User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Get fit with us! Join Team AppleNova on Fitocracy!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Get fit with us! Join Team AppleNova on Fitocracy!
Page 2 of 6 Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  Next Thread Tools
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2012-01-27, 13:06

Okay, here's my new question: I have a private office and an hour lunch break every day. It's too fucking cold to go do anything outside, so I want some more low-impact (read: won't make me sweat like crazy) stuff I can do in my office until it's warm enough to go for long walks at lunch.

I just started my lunch break with bicycle crunches and ended with regular crunches and push-ups. That's nice and all, but I'd like some ideas for other things I could do in my office. Making it to the gym can be difficult (and it'll be more difficult soon).

What are some other awesome things could I do in 5-10 minutes in my office every day? I'd love to find something I can do for 5-10 minutes in the morning, at lunch, and at the end of the day. I prefer things I can do without equipment, but some light equipment (think dumbbells) might be okay. It just might take a little while for me to find the funds for that.
El Gallo
Formerly “MumboJumbo”

2012-01-27, 13:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Nope, they don't have an app. They were looking for iOS developers a little while back, though, so maybe something's coming soon?

The mobile version of the site works okay, but it's pretty sluggish on 3G. I have it added to my home screen (the only website I've done that with) and it's adequate for just logging stuff at the gym.

The only thing that really sucks about it is that it doesn't support multitasking (because it's a web app). So when I want to figure out my distance based on MPH and time on the treadmill, I have to switch over to my calculator app. When I go back to Fitocracy, I have to start all over. (This means adding multiple sets is a giant PITA.)

It's much less frustrating for weights, where you don't have to calculate anything.
A couple minutes of plank, done properly can be quite the killer. Body weight squats, push ups, chair dips, lunges, push ups and crunches can all create a pretty quick burn too.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2012-01-27, 13:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gallo View Post
A couple minutes of plank, done properly can be quite the killer. Body weight squats, push ups, chair dips, lunges, push ups and crunches can all create a pretty quick burn too.
Ah, plank is a good one. I've done that before, but it'd been so long that I forgot! I'll see if I can find youtube videos for the rest of those that I've not done before. Thanks for the suggestions!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-01-27, 13:29

Quote:
What I prefer things I can do without equipment, but some light equipment (think dumbbells) might be okay. It just might take a little while for me to find the funds for that.
Just as a note for anyone who might be interested: Embark, Gaiam, and Reebok fitness items are all on sale at Target today and tomorrow. Gaiam makes balance balls and yoga mats and stuff, and Embark and Reebok make hand weights/dumbbells (among other things). I purchased some small Embark hand weights when I was recovering from my accident; I don't know if they're a "good brand" but they haven't, like, broken or anything.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2012-01-27, 13:57

Yes, Robo, I'm shrinkme.

I went to the gym during lunch and did a light workout. What a bear to enter all that in! Am I doing it wrong? Since I typically do the same types of activities, I guess I can make them a "routine" so it'll be easier next time. I hope so because I can't imagine doing that every time I need to enter a workout.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-01-27, 14:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
I went to the gym during lunch and did a light workout. What a bear to enter all that in! Am I doing it wrong? Since I typically do the same types of activities, I guess I can make them a "routine" so it'll be easier next time. I hope so because I can't imagine doing that every time I need to enter a workout.
I'd save it as a routine.

Some things are just easier to track than others. Tracking half an hour of cardio is a lot easier than tracking a bunch of different reps. It's really up to you to decide how much you want to track. I'm using Fitocracy to track behavior that's different from before I started working out, so I'm not saving every casual walk or time I climb the stairs (since I did that before). But some people do, and that's cool.

I also don't save my hand weight liftings, because they're embarrassing.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2012-01-27, 14:29

You get 8 routines, so use them. I walk around the gym with my clipboard and exercise sheet (good thing Planet Fitness is the judgement free zone cause I'm the nerd with the clipboard) and then at the end of the day, I sit down at a table and plug them all into my phone. And now I have Monday, Wednesday and Friday routines set so next week, all I have to change are the weights/reps (if they change).

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-01-27, 18:20

All the people I've invited have passed me.

More people who aren't fitness nerds who earn 600 points a pop need to join!
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2012-01-27, 18:23

Can someone suggest a 25-point activity that I can do at work so I stay ahead of Murbot?

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-01-27, 18:27

Walk up the stairs like a dozen times?
AWR
Veteran Member

2012-01-28, 01:38

Quote:
Yes, Robo, I'm shrinkme.

It's YOU, good. Nice points for cycling and running which you like, and easy to enter. I've always been a loner on the fitness trail, this is fun.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2012-01-28, 12:17

Here's what I don't get: The top guy on Fitocracy, Blaize, joined a month ago tomorrow and already has 140k points. Based on his "activity" he must be working out all day long. I don't understand how that's even possible. Don't people have jobs... and lives... and the desire to do other things that three hours of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu?

Website | Twitter
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-01-28, 12:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu View Post
Here's what I don't get: The top guy on Fitocracy, Blaize, joined a month ago tomorrow and already has 140k points. Based on his "activity" he must be working out all day long. I don't understand how that's even possible. Don't people have jobs... and lives... and the desire to do other things that three hours of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu?
This is what Blaize looks like:

jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2012-01-28, 14:07

That's awesome! I can always count on Penny Arcade to hit the nail on the head.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-01-28, 16:58

Yeah, it is fun to have people to do this with . I just happen to be going through one of my fitness kicks which typically hits as the weather starts to improve so this thing is perfect for me right now. I hope to get back to my 8 min/mile form soon. I'm taking it easy so I don't get blisters now that I'm doing the five fingers running thing. I hope to get on the road on my bike soon, too. I hate riding a stationary bike.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-01-28, 17:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I know the feeling. My Fitocracy profile has been in the Zone of Shame for a while now. I've been staying at work until 8 PM or later a lot lately, and I have zero energy/motivation to do healthy things when I get home. One of these days work will settle down and I'll get back into a good routine, I keep telling myself. One of these days, Alice, ONE OF THESE DAYS.

