User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPad 3
Page 5 of 13 Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9  Next Last Thread Tools
Bonn89

2012-02-19, 21:59

Yeah... that's why I specifically didn't use "2" as an example.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2012-02-19, 22:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
I don't recall Apple calling any of their products '3' other than the iPhone 3GS and perhaps the Macintosh LCIII
Perhaps...

iPad HD (with a higher screen resolution)
iPad Pro (with a faster processor)
iPad LTE (with LTE capabilities)
I don't see why they wouldn't go with 3 at this point, unless it's a 2S, which I highly doubt. I still think they should have gone with Canvas as the name originally, but iPad works now.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-02-21, 11:57

I'm tempted to sell my iPad 2 Verizon 3G to upgrade to one of the newer ones. I have a 64GB but I would switch to the 16GB or whatever the lowest would be. With Spotify and iTunes Match, I don't really need all of that storage.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-02-21, 21:51

Interesting, I'm looking for the highest capacity for my photo and video collections. With the camera kit I won't need to bring my laptop for a bunch of my shoots. Plus when I sync up with the cloud I can let them hit photo stream too.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-02-21, 22:21

I'll let you know what I end up doing. It'll also come with a dodo case.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2012-02-21, 22:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
I'll let you know what I end up doing. It'll also come with a dodo case.
That's an interesting case. Have you had one of those cases before? Crazy, the guy on House Hunters has his iPad in a Dodo case right now.

I think I'm going for the mid-range 32GB when the announcement comes. 16GB is only 13GB on my phone and I'll be running more games/apps on the iPad than the phone. Just want to make sure I have the room I need.

Website | Twitter
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-02-21, 22:32

I love the dodo case. If I upgrade, I'll definitely get another one. Has a great feel to it and gives a little needed bulk to the iPad as weird as that sounds.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-02-27, 12:56

Interesting new tidbits about the iPad 3 on MacRumors today...

First up, iOS 5.1 beta reveals evidence of simultaneous development on A5x and A6 chips.

I wonder if the A5x would go into a $399 iPad 2, where they purposely keep last year's model around at a lower price? I realize they don't beef up the specs on the iPhone when they do this (they just sell it as is), but maybe, with the iPad becoming such a monster and people doing more with it, they feel the need to give even a lower-priced "entry level" model a modest yearly bump?

The other story centers around an unveriied price hike on the new iPad 3 models over their iPad 2 counterparts.

Specifically, the 16GB + Wifi models going for $579 instead of the usual $499.

Personally, I don't buy it. I think Apple will want to keep one current-generation iPad at the $499 mark.

There's no telling how much one should put into these documents and shipping charts, but it's interesting to think about.

In any case, they're coming soon...
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-02-27, 13:13

But the rumors could sort of go together, no? They could have an iPad-2-style product with an A5X at $499, and an "iPad-3-style" product with an A6 at $579+?

That would explain the weird A5X/A6 thing (and why we've heard big-name sources pointing to both dual-core and quad-core processors). You're right, they don't beef up specs of old iPhones when they keep them around (they actually halve the gigabytes), so I don't think it's for a $399 iPad 2.

An iPad-sized retina display — and the processing guts to drive it — can't be cheap. Maybe they can only put it in pricier models, and so they're refreshing the iPad 2 with a faster "A5X" processor for that all-important $499 price point? They've done similar "line splitting" things in the past, like with the 2009 iPod touch — only the higher-end models got the faster "3G S" guts (and the remote + mic).

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2012-02-27, 13:19

9to5 first ran this story over the weekend and I think their two suggestions make the most sense:

1) Apple was testing two types of chips to figure out which would work better in the iPad 3 wrt to the retina display.

2) The A5X is slated for the next version Apple TV.

It ties in to their earlier report about TWO potential new product launches in March.

Website | Twitter
hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2012-02-27, 13:19

A5X Dual Core for iPod Touch and Apple TV application.

A6 Quad Core for iPad. I'd be happy to see Quad Core PowerVR GPU as well. That would be a stellar upgrade. Throw in 1GB of RAM and it'd be worth a $80 price hike if that's true.

omgwtfbbq
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-02-27, 13:40

All interesting stuff.

I just hope they can consolidate (and I'm sure they can, as they've done it with the iPhone) all the 3G models into a single unit...there are already about 238 models to choose from in the current line up (colors, capacity, Wifi or Wifi+3G, carriers).

Splitting the line - keeping the iPad 2 at $499 with a slightly upgraded processor - could get messy and add a bunch more options.

Hopefully not.

