Found a great deal, share it here!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Found a great deal, share it here!
Page 1 of 17 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-10-02, 13:31

Without turing this into just a bunch of shameless self-promotional ads, I thought it'd be nice to have a place to share great deals we find with some of our fellow members. My dad emailed me a deal for some RAM from Fry's and I thought it was well worth sharing. So if you find an awesome deal, share it with the rest of us.

Quote:
Frys.com is offering the Crucial 2GB (2x1GB) PC-3200 DDR Desktop Memory Kit (model# CT2CP12864Z40B) for a low $19.99 shipped following a $30 mail-in rebate. Great for upgrading older, yet still viable systems.
Free Shipping made this a great deal for my server who could use the RAM upgrade. I ordered two with hopes that the rebate will apply to both sets since the wording is "Limit one rebate per product per address."

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-10-02, 13:58

Very cool. I'll keep an eye on this thread, especially with Black Friday coming up. I'm trying to talk the wife into a new laptop, and BF prices might be enough to put her over the edge.

Of course, I really just want to buy it so she can use it and free up the desktop that I built for myself.

So, like, if anybody finds a decent non-netbook laptop for under about $500, let me know. Obviously, I'm not expecting a Mac.
¡Damned!

2009-03-18, 14:21

Free samplers on Amazon from Sub Pop, Jagjaguwar and Secretly Canadian. Three of my favorite labels!
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-03-18, 14:54

Probably not interesting to many people here, but if anyone's looking to build a PC, AMD has a deal going on now where you get big discounts when you buy a processor with a motherboard.

March AMDness

I got $45 off a Phenom II X3 720 purchased in combination with a Biostar TA790GX motherboard.
zippy
Veteran Member

2009-03-18, 15:16

Thanks Luca. I've got an old Windows box that I really don't use much since we purchased our iMac. But I've been kicking around the idea of doing a rebuild on it so I'll check these deals out. I'd rather just get a mini, but picking up a motherboard, processor, RAM and video card should be cheaper.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
¡Damned!

2009-03-18, 15:16

Kudos to Newegg or/and AMD on the "March AMDness" event title. It's the little, smart things like that that put a smile on my face and end up making my day.

So it goes.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-03-18, 15:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
Thanks Luca. I've got an old Windows box that I really don't use much since we purchased our iMac. But I've been kicking around the idea of doing a rebuild on it so I'll check these deals out. I'd rather just get a mini, but picking up a motherboard, processor, RAM and video card should be cheaper.
One thing to keep in mind... while AMD has some nice stuff out at the moment, the deals there are not the cheapest ones you can get. If you want a low-cost rebuild, the #1 choice is still the Intel E5200. It's about $73 for the processor, which overclocks like crazy and beats every Athlon X2 even at stock speed. Get a budget motherboard for ~$80 and you're looking at a significant savings compared to the AMD ones. But the performance isn't as good as the Phenom IIs.

A lot of newer motherboards (like the Biostar I picked up) also have really good integrated video. Mine has 128 MB of dedicated VRAM built into the motherboard so it doesn't take from my system RAM, and it has HDMI output and is even capable of dual monitors. Some AMD motherboards will even let you add certain low-end video cards to be used in conjunction with the integrated video and improve the performance (though if you're gaming I'd still go for a solid midrange card).
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2009-03-18, 23:46

The site Audioholics is having some good deals on nice APC surge protectors and conditioners. APC is a well-respected name in the field of power devices, and there are some good deals on their stuff.
http://www.audioholics.com/news/indu...-blowout-sale/

I bought this guy, which was in more my budget than the larger rack-mountable models.

While these are well-suited for home theater applications, I'm sure they would work fine in office situations too.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2009-03-18, 23:59

I just got swamped looking for cheap gadgets at dealextreme.com. Lots of interesting little things. sooo want one of those super lasers but my hands are certainly the wrong ones.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-03-19, 00:35

I ordered three bluetooth dongles from them for $8.10 total. The only real issue with them is the long shipping time from Hong Kong. The BT dongles work fine though.

