User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Get fit with us! Join Team AppleNova on Fitocracy!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Get fit with us! Join Team AppleNova on Fitocracy!
Page 3 of 6 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  Next Thread Tools
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-02-05, 17:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Who here is gmilroy (Graeme Milroy)? Or do we have an outsider in our midst?
Looking at his Twitter...hmm. The only UK-based (ex-?)BlackBerry user we have that I know of is Iago. But gmilroy also tweets a lot about Android, so idunno. I don't think Iago cares for Android.

gmilroy has been joining a bunch of Fitocracy groups recently, but that could be understandable because he just joined Fitocracy. I tweeted at gmilroy, so we'll see.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2012-02-05, 21:45

I think we need an inquisition...
murbot
Hoonigan

2012-02-06, 11:56

So anyone can just join our gang? I'd say it's ok, except he's above me in the standings, so I want him reprimanded and kicked out immediately.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2012-02-07, 15:18

Fitocracy just posted to their blog about the scoring controversy. Let me just say that this is how all sites should handle big screwups. Worth a read to see that they get it.

http://blog.fitocracy.com/post/17221...e-to-our-users

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2012-02-07, 15:23

How should I track 2 hours of trench digging/retaining wall building? It's got to count for something, right?
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2012-02-07, 16:00

Snow shovelling is an option - that's close?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2012-02-07, 16:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Snow shovelling is an option - that's close?
It's been so long since I shoveled snow, I have no idea.
murbot
Hoonigan

2012-02-08, 09:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
How should I track 2 hours of trench digging/retaining wall building? It's got to count for something, right?
I bet it's probably probably close. Some of the heavy snows we get up here are definitely harder work than putting in a retaining wall. I actually did both last year - the wall was 400 feet long and 1-3' high. A workout for sure.

I still need to figure out how to track yesterday's hauling of 43 boxes of hardwood flooring up 2 flights of stairs. Hiking + farmer's walks maybe. Funny, after doing the work, I'm too lazy to bother entering it. Maybe my fingers are sore.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-02-11, 00:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot View Post
So anyone can just join our gang? I'd say it's ok, except he's above me in the standings, so I want him reprimanded and kicked out immediately.

Well, gmilroy left our group. So, uh, that's that, I guess.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2012-02-11, 07:56

Straight ignoring him until he went away worked. The Internet is like high school you guys!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-02-13, 19:40

I was asked on Twitter to write another pep talk, so here goes.

So jdcfsu's latest workout not only leveled him up, it brought Team Awesome's average level up to level 7.

Woo! Go team!

(that was seven smileys i want you to notice that)

HOWEVER.

If everybody leveled up just once, our average level would be level 8! I think! I think that's how math works. Right? And 8 is considered to be a lucky number in many Asian cultures. You want to be lucky, don't you?

Don't be discouraged if you are near the bottom of the leaderboard. That just means it will be extra-easy to level up!

Plus, once you get into the rhythm of working out, it'll get easier to make yourself go each time. It gets better! It's like turning around a ship. Once you make good habits and get yourself headed in the right direction, it's pretty much smooth sailing as long as you keep heading in that right direction. Right? But if you're headed in the wrong direction, you'll eventually dash yourself upon the rocks. And that's bad.

There's no time like the present to make good habits! Because the habits you make make you. It's easy to play the someday game — oh, someday I'll start working out, someday I'll start eating better, someday I'll go back to school, whatever — as if life will just sort of make that happen for you. But it won't! You have to make it happen yourself. I guess here the analogy would be like floating along without a sail, hoping that by some happy accident the currents of life will take you to the port you want to go to (you know, the one filled with booze and attractive people who love sailors). But they won't! More than likely, the currents of life will take you someplace you don't want to go, like New Jersey. You have to put up the sail and make the change happen for yourself. It's harder than just floating along, especially at first. But what's the alternative, really?

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2012-02-13, 21:23

If I could digitally stand and clap, I would. And considering I was born in New Jersey, take Robo's advice and get out there and work it!
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2012-02-13, 22:00

I just got back from the gym and wanted to share a story.

Today was week 3 day 3 of Couch 2 5k. Three weeks ago I wasn't running at all, and the first day was challenging. Tonight, right before my last running interval, a former coworker walked up to talk to me at the treadmill.

I hadn't seen this guy for a few months, and I was happy to see him. I wasn't happy about interrupting my run, though. So I just went ahead and started running while we talked. We talked for two solid minutes of the three minute interval, and I wasn't even winded.

If I went from doing nothing fee weeks ago to doing that tonight, I think every one of you could at least go do some push ups or something.

Robo's right. We can all do this!
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2012-02-15, 17:51

What produces better results:

Doing more sets of fewer reps a piece (i.e. 4 sets of 10 reps) with increasing weight?

or

Doing fewer sets with more reps (i.e. 2 sets of 15 reps) with increasing weights?

