Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Tweetie for Mac - Free vs Paid

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Tweetie for Mac - Free vs Paid
iMac430

2009-11-15, 12:00

Hey everyone.

I am using Tweetie as my Twitter client of choice and I am debating of paying to go ad-free and support development of the app. On the other hand, the ads are about other Mac apps for the most part and are not obtrusive at all, but actually look pretty nice.

For those of you who use Tweetie for the Mac, have you paid to go ad-free, or are you using the free version?
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2009-11-15, 12:06

I paid. While the ads aren't intrusive, I figure that if I'm going to use the software I might as well compensate the developer for their work. People paying for it continue it's development and can only make it better.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2009-11-15, 21:33

I did the same.

I paid for it. My reasoning was that by paying for it, I'm contributing towards future development of the product.

I've paid for Twitter clients on the iPhone as well, when there is a paid/ad version.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2009-11-15, 21:45

I paid, too, but doesn't he presumably get paid through the placement of ads? Seems to me that's the point of it.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2009-11-15, 21:52

I thought that too. But how many people actually click on those ads? I've never climes on any ad, so I based my decision on that.
lightning_bug

Send a message via AIM to lightning_bug  
2009-11-15, 22:44

I haven't paid for the Mac version yet, but I did something I never would've considered before - and that's buy the Tweetie app on iPod touch. A good bit of software for $3 - and I'll likely pay for the Mac version at some point as well. May wait until Tweetie 2 though if their pricing structure holds consistent from how they did things on iPhone/iPod touch - wouldn't want to pay full price and then have to do it again immediately after they upgrade (which would be almost immediately, with my luck).

Guess our wishes don't do dishes or brake repairs...
Twitter | Flickr | last.fm | PSN: TheLittleDoctor
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2009-11-15, 23:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_bug View Post
May wait until Tweetie 2 though if their pricing structure holds consistent from how they did things on iPhone/iPod touch - wouldn't want to pay full price and then have to do it again immediately after they upgrade (which would be almost immediately, with my luck).
Not that argument again. Look at it this way, it was a $3.99 upgrade fee for a great piece of software. Clearly it was worth those $4. Will Tweetie 2 for mac be another $15? Probably not. Will it be worth it? Most likely. Indie developers make some amazing pieces of software that are, in most cases, better than their big company counter parts and in order to keep them in business we need to support them.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
cosus
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to cosus Send a message via AIM to cosus Send a message via MSN to cosus Send a message via Yahoo to cosus Send a message via Skype™ to cosus 
2009-11-15, 23:48

Google seems to think the ads are clicked. I imagine they got ad click #s before they bought admob.
iMac430

2009-11-16, 00:14

Thanks your your input guys. I bought both Tweetie and Tweetie 2 for my iPod touch 2G. I think I may just wait until Tweetie 2 comes out for the Mac and then I will probably buy it. Tweetie, as it is now is sure a fantastic piece of software though.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2009-11-16, 00:37

I'm still on Tweetie on my iPod touch. It does what I need it to do, and I'm not gonna pay for an update like that.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2009-11-16, 02:55

I don't know why you're so against spending the $3 on Tweetie 2, but if Tweetie does what you need it to, then by all means, stick with it.

However, Tweetie 2 is an incredible upgrade. It's not an update, it's an entirely new version of Tweetie and well worth the updgrade price.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
CitizenTony

2009-11-16, 03:34

I own Tweetie and bought Tweetie 2. After Twitterrific 2 came out I dropped Tweetie 1 to use it, but with Tweetie 2 I've gone back due to its smooth scrolling. But I don't understand the hype and incredible claims surrounding Tweetie 2. It's nice, a bit ugly, but the scrolling is perfect. Otherwise Twitterrific 2 and many others are at least on par and have been for a while.

Tweetie on the Mac is my main client, but it's pretty bad. The border never changes when it loses focus and you can't easily right click to copy text. Things like trying to get the dictionary to pop-up are a chore. I'd use Twitterrific but I do prefer Tweetie.

I'm really at a loss as to why Tweetie is so highly regarded. Nice, but somewhat flawed. And I'd wait for Tweetie 2: Mac to come out before paying. The ads aren't bad or intrusive and you never know what the developer will do. Even if I doubt he'll charge anything for the update.

But I'm a bit vexed at how long it's taking The Hit List to leave beta and come out with his iPhone app after paying early for the Mac app. Had I known it'd take so long and that he'd all but stop communicating with users, I'd have stuck with Things. But now I feel vested in an incomplete solution with no end in sight and no word from the developer. It's putting me off paying early for software for the time being
remlemasi
Formerly “theelmerguy”

2009-11-16, 03:59

Any thoughts on Echofon?
GOLDFRAPP

2009-11-16, 05:35

I so want to love Tweetie 2 for iPhone, but whenever I start using it, I keep returning to Twitterrific.