The chip is only 22mm long.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2009-04-09, 18:42

(via DF) Cocktails+ for free until midnight Sunday.

Really nice iPhone/Touch app. I'm having a lot of fun right now looking at recipes I've never even heard of.

So it goes.
Eugene
careful with axes

2009-04-10, 08:21

Microcenter is selling Q8200s for $99. They also have extremely low prices on most other CPUs, better than NewEgg. In-store only.

Fry's is clearing out Antec TruePower Trio 430W PSUs for $30.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2009-04-13, 16:37

My girlfriend just bought a refurbed unibody 2.4GHz Macbook, with the default 2GB RAM and 250GB HDD, along with a 24" Cinema Display. The refurb cost was $1299, but the bargain part is that after she got it set up she discovered that it had 4GB RAM and the 320GB HDD.

She reckons she saved about $500 off the cost of a new one with those options. Whatabargain!
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-04-13, 16:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
My girlfriend just bought a refurbed unibody 2.4GHz Macbook, with the default 2GB RAM and 250GB HDD, along with a 24" Cinema Display. The refurb cost was $1299, but the bargain part is that after she got it set up she discovered that it had 4GB RAM and the 320GB HDD.

She reckons she saved about $500 off the cost of a new one with those options. Whatabargain!
Not surprising given how much Apple makes you pay for upgrades, but a good deal nonetheless. Does it have the backlit keyboard?
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2009-04-13, 18:12

For anyone in Toronto, www.henrys.com has airports on sale for $69.99 and the old 23" Cinema Displays on sale for $599.99. Here's the direct link to the deals (might be in store only).

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-04-14, 00:18

That's actually a pretty bad deal except that stuff might be more expensive in Canada. For instance, the exchange rate right now works out to $600 Canadian = $492 US. Still, you can get a brand new 24" IPS monitor with multiple inputs and a 3-year warranty for around $600 US, and I'd say that's worth it over a used, single-input, no-warranty 23".
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2009-04-14, 00:30

Considering that the display sold for over $1000 new from Apple here in Canada, that is a good deal.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2009-04-14, 02:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
Not surprising given how much Apple makes you pay for upgrades, but a good deal nonetheless. Does it have the backlit keyboard?
Yeah it does. She's really happy with it.
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2009-04-14, 02:24

Yeah, welcome to shopping in Canada. Us hosers get totally hosed .
Frank777
Veteran Member

2009-04-14, 02:29

Quote:
Still, you can get a brand new 24" IPS monitor with multiple inputs and a 3-year warranty for around $600 US, and I'd say that's worth it over a used, single-input, no-warranty 23".
The biggest problem is finding out which monitors are IPS when you walk into a store.
Eugene
careful with axes

2009-04-14, 02:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
The biggest problem is finding out which monitors are IPS when you walk into a store.
Who walks into a store to buy a monitor? 'Affordable' 24" IPS models include the HP LP2475w and Apple Cinema Display.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2009-04-14, 07:21

Amazon is having their buy two get one free blu-ray deal again.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-04-17, 16:15

For anyone looking for cheap, gaming-capable graphics for a PC, there's a PNY GeForce 9600GSO available for $50 (free shipping) after a mail-in rebate. Not a top-tier card, but a great deal for the price.

http://shop1.frys.com/product/583794...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
tomoe
Veteran Member

2009-04-17, 16:38

Amazon has a good deal right now where you buy a Samsung Blu-ray player, a qualifying Samsung LCD TV, and you get a $200 instant rebate. Link. I'm tempted to spring on it for the 40" and then sell the Blu-ray player via Craigslist to get essentially an additional $200 off, but alas, I think 40" might be too much tv for our living room.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-04-17, 16:46

Speaking of Samsung HDTVs, I just pulled up this thread to post a deal on a 25.5" Samsung 1080p TV.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Touch-...0001454&sr=8-1

It's $450 with free shipping, but it has a $100 mail-in rebate. Normally I don't like MIRs but if they are big enough it's worth it to fill them out. In this case it is because you can get a very high quality compact HDTV that will work just as well as a computer monitor for $350. And it's a Samsung, not some off-brand.

