User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Apple will keep songs $.99 on iTunes (I'm making this up)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple will keep songs $.99 on iTunes (I'm making this up)
lectro

2006-01-09, 20:58

Since iPhoto has the 'print to album' feature and iWeb will help with getting things to the web, Garageband (and Apple's pro music apps) will allow users to submit music to iTunes, for others to download.

After a few years, musicians (who hate the recording industry as much as the next guy) will soon find it's much more lucrative to skip the whole record company and sell their wares directly on iTunes. (Surely Apple will help the more popular ones with promotion - it's in their best interest to sell these songs, too.) A few years later, the record industry crumbles - including Sony, one of Apples biggest competitors not just in the music business but also in consumer gadgets and PCs.

Many people (especially the RIAA) act like the recording industry is one of the pillars of civilization. It's only been around for less than a hundred years - and only because someone invented the phonograph. Maybe the iPod and iTunes are to the record industry what Fords were to the stagecoach manufacturers.
¡Damned!

2006-01-09, 21:03

Oy Vey.
noah

2006-01-09, 21:29

wow......just wow.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-01-09, 21:54

Well, me and my band are SO there! Our music is ready for the people...and we think the people are ready for us.

Rock on!
ZachPruckowski

2006-01-09, 22:02

Personally, I hope you're right on both counts. The music industry is failing to adapt to the fact that people don't seem fazed by pirating. The idea of raising iTunes prices is among the stupidest things I've heard. I mean, they can't really expect it to decrease piracy, and they can't expect it to bring in all that much more money. Actually, if they lower prices on anything (which I doubt), it'll be the songs no one has, and thus would be harder to pirate, and the higher prices would impact the stuff most easily pirated.

On the idea of the RIAA being made obselete: In a free world, you're 100% right. All that the RIAA will be able to provide is advertising in a few years, since anyone can mix and edit their own songs with a few good microphones and GarageBand. however, they and the MPAA are trying to get a bill passed that would disallow anything that converts analog-to-digital that doesn't meet their rules for content protection. And I have a feeling that they'll make anything more high-quality than Apple's built-in microphone have to go through a very expensive process, thus raising it's price to something hideous and unreasonable, and making it affordable only to the RIAA.
jouster

2006-01-09, 22:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah
wow......just wow.
Well....it does say "I'm making this up" in the subject line!
Ryan
Veteran Member

2006-01-10, 00:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Well, me and my band are SO there! Our music is ready for the people...and we think the people are ready for us.

Rock on!
So, uh, which one's you?

ironlung

2006-01-10, 01:42

damn the RIAA.. save the empire!
seashellz2

2006-01-10, 02:04

I remember the lawsuit settlement a few years ago over fixed pricing-the Big 5(Now the big 3)record companies were supposed to lower prices.

Never happened.

This NYAG Lawsuit should take some pressure off APPLE to raise song prices-with the big 3 being subpoaned, now is not a good time to raise prices....heh heh
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2006-01-10, 03:17

This would be absolutely excellent. Apple is in an excellent position to streamline the media production process all the way from creation to end sales.

They already have all the means in place to produce music, and all the means in place to sell music. The only missing piece is what you mentioned here—making it easy to publish your end product to their content delivery system (iTMS). There would, of course, be some sort of licensing restrictions involved, but wow... this would be a genius move by Apple.

I hope you're spot-on. That would be amazing.

Apparently I call the cops when I see people litter.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-01-10, 08:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashellz2
I remember the lawsuit settlement a few years ago over fixed pricing-the Big 5(Now the big 3)record companies were supposed to lower prices.

Never happened.

This NYAG Lawsuit should take some pressure off APPLE to raise song prices-with the big 3 being subpoaned, now is not a good time to raise prices....heh heh
Actually, it's the "big 4" now.