User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Car Talk
Page 37 of 68 First Previous 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41  Next Last Thread Tools
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2012-02-18, 20:46

Wow, I love the color too. I typically favor black, almost exclusively, but this off-white doesn't look half bad...

That tint don't look legal.. What's the law in Nevada?

User formally known as Sh0eWax
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2012-02-18, 20:47

Nice wheels. But White? It's gonna be a bitch to keep clean.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2012-02-18, 21:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeriatric View Post
Nice wheels. But White? It's gonna be a bitch to keep clean.
You'd be surprised! White isn't so bad. Not as bad as black.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2012-02-18, 21:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
You'd be surprised! White isn't so bad. Not as bad as black.
True. Black would be worse.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2012-02-18, 22:10

What kind of tint did you get? I wouldn't go that dark but I would like a nice quality tint.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2012-02-18, 22:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
What kind of tint did you get? I wouldn't go that dark but I would like a nice quality tint.
I'll second this question.

From what I know; the stuff made by 3M is typically well regarded. That's what I'll be getting. Three layer, nonmetallic.
Quagmire
meh

2012-02-19, 10:57

Super drool...... The White Diamond tri-coat paint is awesome. Though will be a bitch if any paint work needs to be done since it is a tri-coat.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2012-02-20, 02:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I love your vanity plate, btw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot View Post
Whoa. That Is a seriously nice looking car, man. I *really* like it. I could see myself in that car easily.

Vanity plate is neat too. Heh.
Thanks. For I am a nerd, and this is my wagon.

Quote:
That tint don't look legal.. What's the law in Nevada?
Quote:
Quote:
I'll second this question.
It's a nano-ceramic tint made by a company local to Las Vegas. I don't remember the company but I can look it up. A number of companies make the nano tint now though. I like it because it blocks a lot more heat than it looks like it would, more than standard tint. This is 15% tint, it's probably not legal but it's not as dark as limo tint either. On the inside it's light enough to see out at night with no problems, that's why I didn't want to go any darker.

I had this tint on my STi too, and it's really good at blocking heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
Super drool...... The White Diamond tri-coat paint is awesome. Though will be a bitch if any paint work needs to be done since it is a tri-coat.
Yeah, I'm going to hope I'll never need to get anything painted on it. I am really happy with how it looks.
Eugene
careful with axes

2012-02-20, 09:50

So many GM cars in your photos. It's like an ad!
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2012-02-20, 09:58

Quick question car gurus: should my 2001 VW jetta tell me if it's low on oil?

I ask because on a hunch I checked the oil yesterday and it was severely low, as in, putting a clean dipstick in and pulling it out showed no oil on its tip. I put in a quart and that got it at the low point of the "grid" thing on the end of the dipstick.

I would have expected my car to yell at me with all sorts of dummy lights to tell me that my oil was low.

What's going on here?
addabox
Veteran Member

2012-02-20, 12:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBHockey View Post
Quick question car gurus: should my 2001 VW jetta tell me if it's low on oil?

I ask because on a hunch I checked the oil yesterday and it was severely low, as in, putting a clean dipstick in and pulling it out showed no oil on its tip. I put in a quart and that got it at the low point of the "grid" thing on the end of the dipstick.

I would have expected my car to yell at me with all sorts of dummy lights to tell me that my oil was low.

What's going on here?
Get your oil pressure sender checked. It's like a $20 part. You really don't want low oil pressure and no way to know about it. And, of course, there's something up if you're more than a quart low and have been doing recommended interval oil changes. Do you have any obvious leaks?

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2012-02-20, 13:20

What engine do you have? Both the 2.0 and the 1.8T are known to use oil. And it has to be really low to trigger the warning buzzer.

Also, if your pressure sensor was bad it would trigger the check engine light.

