Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Does anyone else here love flashlights?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Does anyone else here love flashlights?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Fooboy

2008-12-22, 10:23

I spent some time growing up in Florida as a child. There were plenty of heavy storms with power outages and my family in a closet with $1 plastic flashlight from publix. You know, the kind that's always dying when you need it - you smack it and it gets a little brighter for a couple minutes. Not to mention a crappy beam.

I think it is at this point that I purposed in my heart that I would have some totally awesome flashlights when I grew up.

So earlier this year I got into some Surefire flashlights. They are not cheap (I got 2 of mine for $100+ dollars) but they are lifetime warranty, bulletproof, waterproof to 10 yards, LED lights.

Now that I have them I find myself stupefied that I ever went this long without one. It's nice to be hiking, jogging or traveling and being able to have a flashlight smaller than a highlighter, digitally regulated constant brightness flashlight shoot an intensely focused beam of light out 50+ yards.

Here is my first one, surefire L1 with dual output (10 and 65+ lumens). I also have the E2L.

I just got a Nitecore D10 which uses AA batteries (alkaline, rechargeable, lithium, NiMH) and has customizable brightness settings so you can change the brightness to whatever your needs are. For example, if a hurricane hit you can drop this puppy to 1 lumen which is plenty for home tasks and it will go for 100+ hours. $59 from http://4sevens.com.

So yea ... just thought I'd share and see if there any other flashaholics out here. They make good gifts for the gadget freak you can't buy anything for!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2008-12-22, 10:29

Yes! I love flashlights. I used to carry a small maglite on my utility belt, but that little dim bulbed aluminum beastie would be SO overpowered by these new LED torches. I bought some "inexpensive" $30 LED lamps for people last Christmas, but they can't compare to the one in your first photo.

I seem to recall that the LAPD had a contest for suppliers to craft them a next generation flashlight for their cops. Pelican won the contest and suddenly THAT became the "hot" flashlight for every other police department and 'tactically-minded' hotshot out there.... go to their site and see if you can look it up, it was supposed to be pretty sweet.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Fooboy

2008-12-22, 10:40

Drew,

Check this out. Hotwire your maglite.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/rev...te_hotwire.htm

Quote:
The AuroraLite Hotwire kit for the Minimag is really a specialty item. It's intended for those folks who want the absolute brightest light possible in the absolute smallest package, runtime be damned! This is a do-it-yourself kit that upgrades a normal Minimag to a superlight that only runs for about 30 minutes but will knock your socks off. Thankfully, rechargeable cells are used and you can get extras to carry with you.

The kit consists only of the three pieces shown vertically in the center of the picture below: reflector, glass lens, and bulb holder. All the rest you have to get separately. The charger for the batteries is also an additional purchase.

The end result is an ultimate "sleeper" of a flashlight. You pull out what looks like a Minimag and proceed to light the tops of trees 100 yards away.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2008-12-22, 11:18

I like flashlights (torches in the UK) in the way that I like all small, special, well-made things. But I have no use for them so haven't bought one in many years. I live in a city, and furthermore, Paris (London before that). I've never experienced a power grid failure in London or Paris.

Nice torches are fun in the countryside though.

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.
murbot
Hoonigan

2008-12-22, 11:24

I'd rather have a good fleshlight any day.
Foj
Veteran Member

2008-12-22, 11:42

You can have lots of fun with them, too.
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2008-12-22, 12:13

I have a thing for the LED flashlights that have no batteries but are twisted, shaken, or cranked.

I probably like them 'cause I got stuck with a flashlight that died in the back of a cave when I was a kid. I spent 30 minutes crawling out of that cave in the pitch black.

I just bought a $25 flashlight for a gift for a member of my family for Christmas. It's a 3 watt LED that is twisted for power.

real hackers don't use sigs
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-12-22, 12:54

Yeah, flashlights are neat. I've always liked them, and I always have a couple sitting around (and one in my car). I've got a few right now that work by shaking (like Taskiss talks about). One in my nightstand and one in the door pocket of my car, at east reach (both of them).

My grandpa always had a "tinkering garage", with lots of them around when I was a kid (metal ones, before everything went to plastic and all sorts of sizes and designs). He gave me one as a kid so I could make my own lightsaber (no blade, just the hilt/prop)...black electrical tape, screwed on a few extra pieces, cut some blue cellophane into a circle and put it between the glass and bulb, etc. It already had a hook/belt ring on the end, which made it that much cooler and "Luke-like".

Yes, my first forays into dorkhood centered around the humble flashlight.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2008-12-22, 12:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot View Post
Have you been going through my mail?

I like headlamps better than flashlights. What's the deal with holding things when you don't have to.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-12-22, 13:01

Oh dear. Reading murbot's contribution to the thread:

Quote:
Leads to cross-wired hilarity:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post
I have a thing for the fleshlights that are twisted, shaken, or cranked.
murbot
Hoonigan

2008-12-22, 13:08

That is some funny shit there.
digitaldave

2008-12-22, 13:44

I have a few torches. I've had an AA mini Maglite for ages, but it's been upgraded with an LED drop in to replace the bulb. I also have a Fenix E01 AAA LED key chain light, and a Fenix L1D AA that's much brighter than the 2D Maglite I gave to my father in law because the Fenix is so bright in comparison. Until this morning, I did have a Surefire E1B, but I'm trading it with some guy in Texas for an L1 like the one that Fooboy mentioned in the first post. Finally, I have a Surefire 6P and a number of different drop in modules - the original xenon bulb, a SF P60L LED module, some no name LED drop in, and a Malkoff M60 drop in that puts out some serious light - the only problem is that it's not multi-level, but there are ways to fix that.

