User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Thundersnow

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Thundersnow
Bonn89

2008-12-21, 22:39

Has anyone here ever been in a snowstorm/blizzard and experienced thundersnow?

I live ~20 miles from the midcoast of Maine, and we've been getting constant snow for the last 7 hours now (probably a foot of snow built up), and about 20 minutes ago we began hearing/seeing thunder and lightning!

I've never heard of this happening before, but according to wikipedia it's not unheard of, although the way this storm started, with the thunderstorm moving in long after the snow, is apparently pretty rare.

So, has anyone here ever been witness to thundersnow?
faramirtook
A for effort.

2008-12-21, 23:49

No, but it sounds like an awesome superhero power.
johnny5w

2008-12-21, 23:57

My wife witnessed one in February. She wouldn't stop talking about it
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2008-12-21, 23:58

I have once, northern New York about 6-7 years ago.

It was about 60ºF during the day with a cold front moving through later that night. It started out as rain, but the temperature dropped about thirty degrees in about an hour and it switched to snow. Right as it was switching to snow the sky started to light up with lightning. Pretty damn cool.

I'm a bit of a weather freak though.

St Bonney, are you off the Downeast coast or more down state towards Portland?

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
Bonn89

2008-12-22, 00:11

I'm in Belfast, which is roughly 30 miles southwest of Bangor and right on the coast.. so yeah, downeast-ish.
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2008-12-22, 00:21

I've seen it before in Toronto. Caught me off guard the first time, but I've been ready for it ever since. Now I'm prepared for thunder at any moment, no matter what the season. If there was thunder right now, as I'm typing this, I wouldn't lose a beat. I wouldn't even flinch.

As some of you may have already figured out, I'm basically a ninja.

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2008-12-22, 01:04

Yes, last Thursday morning in Seattle. It seriously sounded like something exploded nearby, not like any other thunder I've ever heard. It hasn't stopped snowing since, so thundersnow must have magical powers.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2008-12-22, 01:41

nm.

Last edited by billybobsky : 2008-12-22 at 02:05.
noleli2

2008-12-22, 02:18

Two years ago I was in NYC for an a cappella event that happened to fall during the "Blizzard of 2006". There was definitely thunder during that storm, and, needless to say, the event was canceled.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-12-27, 14:23

No Thundersnow this morning (just regular old thunderstorms at the end of December... wtf.com), however I did witness massive amounts of sublimation last night driving through north-central Illinois. I have never seen fog like this before. Was like a "Fog Storm" where you could literally see the wind blowing "smoke" off of all the farm fields and snow piles everywhere. The air was so warm that the icy snow just did the dry ice routine and was evaporating as it melted. This was a blessing because that probably helped alleviate any flood problems that surely would've occured with 10-20" of snow on the ground in various counties and rain, etc. Was bizarre and a less than pleasant driving situation to get stuck in. Most of the time I couldn't see more than about 30' in front of the car.

...into the light of a dark black night.
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2009-01-05, 01:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by St Bonney View Post
Has anyone here ever been in a snowstorm/blizzard and experienced thundersnow?

I live ~20 miles from the midcoast of Maine, and we've been getting constant snow for the last 7 hours now (probably a foot of snow built up), and about 20 minutes ago we began hearing/seeing thunder and lightning!

I've never heard of this happening before, but according to wikipedia it's not unheard of, although the way this storm started, with the thunderstorm moving in long after the snow, is apparently pretty rare.

So, has anyone here ever been witness to thundersnow?
Yes..Once I heard about it from Lewis Black in one of his comedy specials, I knew I HAD to see it..

Then it happens, and I didn't have to do anything special...Just look out my window! This was February 2006.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_A...izzard_of_2006

Amazing storm, and it's a sight to see snow and lightning...

Jebus Google, just buy Apple already...
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2009-01-05, 15:25

I've been in it 4 times now. Can't get enough!
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2009-01-06, 21:34

They just said the word: "Snowmageddon" on the news. And they managed to keep a straight face....
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2009-01-06, 21:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
They just said the word: "Snowmageddon" on the news. And they managed to keep a straight face....
Again? Damn those Canadian weatherpeople.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2009-01-06, 22:04

After all the mess that'll hit tomorrow, I'll be ready to punch Jack Frost right in the snowflakes.

Field work in January sucks.
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2009-01-07, 07:55

I lived in Chicago for a couple of years and we used to get an occasional Thunderstorm during a heavy snow fall, so I do not think it is that unusual. The thunder usually occurred over Lake Michigan. Then again the weather near Chicago can be pretty amazing as there always seems to be a lot of different forces occurring.

Now that I got a job, I can buy more Apple products!