Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

MacFUSE: FUSE for the Mac!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MacFUSE: FUSE for the Mac!
Page 2 of 13 Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  Next Last Thread Tools
zarathos

2007-01-13, 11:47

Am I the only one getting this error whenever I try to mount a drive? I know my Windows system was shut down properly. My machine was running Vista before I switched (yay Hackintosh! ), but this particular drive was formatted a long while before under XP. I have tried using the "force" option, but that doesn't seem to make a difference either. Any ideas?

vengeance:/Volumes root# ntfs-3g /dev/disk1s2 /Volumes/"BACKUP" -o ping_diskarb,volname="BACKUP"
Failed to mount '/dev/disk1s2': Operation not supported
Mount is denied because NTFS is unclean. Choose one of these actions:
Boot Windows and shutdown it cleanly, or if you have a removable
device then click the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon in the Windows
taskbar notification area before disconnecting it.
Or
Run 'ntfsfix' on Linux unless you have Vista, then mount NTFS with
the 'force' option read-write, or with the 'ro' option read-only.
Or
Mount the NTFS volume with the 'ro' option in read-only mode.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-01-13, 11:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowOfGed View Post
No, I hadn't found that in my searching. I'll take a look at it later, but I've actually got to head out for now.

Thanks for the link!
Oh, and also, you can look into the ext2fsx project to see how he did it. It's largely for 10.3, but the .fs bundle stuff should be quite similar.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-01-13, 11:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarathos View Post
Am I the only one getting this error whenever I try to mount a drive? I know my Windows system was shut down properly. My machine was running Vista before I switched (yay Hackintosh! ), but this particular drive was formatted a long while before under XP. I have tried using the "force" option, but that doesn't seem to make a difference either. Any ideas?

vengeance:/Volumes root# ntfs-3g /dev/disk1s2 /Volumes/"BACKUP" -o ping_diskarb,volname="BACKUP"
Failed to mount '/dev/disk1s2': Operation not supported
Mount is denied because NTFS is unclean. Choose one of these actions:
Boot Windows and shutdown it cleanly, or if you have a removable
device then click the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon in the Windows
taskbar notification area before disconnecting it.
Or
Run 'ntfsfix' on Linux unless you have Vista, then mount NTFS with
the 'force' option read-write, or with the 'ro' option read-only.
Or
Mount the NTFS volume with the 'ro' option in read-only mode.
You'll probably have to mount it in Windows any and run chkdsk on it. Something's awry.
zarathos

2007-01-13, 11:54

Aww man, now I gotta install Windows again?!

Maybe I'll just leave it for now. Don't really need to write to the NTFS drives I have in there right now...ahh well, on to step 2 (SSHFS )
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2007-01-13, 12:13

Do you guys think this will become more user-friendly with the time ? Like double-click install and boom! (à la mr.Jobs)

Can we expect something totally integrated in a OSX future version. Maybe not 10.5 but why not on a 10.5.x ?

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
chucker

2007-01-13, 12:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmegatool View Post
Do you guys think this will become more user-friendly with the time ? Like double-click install and boom! (à la mr.Jobs)
Absolutely. No worries; people will work towards that.

Quote:
Can we expect something totally integrated in a OSX future version. Maybe not 10.5 but why not on a 10.5.x ?
That depends entirely on Apple, who appear currently unrelated to their project. It wouldn't be out of character of them to incorporate such an effort, however. But I think a 10.5 point release (10.5.x) may still be too early.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2007-01-13, 12:37

Little bit off-topic

I tried to gives you some rep points for that but it says "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to chucker again."

What the fuck ? I gave you to many points or what

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
chucker

2007-01-13, 12:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmegatool View Post
Little bit off-topic

I tried to gives you some rep points for that but it says "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to chucker again."

What the fuck ? I gave you to many points or what
No, it means you gave me one before and haven't given anyone else reputation since. If it's any consolation, I run into that problem a lot. And I do appreciate your effort. Might I suggest giving ShadowOfGed some? I was gonna do what he did, but he beat me to it (I preferred to get some sleep ), so he deserves credit.
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2007-01-13, 20:16

Perhaps it will appear in Mac OS X. It's a Google product, and Eric Schmidt at the MacWorld keynote was talking about how the internet allows collaboration between companies.