Last edited by addison : 2012-02-20 at 13:34.
Quagmire
meh

2012-02-20, 14:38

Always check your oil about once a month or every 2000 miles. Don't rely on your cars sensors. Its why I hate that BMW removed the dip stick. I hate that I have to trust it saying the level is fine without me being able to verify it myself.

giggity
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2012-02-20, 14:53

It is the 2.0L model. I hadn't checked the oil in about 3 months but I don't really drive it much. This car has always burned oil, but this seems excessive!

I have to get it inspected this week anyway. Is the pressure sensor something I can have the mechanic tell me if it's broken or not? Check engine light hasn't been on on months (thank god, each time it comes on its like another $500 trip to the dealer)
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-02-20, 15:03

Quote:
Always check your oil about once a month or every 2000 miles. Don't rely on your cars sensors. Its why I hate that BMW removed the dip stick. I hate that I have to trust it saying the level is fine without me being able to verify it myself.
I'm pretty sure my BMW has a dipstick. And not just behind the wheel.
Quagmire
meh

2012-02-20, 15:25

Quote:
I'm pretty sure my BMW has a dipstick. And not just behind the wheel.
Not the latest generation. The E90 3 series doesn't have an oil dip stick.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-02-20, 16:02

Mine is an E90. But it's a diesel. I wonder if that's the difference.
Quagmire
meh

2012-02-20, 16:05

Quote:
Mine is an E90. But it's a diesel. I wonder if that's the difference.
Maybe as I know the N54 in the 335 doesn't have one.
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2012-02-20, 17:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBHockey View Post
It is the 2.0L model. I hadn't checked the oil in about 3 months but I don't really drive it much. This car has always burned oil, but this seems excessive!

I have to get it inspected this week anyway. Is the pressure sensor something I can have the mechanic tell me if it's broken or not? Check engine light hasn't been on on months (thank god, each time it comes on its like another $500 trip to the dealer)
I wouldn't worry about it too much. That's normal behavior for that engine. My sister in law has that car and I'm always adding oil to it. I'm sure if you take the filler cap off and look at the bottom of it there will be a bunch of milkshake like goo on it. That's normal too, It's an easy engine to sludge if you are completely careless.

The sensor is fine. If it was bad it would trip the check engine light. Save your money and put it towards oil.

Quote:
The VW system only monitors oil pressure not the oil level like the BMW where you hit that little button on the dash and it tells you if you need to add any.
Quagmire
meh

2012-02-20, 19:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by addison View Post
The VW system only monitors oil pressure not the oil level like the BMW where you hit that little button on the dash and it tells you if you need to add any.
I know, but I was saying how I don't like how BMW removed the dipstick making me rely on the sensor. Sensors are great and all, but for things an owner can check( oil, air,etc), I want a way I can check it by hand as well.

giggity
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2012-04-30, 16:27

As I've mentioned before, I have a Citroën C1. It's almost three years old and I thought the air conditioning system was a bit weak compared to other cars I've sat in, so today I had it re-gassed, serviced, etc. This improved the performance only slightly: it still takes several minutes to really chill the cabin temperature.

I was told this is simply because the car has a very small AC compressor. That doesn't bother me at all; I only serviced it because I thought something was wrong (I bought the car used), and thought that it should be fixed sooner rather than later. I'm happy to wait five minutes for the cabin to cool, especially since I only use the car for trips, not commuting.

But I would like to ensure the AC system continues to work as it should. I haven't owned a car with AC before. Do I need to do anything specific to keep it in good health?

The handbook says only the following:
"Operate the air conditioning system for 5 to 10 minutes, once or twice a month, to keep it in perfect working order.

In order to ensure that your air conditioning system continues to operate correctly, you are advised to have it checked regularly.

The condensation created by the air conditioning results in a flow of water under the vehicle when stationary which is perfectly normal. If the system does not produce cold air, do not use it and contact a CITROËN dealer.

The air conditioning system does not contain chlorine and does not present any danger to the ozone layer."
Any other tips for use or maintenance of the AC system? How do you use your AC?