I still think they'll sell an iPad 3 (and all that makes it a 3) for $499.

Beyond that, I'd rather see an "as-is" iPad 2 for $399 than a A5x-equipped one going for $499 (and pushing up the cost for a true iPad 3). I think that'll irk some, and start to feel a bit odd and off.

This would be too complicated and messy, wouldn't it:

1. iPad 2, as is, for $399
2. iPad 2s, with A5x, for $499
3. iPad 3, with quad-core A6/Retina Display/improved camera, for $579

Good grief.

Just sell one 32GB model for $599, with 3G already onboard (all carriers supported, no having to choose an AT&T, Verizon or Sprint-specific model, just like the iPhone 4s), in white or black, and call it a day.

hmurchison
Veteran Member

2012-02-27, 13:51

Wikipedia's entry on the A5 processor stated that it was 75% more expensive than the A4 processor.
It's a large chip and large chips yield less on wafers which locks their price in to a certain extent.

The easiest way to reduce the cost is

A Maximize the yield rate per Wafer
B. Move to a smaller process node so that you get more chips per wafer (assuming the yields are commensurate) a

We know that current ARM A9 chips are now being fabbed on a 28nm node. So everyone using the is reaping the rewards of a
more inexpensive processor. What about Apple?

I like the rumors of a $399 iPad 2. If the economies of scale have delivered the touch screen at rock bottom pricing and money can be shaved
off the A5 processor by going to a new process node then it's entirely feasible that a cheaper iPad 2 can be delivered at the same margins.

Next we turn our attention to the current A4 based products. Moving to the A5 gains them much more graphics speed. 1080p video support and
built in ISP (Image Signal Processing) for facial detection, white balance and image stabilization and more. It's a no brainer to move there quickly in
devices that can support it.

omgwtfbbq
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2012-02-28, 10:59

I can't imagine battery life not taking a massive hit with retina display, quad-core, and LTE in there. That's got to shave at least 1-2 hours off current specs, right? Unless they've improved the battery technology even further, which would be amazing.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-02-28, 11:20

That, and, if some of the leaked pics are true, the iPad 3 might be slightly thicker than the 2...to help hold a slightly larger battery (I guess every little bit helps/counts)? I don't know tech/engineering strides over the past year or so, but I assume other components could get smaller or more compact and refined too?

I assume work on the iPad 3 began well before the iPad 2's manufacturing and release last year...they have to be working a solid 18-24 month-ahead-of-the-curve, right? Somewhere at Apple HQ, plans and prototypes for the iPad 4 are surely lurking about, and probably have been for a while.

I just don't see Apple "going backwards". They like to go thinner, but keep (or improve) same battery life and experience.

If, however, they simply have to give up one for the other, I could see them ceding a millimeter or so if it meant better battery life/user experience.

I think people, in general, would squawk less about a slightly thicker iPad (which is still going to be thinner than most anything else out there, right?) than a 1-2 hour battery hit. Because, unlike a millimeter or two, that actually cut into usability and enjoyment. And we all know that's where Apple places a high priority and importance.

If, somehow, the iPad 3 is the same thickness and same battery life as the 2 - but magically includes all the rumored stuff - nobody, anywhere, will have a valid reason to gripe.

But they will anyway. It's always something...

It just seems like every year, with the iPad and iPhone, they somehow manage to get tighter, more refined, improved components/features/specs...and the battery life and performance never suffers or takes a hit. I think that's what they've got everyone "trained" for, and to expect.

It would be a bummer - and I can't imagine it happening - if they come out and give us this brand new iPad, with all the goodies that have been rumored - and then "go backwards" on the battery.

That seems to be their strongest, favorite bragging point...and every year they make a point of talking about how "even with all this new stuff, and a thinner design, we kept the amazing battery life the iWhatever is famous for...".

Can't see that changing. We have no idea what they're capable of, or have access to.

Granted, they don't have someone standing on their neck as in years past to "work the impossible!". But, then again, I have to wonder how much he was around throughout 2010 and 2011...and those first two releases seemed to work out just fine.

Going back to yesterday's talk about pricing...Apple being Apple (really the only true game in town on this stuff, and a proven player/winner in terms of "releasing stuff people actually want and spend money on"), perhaps some of those investments and purchases (as with flash memory in the past) were on things like these higher-res panels and other stuff? Maybe Apple, being in the position they are, is somehow able to get hold of these components, in quantities and prices, that other makers can't? And, therefore, there may not have to be increases or bumps for the newest ones.

