AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Which Joystick to buy?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Which Joystick to buy?
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2007-10-07, 17:33

Hello!

Looking to buy a controller in Canada that works with my MBP. Something like a PS or Xbox controller. any recommendations? Warnings?

Specifically, anyone know of a good store in Canada/Toronto to buy such a device? CPUSED (now under a new name) offered me a logitech for like $50, which is a ripoff IMO.

Thanks!

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-10-07, 17:36

You can use wired XBox 360 controllers with your MBP. I scored one on eBay for about $15 a while back. There's a third-party driver you need to install (it's actually a System Preferences panel), but it's pretty easy to find.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-10-07, 17:36

You mean a gamepad?

Something like this from Logitech would be fine, but I'm sure there are people with a preference.
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2007-10-07, 23:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz View Post
You can use wired XBox 360 controllers with your MBP. I scored one on eBay for about $15 a while back. There's a third-party driver you need to install (it's actually a System Preferences panel), but it's pretty easy to find.
Any chance you'd know where I could find this driver? Or know the name of it? I'm sure I could borrow one of my brother's xbox controllers if they'd work.

Thanks!

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2007-10-08, 01:17

I got a logictech Dual Action (PS like controller) for $20 at ebgames, works plug and play with the games I've used.
rampancy

2007-10-09, 18:55

You live in Toronto? If you're not one of the faint of heart, I really recommend braving the many computer stores along College St., between Bathurst and Spadina. Many of them may seem pretty dodgy, but they have great prices on all sorts of stuff - and if you look like you know what you're talking about, you won't get fleeced.

I got a Logitech Dual Action 2 for $14 CDN at this place (refurbished, yes, but it works perfectly well) - and then realized that if I'd gone a few doors down the block to Canada Computers I would have gotten a much better price...

"The things that will destroy us are: politics without principle; pleasure without conscience; wealth without work; knowledge without character business without morality; science without humanity; and worship without sacrifice."
- Mahatma Gandhi
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2007-10-10, 15:45

Thanks for the advice! I have to go down to that area anyway to get some books for classes, but I'm going to see if my brother will lend me one of his first. If not, I'll hit up Canada Computers.

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-10-10, 15:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swox View Post
Any chance you'd know where I could find this driver? Or know the name of it? I'm sure I could borrow one of my brother's xbox controllers if they'd work.

Thanks!
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id...troller-driver
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2007-10-12, 11:25

Thanks for the driver info.

When I realized that it was a 360 controller that I'd need (which still sell up here for about $40, even used), I went ahead and bought the Mad Katz Gamepad for Macs. It's awesome, and plug and play with every game I've tried so far.