Found a great deal, share it here!
Page 12 of 17 First Previous 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16  Next Last Thread Tools
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2010-11-27, 17:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Holy shit. I might need to get down there today and pick up a couple. Was that an advertised special?
The Elements 2TB drives were in the circular. There's a way to tell from the box if they are the Black drives or the less expensive Green drives. You want a drive made in Malaysia for sure. I'm not sure if the serial number needs to contain WMAY or NETG. That's an open question. Check stock here. That link may or may not be 100% accurate, but it's the best we've got.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-11-27, 17:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
The Elements 2TB drives were in the circular. There's a way to tell from the box if they are the Black drives or the less expensive Green drives. You want a drive made in Malaysia for sure. I'm not sure if the serial number needs to contain WMAY or NETG. That's an open question. Check stock here. That link may or may not be 100% accurate, but it's the best we've got.
I'm on the way now. So I'm looking for a Malaysian drive with WMAY or NETG in the serial?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-11-27, 17:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
I'm on the way now. So I'm looking for a Malaysian drive with WMAY or NETG in the serial?
WMAY in the serial and/or NETG in the model number. I misspoke about the NETG in the serial. I'm uploading a pic of my box now.

edit: Jeez. What is it with Dropbox and rotating my images? I'm going to upload it to smugmug and edit again.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-11-27, 17:26

Got three. Thanks for the heads up Tori. Been looking for drives to raid.

Did you open yours up yet?

I should mention there was a whole "end cap" of them away from where all of the other drives were - in case anyone was looking. Only some were "Made in Malaysia."
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-11-27, 17:49

Quote:
Got three. Thanks for the heads up Tori. Been looking for drives to raid.

Did you open yours up yet?

I should mention there was a whole "end cap" of them away from where all of the other drives were - in case anyone was looking. Only some were "Made in Malaysia."
Not yet. Debating how I want to use them. I need some time machine drives and I have lots of internal storage already.

Did you verify that they are the Black models? The only way i could do it is using a windows app called SIW.exe to read the model number. I have no idea how to do it under OS X.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-11-27, 18:13

No, I haven't tried. Haven't even gotten them out of the box...

I'll prolly end up using them either way, even the 2TB Caviar Green drive retails for circa $100. I'll consider running SIW.exe thru my dad's laptop before I crack them open tho. Unless there's an easier way to verify their identities thru OS X, that someone can chime in with.

I can't give you any rep @ the moment, but I would if I could!

User formally known as Sh0eWax
¡Damned!

2010-11-27, 19:17

Grabbed the last one in stock plus a rain-check for one more. I planned on cracking the case right away, but it looks pretty well put together with no apparent screws. Maybe under the rubber feet?

Good deal either way.

So it goes.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-11-27, 22:20

Cracked one open, it's a Caviar Black - to be sure.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-11-27, 22:21

Dang. I really wish I'd seen this earlier since I'm hankering for some 2TB drives. Target.com says all of the local stores are out of stock, but I wonder if it would be worth trying tomorrow anyway... the Apex location says it has stock, and that looks like only about a ~30 minutes drive.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-11-27, 22:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Dang. I really wish I'd seen this earlier since I'm hankering for some 2TB drives. Target.com says all of the local stores are out of stock, but I wonder if it would be worth trying tomorrow anyway... the Apex location says it has stock, and that looks like only about a ~30 minutes drive.
Sale ended today. I went by my Target one last time just to see if they had anymore. Nope.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-11-27, 22:26

Well, poop.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-11-27, 22:49

I got the last one in my area (according to the store worker) and didn't think to get a raincheck. I wanted two but will be fine with one. Drove to two different stores too. Thanks for sharing the deal!

Also, I cant open mine up until Christmas! At least I know what it is.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2010-11-27, 23:54

Quote:
Cracked one open, it's a Caviar Black - to be sure.
Was it pretty easy to get open? I may swap the Black into one of my other enclosures with eSATA if it is.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-11-28, 04:02

It wasn't too difficult. I was gentle because I didn't want to bust up the enclosure too much, but basically I pried out the bottom all around the sides bit by bit. Then I undid the 4 screws (which was pretty much unnecessary, I think) and the drive (+SATA/USB assembly) slipped right out. I'm going to put it in my RAID tomorrow and swap in an older 1 TB drive into the Element enclosure, we'll see if it successfully takes foreign drives.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
drewprops
Space Pirate

2010-11-28, 09:13

Waaaah!! Why didn't I see this sooner??!!

will keep loading this thread religiously every 30 minutes until the new year....