Last edited by Dorian Gray : 2012-04-30 at 16:57.
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2012-04-30, 17:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
Any other tips for use or maintenance of the AC system? How do you use your AC?
You can make sure the air intakes at the base of the windshield are clean. They can get obstructed by debris especially if you park under trees a lot.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-04-30, 20:28

Does anyone have experience with aftermarket touch screen stereo/av head units? I've thinking about installing one in my truck lately and I've had my eye on the new Alpine INE-Z928HD. It's the first 8" screen, I believe and seems to be very well designed. I like the fact that I can integrate my OnStar, keep my steering wheel controls, Bluetooth audio and phone calls, integrated gps, and so on.

I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions on some other models they may have used first hand. I spend a lot of time in my truck for work and I think it'd be a nice present for myself this summer when it's released.

Last edited by Yontsey : 2012-04-30 at 21:05.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2012-05-01, 17:45

I saw the new Toyota Prius V and it looked quite interesting. I have always thought that the basic Prius design was a smart one for a hybrid, allowing for accommodation of the battery in a way that still makes the car work well overall. Toyota did a lot to develop the technology in the first place, but I felt that it would be nice if they could do more, especially in making the Prius just a bit bigger and more comfortable and capable.

It looks like Toyota has done just that with the Prius V. It could be our next car. I am a bit put off, though, by the reviews that say that the new Prius still has indifferent handling and mushy brakes. It does not have to be that way with a hybrid. Even in Toyota's regular cars though, I have never been impressed with their actual driving characteristics, even if their overall engineering is generally superb. "Built for drivers" is definitely not Toyota's motto. I don't like cars or driving generally, but if I have to do it - and I do sometimes - I do appreciate good handling and firm brakes.

Anyway, we are not looking to replace our Subaru Legacy wagon right away, but when we do I will take the Prius for a test drive to see how it feels first hand.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2012-05-01, 18:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney View Post
"Built for drivers" is definitely not Toyota's motto.
It's funny, I agree with you in principle, but Toyota is the company, along with Subaru, that made this happen:

And that car (Scion FR-S and Subaru BRZ) is what pretty much everybody is calling the purest driver's car in decades. Sure seems like they'd be able to take some of that engineering focus and aim it towards the Prius, right?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-05-01, 20:39

I saw one of those Prius V's in traffic today. Looks so big for a Prius but small compared to my Sienna.

On to a topic I happen to love more though: Drool

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2012-05-02, 12:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
On to a topic I happen to love more though: Drool
Yeah, that GT500 is now what I'd consider to be the world's best automative bargain. It will give a Ferrari 458 an actual run for its money in a straight line, and it costs 1/5 what a 458 does. It's not a better car than a 458, don't get me wrong - but it is toeing the line between muscle car and supercar. Muscle car price and attitude, supercar straight line performance. It's also pretty good in turns, from what I understand. For $55k you're getting a ridiculous amount of car.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-05-02, 12:14

I was thinking - why are car radios still so big? My iPad costs less than many fancy head units and does way more in way less space. What gives?
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2012-05-02, 12:26

I think in a lot of cases the size is there for navigation units, even if your model doesn't have nav. Case in point: the Scion FR-S vs. the Subaru BRZ which are for all intents and purposes the exact same car. The difference is that the Scion does not have nav available, and it's standard on the BRZ. So the Scion head unit looks like this:

But the space it fits into is a double DIN space, so it can fit the nav unit in the Subaru:

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-05-02, 18:58

Quote:
I was thinking - why are car radios still so big? My iPad costs less than many fancy head units and does way more in way less space. What gives?
Easier control while keeping your eye on the road. We know that none of us actually look at the radio while we are driving. Size matters in a case like this. Does it need to be big, no. Wheel controls and voice mean we could do it with something really small. Thing is that hasn't shifted in view yet. We are all to busy pushing buttons and turning knobs while driving to notice how big it is.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.