Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: Burning Man - Memorial Weekend

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: Burning Man - Memorial Weekend
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
¡Damned!

2011-05-26, 16:47

With the loss of spreadable fire in 1.6 it occurred to me that this weekend may be the last chance for another legendary burning man. So, I cordially invite all MC folks and any guests who want to come partake in the fun to the Memorial Weekend Burning Man Event™.

Also, with the addition of the Nether in 1.6, I thought it appropriate to construct this bad boy in the traditional Burning Man spot in front of Parapa:

I'm going to double-wall the body for extra burn time and add some TNT at the top tonight, but I was so excited (that it didn't take that long to build, mostly) I wanted to post this now.

What's the best night for everyone? Let's get a consensus and make a plan for the weekend. Saturday & Sunday night are both fine by me. Even Monday, though I probably won't be drinking (well, not as much).

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-05-26, 17:26

Oh my.

Almost seems a shame to destroy him! Maybe to kick off the event, we should spawn a few of his little brothers to say hello too.

My vote is for Saturday night.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-05-26, 17:32

Just realised he's made of birch, not white wool as I first assumed. Cool.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-05-26, 18:47

I'm looking forward to seeing this too! Most days after 7pm are good for me. Saturday will work for me. I'm even gonna get Mrs T on here for it!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2011-05-26, 21:16

Um. Be careful when using netherrack. That is all.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-05-26, 21:53

Oh noes... is it all gone???
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-05-26, 22:33

???

We create world backups at 0600 and 1800 each day. If we need to restore that chunk, just ask.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-05-27, 14:03

Counted out a spot to see if Heat Man would fit while engulfed in flame. He theoretically should, but I didn't want to start anything before confirming whether the spot I picked was okay. It is counted out with dirt near the traditional spot.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-05-27, 14:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
???

We create world backups at 0600 and 1800 each day. If we need to restore that chunk, just ask.
Just so everyone is aware, this is exactly what I did last night. I all went pretty smoothly, save for bobsky temporarily losing ~27000 cobble blocks.
¡Damned!

2011-05-27, 17:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
Counted out a spot to see if Heat Man would fit while engulfed in flame. He theoretically should, but I didn't want to start anything before confirming whether the spot I picked was okay. It is counted out with dirt near the traditional spot.
That's waaaaay too close... only 12 blocks away! When I said "not too close, please" I was thinking 50 or 60 blocks, not crammed right up against the ghast so the flames "maybe" wouldn't ignite it. It would look like butt there too.

Personally I think the perfect spot would be on the beach right on the other side of the lava bridge. It's long enough, and close enough where we'd all have to just move over a few steps for another Sexy Burnination Time. I'll even build the base for it (and help with the building of Heat Man too if you'd want it).

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2011-05-27, 17:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Just so everyone is aware, this is exactly what I did last night. I all went pretty smoothly, save for bobsky temporarily losing ~27000 cobble blocks.
Brad is the man. Saved my ass from having to rebuild it, plus filled the interior with magic solid wood blocks! It will be glorious.

(though he did zap me with lightning for making such a dumb mistake as putting netherrack below it for "effect")

So it goes.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-05-28, 02:06

Actually, since it seems I may miss the event, I'll utilize the same space for a second burning after this one
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-05-28, 02:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
Actually, since it seems I may miss the event, I'll utilize the same space for a second burning after this one
Better do it quickly. Sunday night: Flaming Rowdy? The reason for doing the Burning Man this weekend is because 1.6 will make it less possible.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-05-28, 02:31

I know. I didn't know how quickly we'd be updating, what with all the fixes coming to 1.6 already. Sunday will work. I should have the materials to make Heat Man, and the design is simple enough to go quickly.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
¡Damned!

2011-05-28, 19:16

So, what time is best for everyone? I'd like to do it when it's dark out IRL (EST) so I can turn off all the lights. Anytime from 10:00-midnight is fine. I'll be on much later than that most likely, but midnight will probably be the latest others will want to meet up.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-05-28, 19:31

I'll try signing on around 11 PM EDT. Around midnight sounds like as good a time as any.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-05-28, 19:34

Between 11 and midnight work for me.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-05-28, 23:33

Great success!
SD, HD

After this we had a few real Ghasts show up on the scene. This was fun! You should have been there.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-05-28, 23:44

I ding expact the ghatws atr ALL"@!!

trugle! fallning!!

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-05-28, 23:44

So does that lightening happen a lot like that now? (Haven't been on in ages.)
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-05-28, 23:50

Ihav 2t colcks!!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-05-28, 23:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
trugle! fallning!!
Spoiler (click to toggle):
Turtle?

Or Tingle?

I suppose either name works.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-05-28, 23:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Ihav 2t colcks!!
I don't even want to know what you were trying to say.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-05-29, 00:00

Also, it bears repeating: thanks for setting up this even, 709! It was a ton of fun.
¡Damned!

2011-05-29, 00:21

So much fun.

The TNT acted as I'd hoped, mostly. I wanted it to sound & act like fireworks with an in and out, and it did better than I expected. Super happy and still a little jazzed.

Thanks again to all that came!

So it goes.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-05-29, 02:44

...Wtf? Thanks for not replacing torches, guys.
SpecMode
Wait what

2011-05-29, 04:39

In our defense, I think we were more worried about replacing the beach; between TNT and ghast bombs, there were a lot of holes to fill in afterward.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-05-29, 06:42

I put down a few torches in the pit, but not many. I didn't know that Brad was going to summon ghasts when he was handing out arrows and was suitably terrified when they appeared. We kept hearing one after they'd all been killed.

Wait.

Ghast bombs? I didn't realize they were dropping bombs!!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-05-29, 08:24

Okay, I appear to have mined 3 iron blocks from the pit created by Burning Ghast 2011.... to who do they belong? I'd had 4 glasses of wine last night when I showed up to the festival. I also remember going around digging a block out from under people.... starting with Robo, who I killed with my shovel. Apologies, again

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-05-29, 09:30

No it is okay! I was sort of on drugs too.

I remember the lava pit, and the explosions, and dying, and then the ghasts, and then my connection dropped really truly I swear!! And then I asked Brad how old he was and felt REALLY REALLY BAD. And Grey said he looked like a more attractive Anderson Cooper?

Anyway, it was awesome and I didn't want to miss it. Ghasts!

Oh and SpecMode killed a dog so you should all not like him!!!! Just kidding no but for reals