BANG... ZOOOM!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-01-30, 16:01

Quoting jdcfsu on Fitocracy, in case y'all didn't see it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin!
According to the Fitocracy blog, there is an iOS app coming out "early this year." That will be nice because their iOS mobile friendly site is short of awful in the speed and usability department.
Woo! Though I think the phrase is "nothing short of awful." Lots of good things would be short of awful, right? They'd be lots short of awful. Don't make me make a chart...

jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2012-01-30, 17:40

Haha. Thanks for the clarification.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-01-30, 22:57

Is there something going on over on the site? I just logged a run and I don't see it in the timeline. It shows up in the "Track" section so I think it's been entered.

On another note, I spent the run watching part of PJ20. I'm sure if you're not a Pearl Jam fan it'd be thoroughly boring but it really took me back. I remember all those magazine covers and greedily listening to every bootleg I could get my hands on in those days. I haven't listened to many of them in a long time but Vedder's voice is so evocative they're just engrained in my memory. Highly recommended if you've ever liked their music or were a big fan back in the day.
SpecMode
Wait what

2012-01-31, 01:50

Argh, my poor feet... Just got back from an eight mile walk. Beautiful evening outside...nice, cool breeze, lots of frogs providing a nice ambiance, and hardly anyone else to share the sidewalks with. I really need to do that more often.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2012-01-31, 12:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gallo View Post
I just finished my lunch break with some body weight squats. Holy hell that's awesome. I've gotta try all the others now. (I started w/ push-ups, bicycles and regular crunches. Hell of a good lunch break.)

I'm going to try to do a couple more little sets of stuff throughout the day today. I don't have time for the gym tonight (company at home tonight) so I have to do a few little things while I have time. Maybe I'll end my work day with one of the other things you recommended.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-02-01, 14:51

I'm level 5! (Not that Level 5.) Also, I just pulled ahead of alcimedes. TheOtherDave better watch out!

Also, not to brag, but to MOTIVATE: My workout today, which took less than one hour, earned more points for our team than the bottom four people on our leaderboard combined. What I'm saying is, it's easy to earn points and level up! And you'll feel super great, I promise. To quote Legally Blonde, "Exercising releases endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people don't kill people!" If that's not a reason to exercise, then I don't know what is.

So come on, kieran! Do it for Philly!

Come on, turtle! Do it for Jesus!

Come on, Noel! Do it for Obama and hope and progress and political sanity

and FREEEEDOM

*eagle cry*

But most importantly, do it for yourselves! Because you're all super cool and you deserve to be happy and healthy always. <3 <3

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-02-01, 15:55

I managed to squeeze a really good run in during an hour long break between patients. Usually, I'd fritter away that time because it's not *really* long enough to run or workout. But it is. I'll just be a little smelly during my session...

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2012-02-01, 16:05

Quote:
I managed to squeeze a really good run in during an hour long break between patients. Usually, I'd fritter away that time because it's not *really* long enough to run or workout. But it is. I'll just be a little smelly during my session...
That's why you're not supposed to cuddle your patients.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2012-02-02, 17:22

If you're curious how Fitocracy calculates points, then check out this new blog post: http://blog.fitocracy.com/post/16936...ts-a-face-lift

Apparently they are changing the way it works because people were exploiting the point system. Brings us back to the Penny Arcade comic.

Website | Twitter
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2012-02-04, 14:51

I went to the gym this morning and started with couch 2 5K, like I usually do. Today was week 2 day 2, and I felt great after I got off the treadmill.

After about 20 minutes of lifting, I jumped back on the treadmill and ran a solid mile without stopping or slowing down for the first time in my life. Finishing the mile was such a rush.

For the first time ever, I feel like I'm on my way to being really, truly fit. You guys have been a big part of that, and I just wanted to stop in here to say thanks.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-02-04, 15:05

Quote:
I went to the gym this morning and started with couch 2 5K, like I usually do. Today was week 2 day 2, and I felt great after I got off the treadmill.

After about 20 minutes of lifting, I jumped back on the treadmill and ran a solid mile without stopping or slowing down for the first time in my life. Finishing the mile was such a rush.

For the first time ever, I feel like I'm on my way to being really, truly fit. You guys have been a big part of that, and I just wanted to stop in here to say thanks.
Wooooo! I gave you props for your workout. And props for leveling up. SO MANY PROPS

Seriously, keep up the goodness. I find that once your brain "clicks" and makes working out a routine, it's a lot easier to work out (you even find yourself looking forward to it!). Of course, if you ever stop, it's almost like starting from square one all over again. So keep it up! OR ELSE.

AWR
Veteran Member

2012-02-04, 17:01

That's great, Ben! Keep it up, it only get's easier!

(My spell at The Fit has dried up with temps between 15-20F and a bunch of work, might be out for another couple of weeks but I plan to storm back when I do! Best in the meantime.)
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-02-04, 17:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWR View Post
My spell at The Fit has dried up with temps between 15-20F
I've had the opposite problem. We've had unusually nice weather, and it's hard to spend the first brilliantly sunny mornings of the year in a dim gym (I have to exercise with the lights off because the light over the elliptical flickers and gives me headaches). I wanted to do an hour of cardio yesterday, but didn't. I walked a few miles, though, so at least that was something.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-02-05, 16:20

Who here is gmilroy (Graeme Milroy)? Or do we have an outsider in our midst?