanks!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-03-01, 14:09

Those are cursors, not icons.

They can be changed using the tool Mighty Mouse.

However, it should be noted that this software uses unconventional methods to hack system processes and manipulate protected memory and may cause instabilities. Many people use it without any problems, though. Caveat emptor.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-03-01, 14:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Those are cursors, not icons.

They can be changed using the tool Mighty Mouse.

However, it should be noted that this software uses unconventional methods to hack system processes and manipulate protected memory and may cause instabilities. Many people use it without any problems, though. Caveat emptor.
Damn Brad, you are just a plethora of information!
octavist13

2005-03-01, 14:18

Brad is smart.
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-03-01, 15:02

Hey, Brad?

nathanaaron02

2005-03-01, 15:33

Thanks Brad, I knew icons wasn't the right term, but it wasn't coming to me at the time. I can't believe you just can't change them in systems, as on a PC. Oh well. Thanks again.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-03-01, 15:51

Customization (and lack thereof) is an old discussion that boils down to two key points:

1. UI consistency and coherency has always been a mainstay of the Mac OS.
2. Extensive customization can lead to usability and support problems.

Like it or not, that's how it is.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
octavist13

2005-03-01, 23:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
2. Extensive customization can lead to usability and support problems.

Like it or not, that's how it is.
Soooo true. These guys I work with customize their machines with ANYTHING they can get their hands on. In the end they just clutter up the hard drive with a bunch of useless crap.

I like to keep my machines simple because they are real work-horses and I don't have the time to troubleshoot OS problems on top of all the work related postscript problems.