Dave.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2008-12-22, 14:25

LED = no more bulbs
wind-up = no more batteries
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2008-12-22, 15:08

I may be one with bad luck, but I've found wind-up to be quite sucky long term. At first it last pretty well, but after some use (and disuse), it loses charge too rapidly that you end up winding it the entire time and it's just inconvenient because both of your hands are too busy.

(and I know that Murbot is going to take the last phrase away)
Artap99
Totally awesome.

Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2008-12-22, 17:47

I mostly just use the 9 LED lights that are around $5 at Target because I lose them pretty easily. Or I use a headlamp for when I work early in the morning.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2008-12-22, 18:14

I love flashlights too - when I was a kid I would collect them. At one point I probably had 15 or so.

My current and favorite setup is a 2 AA mini maglite with this LED upgrade kit, both of which can be had at Wal-Mart for about 8 bucks each. You can't beat the mini maglite's very low cost and durability, and the above-linked LED upgrade seems to offer a good compromise between brightness and runtime.

I also have a 21-LED flashlight that I found at CVS for cheap - it's a lot brighter, but only lasts for a couple hours. Makes a great bicycle headlight though.

You ask me for a hamburger.
Artap99
Totally awesome.

Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2008-12-22, 21:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans View Post
I also have a 21-LED flashlight that I found at CVS for cheap - it's a lot brighter, but only lasts for a couple hours. Makes a great bicycle headlight though.
21, you say? I could have 12 more LEDs?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-12-22, 21:56

I'm fond of good flashlights. I've never sprung for tactical ones. I used to keep a Maglite strapped to my fire helmet but ended up going to cheap Eveready ones after burning up a few Maglites.

I have a few shake and squeeze powered LED ones but they are crap and more for last ditch. I have a handful of Mini Mags and one 4 D-Cell Mag. I got a cheap LED conversion kit for it but removed it because the light sucked. I should have bought the real Maglite version. I really could use one that straps to my head though for when working in tight areas.

I guess it's time that I actually invest in a good flashlight with LED. My rechargeable batteries will last forever in that thing and the light will be awesome...

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2008-12-23, 07:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artap99 View Post
21, you say? I could have 12 more LEDs?
Indeed.

(though the casing doesn't fit together quite as well as the picture wants you to think)
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-12-23, 11:37

Quote:

I knew it... I totally called it as soon as I saw the thread title....

I knew Murbot would be unable to avoid making the obligatory Fleshlight joke at the site of this thread title.

My next business venture: Moogs' Psychic Friends Network.

...into the light of a dark black night.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2008-12-23, 20:46

I used to love playing with them as a kid. But have to confess, Have a bit of a thing for small powerfull LED types now.
And No Murbot i don't mean fleshlights!!

I used to be undecided.....But now I'm not so sure.
No trees were harmed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2008-12-23, 20:55

A googled pic of my little Princeton Tec Pulsar II keychain light:

It's on my keychain, wherever I go; and I like it cuz it's so tiny, lightweight, and cute. Not to mention, *bright*!

Nice handy little thing, for $10. Honestly, it's so lightweight that it hardly weighs *anything* at all!
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2008-12-24, 08:41

Our dog Jude loves flashlights. He'll chase that light all over, pounce on it, try to grab it with his paws. If you put the flashlight down, he will stare at it and drool. Do you drool at flashlights? I didn't think so. My dog wins.

Taskiss
Veteran Member

2008-12-24, 08:45

Here's what I carry...
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2008-12-24, 12:55

I don't carry a flashlight? Does that make me weird? Should I go see a therapist?
zippy
Veteran Member

2008-12-24, 13:28

I have a few of these that I really like. It features a standard spot/beam light on the end, but also has a fluorescent tube down the side so you can set it on a table and get some area lighting.

The first one I had was a standard bulb, but when I went to get more, they had switched to the LED spotlight. I prefer the regular one - LED lights just don't project a beam as well.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-12-25, 13:01

I just got this one for Christmas.
killerrabbit
Sharp, Pointy Teeth

2008-12-25, 13:15

Since it's related... I've gone through quite a few booklights, but only feel puffy heart love toward my precious Spike Light (brand: Great Point Light).

The two LEDs are sweet to my eyes, and I rarely have to replace the battery. I don't hang it from my book (crack spine? *shudders*), but the handle lets me dangle it from my shirt and the bendy spine rests easily/steadily on surfaces, like when I'm supine. *bows in nerdy worship*

"The finest thing in the world is knowing how to belong to oneself." ~Michel de Montaigne
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-12-25, 13:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
I don't carry a flashlight? Does that make me weird? Should I go see a therapist?
Same here. I keep an old, non-LED, 4 D-cell Maglite in the office for emergencies and we have a few candles around the house in case the power goes out, but that's about it. I've had it for eight years, never had to replace the bulb, and only replaced the batteries once this past year.

What's with the keychain flashlights? I mean what real purpose do they serve? They seem awfully bulky to keep on one's keychain (unless you already carry lots of keys and trinkets) and I don't see what good it would do to have such a tiny one with you at all times. Windswept, Taskiss, turtle... care to clue me in?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2008-12-25, 14:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
What's with the keychain flashlights? I mean what real purpose do they serve? They seem awfully bulky to keep on one's keychain (unless you already carry lots of keys and trinkets) and I don't see what good it would do to have such a tiny one with you at all times. Windswept, Taskiss, turtle... care to clue me in?
They're usually billed as a way to see where the keyhole is so you're not fumbling around outside on a cold & dark winter's night, but they're generally useful anyplace you need just a little more light and didn't think to bring a flashlight.