User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

past week w/ my MBP

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
past week w/ my MBP
tacvbo83

2007-11-09, 18:09

Last wednesday morning my MBP stopped working after leaving it on for a night. (screen started going on and off, booting images distorted, etc etc) After talking to people in AppleCare I barely understood, I started using the operator option and got things done faster. Acording to a paper that came back with my MBP, I believe the video card was changed. Has this happened to anyone else here?

I have been reading that this has been happening in the new iMacs. Applecare was great with only 3 days of send and return but I still lost all my files due to them thinking it was software related and made me restore it all after an archive and install did not work. As I am typing right now it frustrates me how hot this thing is and thinking of calling Apple for a spanker! I used to use iCurve a lot before but I have stopped for the past month or so and then this happens since it does get way hotter sitting ontop of a desk. I should be able to do this normally thou.

MBP 1.83 GHz, 2GB RAM

Last edited by tacvbo83 : 2007-11-10 at 11:54.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2007-11-09, 19:12

Quote:
After talking to people in AppleCare I bearly understood,
Irony, anyone?
tacvbo83

2007-11-09, 19:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Irony, anyone?
Jackass! I thought these type of responses did not exist in this forum anymore.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2007-11-09, 19:47

Toughen up, dude. If you can't take a joke, you picked the wrong damn forum...

Apple "Notebooks" (note that they don't call them "Laptops") do get pretty hot. That's probably due to how thin they are. It's pretty normal. Aside from that, I don't really understand the question. The video card crapped out, they fitted a new one. That sort of stuff just happens.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-11-09, 19:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Apple "Notebooks" (note that they don't call them "Laptops")
Now you're really getting silly. There's nothing wrong with or uncommon about calling MacBooks and MacBook Pros "laptops".

Quote:
Aside from that, I don't really understand the question. The video card crapped out, they fitted a new one. That sort of stuff just happens.
Agreed. There's really nothing to add to the thread. Bad luck, and a lesson hopefully learnt (backup, backup, backup).
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2007-11-09, 20:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Now you're really getting silly. There's nothing wrong with or uncommon about calling MacBooks and MacBook Pros "laptops".
That's not what I said. I said, note how they (ie: Apple) don't call them laptops. And they don't.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2007-11-09, 20:06

Quote:
It may indeed be "silly", but it is in fact true.

Try to find the word "laptop" here
http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/
or on any of its sub-pages.

For bonus points - search the Apple Support site for "notebook" and then for "laptop", and compare the results.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-11-09, 20:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL View Post
It may indeed be "silly", but it is in fact true.

Try to find the word "laptop" here
http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/
or on any of its sub-pages.

For bonus points - search the Apple Support site for "notebook" and then for "laptop", and compare the results.
Sure, but type "laptop" into apple.com's search field, and both of their lines show up as top results. If they do avoid the word "laptop", it's probably rather because of asinine class-action lawsuits, rather than because they feel there's something wrong with the word. Sure, the bottoms of MacBooks and MacBook Pros indeed aren't designed heat-wise to work well on a lap, but neither are those of just about any other portable computer on the market, unless you specifically go out of your way to look for low-heat output components, such as perhaps in subnotebooks.

To me, laptop and notebook are synonymical, except (obviously) for non-computer contexts. Everything else is pedantry.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2007-11-09, 20:44

Quote:
If they do avoid the word "laptop", it's probably rather because of asinine class-action lawsuits, rather than because they feel there's something wrong with the word.
Now you've got it.
tacvbo83

2007-11-10, 04:54

Good thing I did not call it portable computer. That would of been 3 pages of stupidity easily.
chucker

2007-11-10, 05:07

You still haven't stated what you did expect from this thread.
Miko
Veteran Member

2007-11-10, 07:39

Apple did away with calling them laptops a few generations ago due exactly to the fact that they get so uncomfortably hot to be placed on a lap. Remember the term Desktop replacement? or see the video of some guy frying an egg on a TiBook granted not well but still proves the point.

Last edited by Miko : 2007-11-10 at 13:39.
chucker

2007-11-10, 07:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko View Post
Remember the term Desktop replacement?
Yes. It belongs to where it came from. Ugh.