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-11-28, 10:12

I wish I had cleared out their stock when I got there yesterday. I would have gladly shipped them to other ANers at cost. Next time I come across a deal like this, I'll seriously think about doing just that.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-11-28, 22:09

I guess I'll be a curated RSS feed for slickdeals over here. Kensington iPhone/iPod touch Window Mount. $5 after rebate. I've been looking for one for a while but I could never bring myself to drop the $20-30 on one. This one seems to work with cases. I figure for $5 and a GPS app, I've got a nice little GPS unit.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-11-28, 22:39

While I'm at it, Steam has The Orange Box for $7.50. This includes Half Life 2, Half Life 2, Episodes 1 & 2, Portal and Team Fortress 2. Many of us have one or more of those titles but any one of them is worth the $7.50 alone. Me? I'm downloading TF2 and planning on getting my ass kicked in a fun shooter that costs 1/5 the price of a Call of Duty game.

PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2010-11-28, 22:44

Any good deals on Windows 7? I'd like to set it up with Boot Camp on my Mac but don't want to pay a lot. Amazon apparently had it for $53 Friday but I missed it.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-11-28, 23:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium View Post
Any good deals on Windows 7? I'd like to set it up with Boot Camp on my Mac but don't want to pay a lot. Amazon apparently had it for $53 Friday but I missed it.
win******** is still running discounted upgrades. If you're a "student".

edit: Why is win seven four one dot com on the blacklist? It's a microsoft site. It goes here. I suppose I could have put that site in the post initially, but it's so much easier to remember the other URL.

evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2010-11-28, 23:16

do they have discounted full versions?
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2010-11-28, 23:28

Upgrades or student stuff won't do me any good unfortunately, need a full version. My only previous copy of Windows is an old upgrade version of XP.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-11-28, 23:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan View Post
do they have discounted full versions?
Don't know. I'm looking around now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium View Post
Upgrades or student stuff won't do me any good unfortunately, need a full version. My only previous copy of Windows is an old upgrade version of XP.
I'll see if I can find a full version. I've been looking for one myself.
SpecMode
Wait what

2010-11-29, 01:02

On the subject of Microsoft, another really nice deal they've got for students is a program called DreamSpark. In a nutshell, they're giving students pro-level software (Windows Server, Visual Studio Professional, SQL Server, etc.) at no charge. Definitely geared towards Computer Science/Engineering majors, but any student even remotely interested in developing for Windows, Xbox, or Windows Phone can find something useful.

Say what you will about Microsoft being a bit out of touch with the market as of late, but their educational initiatives are pretty hard to beat.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-11-29, 11:21

There is the DreamSpark option and then you can use 2008 server and modify it to run more like Win7. I'll see if I can find that link someone sent me that steps you through the changes.

Edit: Found it. Enjoy! http://www.zdnet.com/photos/converti...station/444308

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Last edited by turtle : 2010-11-29 at 12:01.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-11-29, 20:40

I'm having some problem with the Elements enclosure, see my Genius Bar thread.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-11-30, 11:26

@bwyatt tweeted this already, but I thought this was worth sharing here: anybody making a purchase at a Borders store this Saturday or Sunday gets a $15 card to support a public school of their choice through DonorsChoose. There's no minimum, so whether you buy a book or a bookmark or a ballpoint pen, you still get the card. If you buy the book Waiting for Superman you get a second $15 card, too.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-11-30, 12:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
@bwyatt tweeted this already, but I thought this was worth sharing here: anybody making a purchase at a Borders store this Saturday or Sunday gets a $15 card to support a public school of their choice through DonorsChoose. There's no minimum, so whether you buy a book or a bookmark or a ballpoint pen, you still get the card. If you buy the book Waiting for Superman you get a second $15 card, too.
Wait… seriously? So, I can walk in, buy a $1 bookmark, and they make a $15 donation to the public school of my choice?

Off-topic (click to toggle):
I'm secretly glad it's qualified to public schools only.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-11-30, 12:19

Quote:
Wait… seriously? So, I can walk in, buy a $1 bookmark, and they make a $15 donation to the public school of my choice?

HuffPo says you could buy a bagel if you want. As I understand it, they give you a DonorsChoose gift card, and then you go online to pick your school. I think they're betting on most shoppers not bothering.

Good luck finding a $1 bookmark at Borders, though.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2010-11-30, 13:04

Quote:

Yes, seriously. I never shop there (B&N is more convenient if I want a retail book store), but my wife and I are going this weekend. We'll get coffee and maybe a book, just to get two purchases in.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317