tomoe, are you sure 40" would be too big? I have a 32" in my small living room (one bedroom apartment) and it wasn't big enough to be comfortable until I moved my couch much closer to my TV. Unless you have a very small room or simply don't have much space available for whatever reason, I'd think a 40" would be ideal or even a little on the small side for an average living room.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-04-18, 19:23

Argh! I like Samsung's quality but I honestly can not stand their "Touch of Color" line. Why someone would want to take a high quality panel and then put it on a non-neutral surround is just beyond me. I know the little red "touch" isn't much but it doesn't take much to make the picture appear warmer. (In fact, the fact that it's not fully surrounding the bezel and only on the bottom is actually probably worse, because then it would "warm" perception unevenly, no?) Sony's done the same thing (with colored bezels), and it's always maddening; the thing is, Sony only does that on their lowest-end TVs, knowing that videophiles would object. But Samsung does it across the board, and even charges you extra for the privilege of having a TV with a non-neutral bezel. Ack.

Both of those deals are for the Touch of Color line. They're still not bad deals (especially Luca's) but I don't understand why adding something that harms accurate perception should be a "selling point." It's style over substance, and not at all what I expected from Samsung. Their previous "High Design" sets are just as stylish, and neutral, anyway.

All other TVs/monitors are white/black/grey for a reason.

/pet peeve

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-04-29, 23:41

Dell S2209W 22" for $139.

That's a pretty good deal even if it's TN.
  • Full HD 1920 x 1080 (optimal) resolution
  • 16:9 aspect ratio on a 22-inch widescreen (21.5-inch viewable)
  • Lightning-fast 5 ms response time (typical)

Oh, and free shipping right now too!

Last edited by turtle : 2009-04-30 at 00:01.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-04-30, 09:46

Well, looks like it's up to $159 now. I did manage to get one at $145 shipped though!
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Order Detail
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Item Description:
----------------------------------------------------
Dell S2209W 22 inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor - S2209W 22 inch Wide Flat Panel Monitor
Unit Price: $199.00
Quantity: 1
Total Price: $199.00

-- Dell Monitors --
-- S2209W 22 inch Wide Flat Panel Monitor
-- [320-7438]
-----------------------

-- Dell Home Customers: Save $60 off this item!
- $60.00

-- Dell Home Customers: Save $60 off this item!
- $60.00

-- 3Yr Ltd. Warranty, 3 yr Advanced Exchange
Unit Price: $0.00
Quantity: 1
Total Price: $0.00

Subtotal: $139.00
IVA: $6.95
Shipping and Handling: $19.00

Import Fee: --

Shipping Discount: -$19.00

Total: $145.95
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-04-30, 10:30

Crackdown for $10 shipped.

NewEgg actually has some pretty good deals on video games. Also,

DoubleSight 26" H-IPS monitor for $399 ($369 after mail-in rebate).

Probably the cheapest price possible for an IPS monitor that large. It's worth a look, just make sure you read the reviews first. Apparently it lacks a backlight control. But still, it's some $200 less than most 1920x1200 IPS monitors, so it's worth considering.

EDIT: [H]ard|OCP has a long thread discussing the monitor: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread....319356&page=23

There is a fair bit of criticism for it, largely stemming from the non-adjustable backlight (some people are unhappy with how bright it is), thick bezel, and lack of 1:1 pixel mapping. So it seems you get what you pay for... still, it's $370.

Last edited by Luca : 2009-04-30 at 10:41.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-04-30, 10:40

Quote:

DoubleSight 26" H-IPS monitor for $399 ($369 after mail-in rebate).

Probably the cheapest price possible for an IPS monitor that large. It's worth a look, just make sure you read the reviews first. Apparently it lacks a backlight control. But still, it's some $200 less than most 1920x1200 IPS monitors, so it's worth considering.
Wow, some of those reviews on that thing are pretty bad. Maybe that's why it's priced the way it is?