Just something I was wondering/thinking about...
hmurchison
Veteran Member

2012-02-28, 11:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
I can't imagine battery life not taking a massive hit with retina display, quad-core, and LTE in there. That's got to shave at least 1-2 hours off current specs, right? Unless they've improved the battery technology even further, which would be amazing.
Depends I guess. The GPU and LTE chipset are both on a smaller 28nm process but it's likely that 1GB of RAM is going to be necessary. I think we see more battery covering the gap and the "famed" 10 hour battery life will remain.

omgwtfbbq
¡Damned!

2012-02-28, 11:22

My uneducated guess is that the $80 is for a Retina Display upgrade (and the faster/better guts that it entails). New iPad 3 with faster processor and improved camera for the same price as last year, iPad 3HD (or something like that) for a bit more.

So it goes.
SpecMode
Wait what

2012-02-28, 12:06

The event is 'official' now. March 7, 10am PST, at the Yerba Buena Center in San Francisco.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2012-02-28, 12:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode View Post
The event is 'official' now. March 7, 10am PST, at the Yerba Buena Center in San Francisco.
And that photo confirms the Retina Display.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-02-28, 12:21

Yay! I like officialness.

And the catchy little design, with the "where, when and what" illustrated with the three iOS icons (although the Maps one shows Infinite Loop/Apple HQ, you still get that the invitation itself is all about the "where, when and what"...Yerba Buena Center, Wednesday the 7th and it'll be a keynote/presentation.

Subtle, and cute.

Can't tell if it's showing the Retina Display, as I don't have enough hands-on time with an iPad to know just how current icons/text look up close. But the headline pretty much says it all anyway...

Gonna be big.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2012-02-28, 12:41

Paul, Chucker's right. That's no iPad 1/2 display. That's got to be the new one. The graphics displayed are far too sharp to be the current models.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-02-28, 12:48

Cool. A little reveal, one week out!
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2012-02-28, 13:10

Interesting. Has Apple ever shown potential images of a new product in any of their invitations before?

They really are "doing things a little bit differently now," aren't they?

Website | Twitter
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-02-28, 13:16

Well, everybody knows that the retina display is coming.

It's sort of like how they confirmed iCloud just before WWDC last year. There really wasn't much point in pretending to be secretive about it.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-02-28, 13:24

Where's the home button?
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2012-02-28, 13:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu View Post
Interesting. Has Apple ever shown potential images of a new product in any of their invitations before?

They really are "doing things a little bit differently now," aren't they?
My thoughts exactly. Steve would never have allowed this!
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2012-02-28, 15:01

As long as it's not a redesign of the design I really don't see the big deal in showing a little leg. After all, few people have even been speculating about new designs. It's a pad that acts as a window into the magic place where the really interesting stuff happens and the less the user actually has to think about the physical pad, the better the design is. And in that respect the current design is pretty damn close to optimal.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-02-28, 15:15

I don't think there's much they can do with the iPad, design-wise, other than the usual thickness or edge tweaks (as needed). But it's already a thin, flat and understated piece of metal, glass and plastic. Unlike 10 years ago, it's not about the swoops, curves, colors, translucency, pinstripes, etc. so it's tough to go from "sleek and understated" to something else (and have it work).

I can't imagine a huge reworking of the basic iPad design. It is indeed a 10" window on the world...and it's distilled down to about as straightforward and no-frills as it can be.

Off-topic (click to toggle):
If anything, I'm hoping the iPhone 5 looks like the iPad...go back to a rounded-edge, matte silver/aluminum back, with the black or white color choice, as with the iPod touch, limited to the front plate. The iPad would look good in iPhone size.
¡Damned!

2012-02-28, 17:10

I don't know what it is exactly, but I'm really really excited to get this. My last stint out of town had iPads laying around everywhere, and I was still kind've "meh", but this one really gets me in the gut. Maybe it's the resolution and that things will finally look crisp and clean.* I don't know, but I haven't been this excited about getting a new Mac since my graphite iMac waaaay back in the day.

* Same with the iPhone. 1-3 were nice looking, of course, but that I could see the chunky pixels like a 1970s arcade game made me "meh" as well. The iPhone 4 screen is beautiful, and feels like what I imagined the future would be like.

Maybe I just have really good eyesight.

[edit]: Is it weird to call the iPad a Mac? I just re-read my post and wondered that. It feels soooo close to a laptop (in fact I'm replacing mine with it) that it just came out that way.

So it goes.
Eugene
careful with axes

2012-02-28, 19:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
Why would the Retina display have a massive impact on battery life. The dimensions are the same...the backlight shouldn't need to be significantly brighter, if at all.