Just curious.

Website | Twitter
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-02-15, 18:13

Depends what your goal is. If you want strength, you'll want more weight with less reps. If you want definition, you'll want less weight with more reps. Of course that's just the simplified answer but that's it in a nut shell.
Artap99
Totally awesome.

Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2012-02-15, 20:46

I will update more when the iPhone application comes out. For now, I seem to be too lazy to enter it all into my computer.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-02-15, 21:31

There's a mobile version of the website, you know... I would be surprised if the iPhone app is much more than a dumb wrapper for it.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2012-02-15, 22:30

I have it saved as an on-home-screen web app. In fact, it's the only site I've done that with.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-02-15, 22:41

It's actually a pretty good mobile-version website. The UI and functionality are pared down and rearranged just enough to feel like a proper fit on an iPhone form factor.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2012-02-16, 05:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
There's a mobile version of the website, you know... I would be surprised if the iPhone app is much more than a dumb wrapper for it.
They've posted screenshots of it on twitter and Pinterest. It's a true native app, and it looks fantastic.

The mobile site is okay, but it's slow as hell on 3G. I'm looking forward to the app. They say it'll just be a few more weeks!
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2012-02-25, 19:31

For all your running Novians, check this app out: https://www.zombiesrungame.com/. It's supposed to come out this week and could be a lot of fun.
AWR
Veteran Member

2012-03-04, 16:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I was asked on Twitter to write another pep talk, so here goes.

So jdcfsu's latest workout not only leveled him up, it brought Team Awesome's average level up to level 7.

Woo! Go team!

(that was seven smileys i want you to notice that)

HOWEVER.

If everybody leveled up just once, our average level would be level 8! I think! I think that's how math works. Right? And 8 is considered to be a lucky number in many Asian cultures. You want to be lucky, don't you?

Don't be discouraged if you are near the bottom of the leaderboard. That just means it will be extra-easy to level up!

Plus, once you get into the rhythm of working out, it'll get easier to make yourself go each time. It gets better! It's like turning around a ship. Once you make good habits and get yourself headed in the right direction, it's pretty much smooth sailing as long as you keep heading in that right direction. Right? But if you're headed in the wrong direction, you'll eventually dash yourself upon the rocks. And that's bad.

There's no time like the present to make good habits! Because the habits you make make you. It's easy to play the someday game — oh, someday I'll start working out, someday I'll start eating better, someday I'll go back to school, whatever — as if life will just sort of make that happen for you. But it won't! You have to make it happen yourself. I guess here the analogy would be like floating along without a sail, hoping that by some happy accident the currents of life will take you to the port you want to go to (you know, the one filled with booze and attractive people who love sailors). But they won't! More than likely, the currents of life will take you someplace you don't want to go, like New Jersey. You have to put up the sail and make the change happen for yourself. It's harder than just floating along, especially at first. But what's the alternative, really?
Come orn, Robo!! Make this your week!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-03-04, 17:43

It will be! I'm back at the apartment for a while, so I can use our little gym.

I went for a walk on Saturday, and haven't logged that yet. But other than that, I didn't do much when I was away. All of Bri's weights are too hardcore for me

Oh, and gmilroy pinged me back on Twitter, and said he was a lurker here. Hi gmilroy, if you're reading this!

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2012-03-04, 19:02

I did Week 6 Day 1 of C25K this morning. I picked up my speed a little bit (shaved about a minute/mile off my pace) and it felt great. It was a hell of a lot of work, but I didn't struggle with it like I thought I would.

I think I'll try the same pace again for Day 2. I'll probably go back to my "normal" pace for day 3. It's a 25 minute solid run, and I know I couldn't do that at the faster pace yet. Maybe by the end of the program.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2012-03-29, 09:31

The Fitocracy iOS app is out and it's actually pretty slick. You have to "start a workout or routine" to find you existing saved routines, but otherwise I'm pretty impressed. It's much better than I was expecting.

And yes, I know I need to get back to the gym and back into my routines. Should be able to get back fully in another few weeks. Stupid dermatologists.

Website | Twitter
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2012-03-31, 19:22

This morning I jogged for a solid hour. I have no idea how that happened, but yes, I ran for an hour. I think it's fair to say I'm done with couch to 5K now.

My wife and I are both on vacation this week, so I'll probably be working out a lot. I need to get back to the gym, though. I've not done much other than run for the last couple of weeks. As much as I love running, that's not enough.
AWR
Veteran Member

2012-04-01, 04:07

Super. 5k in the rearview mirror! Congrats.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2012-04-01, 06:20

You guys a morans. I can't even muster the energy to join.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2012-04-01, 09:30

Well done Wyatt - congrats.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-04-01, 10:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
It will be! I'm back at the apartment for a while, so I can use our little gym.
Oy! Get crackin'!

Also, way to go Wyatt!