Time Capsule

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Time Capsule
Page 1 of 9 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2008-01-15, 12:21

Finally, a wireless Time Machine.

Now, I just need to get a new notebook to take advantage of this.

euain

2008-01-15, 12:27

I just hope this is mirrored with an update to let me use my AP Extreme with Time Machine.

I got it and another external HD in preparation for Leopard coming out. I'll be mighty pissed off if I still can't use it!
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2008-01-15, 12:31

Supposedly it's an AP Extreme with a "server quality" HDD grafted on.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2008-01-15, 12:31

No kidding. The tech almost made it to Leopard for third party HDs to work this way. Apparently, there was a fairly major last-minute discovery of a security glitch. I assume with this, it's been fixed. Hate to see Apple not play nice with third parties.
iFerret

Send a message via MSN to iFerret Send a message via Skype™ to iFerret 
2008-01-15, 12:57

This I could use, but I also quite like the idea of being able to attach a third-party disk to an AE to use for Time Machine or just as a NAS, so hopefully that' still there. But I doubt it, now that Apple has a custom thing. The USB port might still stay though - for printers and stuff.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-01-15, 14:05

I like this product and it's very tempting... I've been looking for remote storage for awhile now. This is a solid price too.
agent302
"I'm learnding!"

Send a message via AIM to agent302  
2008-01-15, 14:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFerret View Post
This I could use, but I also quite like the idea of being able to attach a third-party disk to an AE to use for Time Machine or just as a NAS, so hopefully that' still there. But I doubt it, now that Apple has a custom thing. The USB port might still stay though - for printers and stuff.
Actually, according to the product page, there's still a USB port on Time Capsule, and you can connect another hard drive, or a printer, or a USB hub and then both a printer and hard drive (or combination thereof). So it seems like a pretty sweet package, especially when Apple's only effectively charging $120 for a 500 GB hard drive (Airport Extreme is $179, Time Capsule is $299).
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2008-01-15, 14:20

I'm debating on whether to throw this in with my MBA.

I really do want it.

Do you guys think it's worth it?
Wraven

2008-01-15, 14:27

kieran, I am ABSOLUTELY getting one of these. This has been my biggest complaint about Leopard (no wireless backups). And the price is actually pretty damn good.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-01-15, 14:28

Even the 1TB option seems like a good deal in comparison to the 500 GB option.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-01-15, 14:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran23kk View Post
I'm debating on whether to throw this in with my MBA.

I really do want it.

Do you guys think it's worth it?
Well, considering that the DroboShare is $499 for the drive shell, $199 for the 802.11n... and that's BEFORE adding any drives...

Yeah.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2008-01-15, 14:29

It's $479 on the Edu store.

Maybe I'll wait until I get my tax return back and spring for it.

it does look like a good deal, especially the 1TB. That's crazy.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-01-15, 14:47

IMO, this was the best product announced today. Minimal cost for Apple to design and manufacture it; I bet they sell a shitload of them. I'll buy one with my next Mac Pro most likely.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2008-01-15, 14:50

The name is clever. Kudos to whoever thought of the name.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  

Agreed, Moogs. This, to me, is the best news of the day.
SpecMode
Wait what

Ooo, I forgot about the tax return thing! I may end up investing in one of these myself...though I wonder if you can use it as anything other than just a Time Machine drive (i.e., could I use it as a regular AirPort Disk, since it includes that software in the package?).
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 

Got to agree with Moogs, this was something that, although I wasn't expecting it, was a great move on Apple's part. I recall thinking a few months ago that Apple might do something of the sort, but didn't think it would appear as it has.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2008-01-15, 14:52

It's got 3 LAN ports? I need 2 for my HDHomerun and 360 + 1 for my mini since my LAN speeds seem to be pretty slow. Maybe this will do better. I can take my netgear router back to Costco and pick this up. It'd be nice to have a place for my MBP backups...
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-01-15, 15:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode View Post
Ooo, I forgot about the tax return thing! I may end up investing in one of these myself...though I wonder if you can use it as anything other than just a Time Machine drive (i.e., could I use it as a regular AirPort Disk, since it includes that software in the package?).
According to the site you can use the hard drive for regular NAS storage as well as Time Machine backups which is a good thing. I can see this thing hosting iTunes and iPhoto libraries as well as all the Time Machine backups, all locked down to have specific user access. Not a bad deal.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
Reid

2008-01-15, 15:12

This is cool, but I am going to be stewing mad if they don't release a software update to Leopard that enables this functionality with current AirPort Extreme base stations using a USB drive. I bought one of those just a few weeks prior to the release of Leopard expressly for that purpose, because it was a prominently documented feature until right up before the release. I can see absolutely NO reason (outside of marketing) why they shouldn't let you do this with existing AirPort Extremes as well.
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2008-01-15, 15:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid View Post
This is cool, but I am going to be stewing mad if they don't release a software update to Leopard that enables this functionality with current AirPort Extreme base stations using a USB drive. I bought one of those just a few weeks prior to the release of Leopard expressly for that purpose, because it was a prominently documented feature until right up before the release. I can see absolutely NO reason (outside of marketing) why they shouldn't let you do this with existing AirPort Extremes as well.
++++++
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-01-15, 15:52

You mean connect a USB drive to the Aiport Extreme? Didn't even realize they had a USB port...
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2008-01-15, 16:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
You mean connect a USB drive to the Aiport Extreme? Didn't even realize they had a USB port...
AirPort base stations have had USB ports for a long time (even the AirPort Express does), though initially for printer sharing. The 802.11n AirPort Extreme of early 2007 added AirPort Disk, which essentially adds NAS-like functionality. Apple originally intended to ship Leopard with a version of Time Machine that could use such a network drive directly.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-01-15, 16:33

Looks like just what I was looking for, since my AirPort Express died some time ago.

Maybe it's finally time to upgrade to Leopard.

Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2008-01-15, 17:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid View Post
I totally agree - I did exactly the same thing. It would still be cheaper than getting an airport and external HD, so I wouldn't see it affecting sales of the new device. I'm not switching to theirs after I already put my money into this equipment.

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
Eugene
careful with axes

2008-01-15, 17:55

Apple should really consider offering a NAS of some sort with 4 bays like a ReadyNAS or direct-attached Drobo. I really can't see myself happily buying an external single drive back-up solution for multiple computers.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-01-15, 17:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
Apple should really consider offering a NAS of some sort with 4 bays like a ReadyNAS or direct-attached Drobo. I really can't see myself happily buying an external single drive back-up solution for multiple computers.
The average consumer won't need more than 1TB of space even if they have multiple computers. I have a single computer with only a 120 GB Time Machine drive and there are still 20 GB on there and I have backups to October. By the time a typical consumer fills up their Time Machine drive and it starts clearing out older backups, there is no need to go that far back into time. If you're a user that needs a multiple bay NAS solution, then there are options out there but it seems that Apple isn't targeting that demographic.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
Wrao
Yarp

2008-01-15, 18:22

This product is great. I didn't give a damn about Time Machine until now.
sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2008-01-15, 19:06

I'm totally gonna buy this.

*looks underneath the couch for spare pennies*
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-01-15, 19:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
This product is great. I didn't give a damn about Time Machine until now.
I think that will nicely sum up market reaction to the Time Capsule. Perfectly sum it up actually.