User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iPod mini availability in the US

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPod mini availability in the US
feend

2004-06-19, 13:10

I'm thinking of purchasing an iPod mini during a trip to the US at the end of the month. There's lots of talk about availability in Europe and Canada but what is the situation in the US?

Can I just walk into an Apple store and walk out with an iPod mini in my choice of colour? Can I call and reserve one to pick up in a couple of weeks?

I notice there is an option of Apple's site to buy through the web from a store e.g. the shop online link on http://www.apple.com/retail/millenia/

What does that mean exactly?
HOM
The Elder™

2004-06-19, 13:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by feend
I'm thinking of purchasing an iPod mini during a trip to the US at the end of the month. There's lots of talk about availability in Europe and Canada but what is the situation in the US?

Can I just walk into an Apple store and walk out with an iPod mini in my choice of colour? Can I call and reserve one to pick up in a couple of weeks?
Depends on which store I guess. It would also depend on where in the US you are going to be. An ARS won't hold an item for more than 24 hours so you can't call now to reserve a blue mini.
Quote:
I notice there is an option of Apple's site to buy through the web from a store e.g. the shop online link on http://www.apple.com/retail/millenia/

What does that mean exactly?
It means that the store gets credit for the sale, but it still ships from the online store warehouse. So if store.apple.com says it's going to take a month to ship, it's going to take a month to ship from a retail store's 'page'.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-06-19, 13:59

I don't know about retail availability, but even the Apple Store online here says four weeks.

I checked sometime in late April and it said 3-5 weeks. Then about two weeks later it said 6 weeks. Now it's been saying 4 weeks for the past two weeks or so.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2004-06-20, 02:10

I managed to get one last week, but only because the Apple Store employees recommended I call the store every day at noon to see if they had gotten any Minis in. Apple doesn't tell them in advance when their next shipment will be. So last Monday I called at noon and they had just gotten 15 of them in - and 10 of them were already sold. I asked them to hold one for me and they could only hold it for an hour. I made it there in time and got it, but believe me, every one of those 15 Minis were sold within 2 hours of the store getting them in stock.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-06-20, 02:37

[short rant]
Does anyone else think Apple should have seen this coming and overproduced the mini's?

<raises hand>

[/short rant]
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2004-06-20, 07:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
[short rant]
Does anyone else think Apple should have seen this coming and overproduced the mini's?

<raises hand>

[/short rant]
well i never heard anyone that didn't say they were crazy for offering something at only $50 less than the entry price to iPod. let alone suggest that it would outsell iPod.
as for availability, i understand that the waiting lists are smaller and sture availabity should be increasing.
i was in the NO. MICH. AV. store 3 staturdays ago and they had a hundred, i was in a couple of days after and they were gone.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
JohnHenry

2004-06-27, 22:40

I ordered the ipod mini in the beginning of march (pink) and have yet to receive one.