User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Tiger has over 150 features right. So what are some of the other cool features that i

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Tiger has over 150 features right. So what are some of the other cool features that i
doutee

Send a message via AIM to doutee Send a message via MSN to doutee  
2004-07-05, 19:30

This is my first post on this site and I was wondering what other features Tiger has besides the ones shown at WWDC. Anyone know or have speculations. I love Ichat and wished that they would build in an auto away function. I have used icar in the past but it crashes with the newest ichat release.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-07-05, 19:42

There will be a lot more new features that come out in the coming months. Tiger won't be here till middle of next year, so they have time to implement and refine more features. Keep checking the OS X section on apple.com for the latest news.

As far as iChat goes. Not having an auto reply is one of its best features. I love being able to talk to people while I'm "away" is awesome. Who needs auto reply anyway?

Come waste your time with me
hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2004-07-05, 21:27

If Automator works right I'm really going to like it. Scripting is powerful but just a pain to setup for the average person.
Wrao
Yarp

2004-07-06, 02:01

I wish AIM and iChat were little bit friendlier, in that, I wish that AIM clients supported available messages, and I wish iChat had auto response messages. Also, it'd be nice if iChat buddy icons were user resizeable, made upto 45x45 px, they are slightly bigger in AIM than iChat, but they are still pretty tiny.

Maybe apple should just release iChat on windows
Hobbes

Send a message via AIM to Hobbes  
2004-07-06, 14:27

What seems clear -- with the exception perhaps of the latest version of iChat -- is that Apple announced at WWDC major new features that require a SDK -- Spotlight, Dashboard, Automator, and so forth.

I'm not fooling myself into thinking that there's going to be any major new features in Tiger (other than those announced), but I'd be surprised if there aren't dozens and dozens small features being worked on, that have yet to be seen in the WWDC developer build. If Panther is any guide, it's the many small changes (along with the sexy new features) that really make a difference.
Hobbes

Send a message via AIM to Hobbes  
2004-07-06, 14:38

Incidentally, for a brutally comprehensive collection of new Tiger features spotted in the WWDC developer build:

http://www.cuk.ch/articles/tests/afftest.php3?aff=317

Google trans. into English:
http://translate.google.com/translat...language_tools
hmurchison
Veteran Member

2004-07-06, 15:22

Yes there's still so much left to uncover. This PR is just the early rough draft. By the time Tiger ships I hope to see in no particular order.

Quicktime 7 with full documentation of new features.
OpenGL 2.0 support(Hoping Siggraph 2004 is the coming out party)
Dock- New features.
Appleworks 7- Please Apple do something here!
Keynote 2-my gawd Keynote is SCREAMIN for Core Image support
iLife 5- Speed and power gained from new APIs highlight this update.
Xgrid and Rendezvous- These two tech go hand in hand.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2004-07-06, 17:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison
Xgrid and Rendezvous- These two tech go hand in hand.
Um, Xgrid already depends on Rendezvous, and always has. So what's the point?
hmurchison
Veteran Member

2004-07-06, 17:32

WWDC Sessions mentioned Rendezvous improvements I ran out of time posting but I'm just curious to see what updates to both technologies may happen by Tiger's release.
doutee

Send a message via AIM to doutee Send a message via MSN to doutee  
2004-07-07, 11:58

Hopefully my problems will be solved for iCat. I wrote the developers of iCar and they sent me an early beta of icar 0.7. I know it is a beta but we will see how good it works. I still wish Apple would impliment this though.

Last edited by doutee : 2004-07-07 at 12:24.