The sky was deep black; Jesus still loved me. I started down the alley, wailing in a ragged bass.
chucker

2007-01-13, 20:18

Well, it's a Google 20% time project. I wouldn't quite call it a product. That said, there sure is a chance it'll appear in Mac OS X sooner or later. I just don't think Schmidt's talk, or the company this was mainly developed at, has much bearing on such a decision.
ErBiC

2007-01-15, 00:14

So... what might be causing this? I used the binary packages posted on the first page, and they appeared to install properly. Trying to mount my NTFS bootcamp partition for read-write access.
Code:
erbic-computer:~ erbic$ sudo mkdir /Volumes/"Windows HD" erbic-computer:~ erbic$ sudo ntfs-3g /dev/disk0s3 /Volumes/"Windows HD" -o ping_diskarb,volname="Windows HD" sh: line1: modprobe: command not found kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/fusefs.kext loaded successfully fuse: failed to exec mount program: No such file or directory
The first two lines are what I type, the last four are what it spits back at me. I've tried the second line with or without sudo; without sudo I get an access denied error.
chucker

2007-01-15, 00:17

Code:
sudo ln -s /System/Library/Filesystems/fusefs.fs/mount_fusefs /usr/local/bin/mount_fusefs
should fix it.

Code:
sh: line1: modprobe: command not found
Is a bug with ntfs-3g; it's assuming Linux (modprobe is a Linux kernel-specific command to load a kernel mod; that's irrelevant on OS X, since its equivalent, kernel extensions, are loaded automatically on demand). Doesn't matter, just ignore it.

Code:
kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/fusefs.kext loaded successfully
Is the indication that, as described above, the relevant kernel extension has been loaded as needed. A similar notice appears in your logfiles, for instance, when you first mount an SMB share, because the smbfs kernel extension also only gets loaded on-demand. Nothing for you to worry about either.

Code:
fuse: failed to exec mount program: No such file or directory
Is the only actual problem. ShadowOfGed's installer should be amended to create a symlink; my line at the beginning of this post does this for you.
ErBiC

2007-01-15, 00:28

No joy. Did exactly what you said, and it came back saying the file already existed. So I used sudo rm to delete the mount_fusefs file which was already in /usr/local/bin/, and re-executed the command in your post. Tried to mount the disk again and it gave me the same error.

So any other solutions?

Last edited by ErBiC : 2007-01-15 at 01:57.
Hara Taiki

2007-01-15, 06:32

I am getting this error:

Code:
Magi:~ harataiki$ ntfs-3g /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/"Hara Taiki" -o ping_diskarb,volname="Hara Taiki" Error opening partition device: Permission denied Failed to startup volume: Permission denied Failed to mount '/dev/disk0s1': Permission denied Magi:~ harataiki$
Any help?

Also, my NTFS drive used to just be "Hara Taiki" before unmounting, now it says "Hara Taiki 1".

Any way to change it back?
chucker

2007-01-15, 06:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hara Taiki View Post
I am getting this error:

Code:
Magi:~ harataiki$ ntfs-3g /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/"Hara Taiki" -o ping_diskarb,volname="Hara Taiki" Error opening partition device: Permission denied Failed to startup volume: Permission denied Failed to mount '/dev/disk0s1': Permission denied Magi:~ harataiki$
Any help?
Code:
sudo chmod u+s /opt/local/bin/ntfs-3g
That should fix it.

Quote:
Also, my NTFS drive used to just be "Hara Taiki" before unmounting, now it says "Hara Taiki 1".

Any way to change it back?
That should go away after a reboot.
Hara Taiki

2007-01-15, 07:08

Ok, that worked for that part.

Now I get this:
Code:
Magi:~ harataiki$ ntfs-3g /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/"Hara Taiki" -o ping_diskarb,volname="Hara Taiki" kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/fusefs.kext loaded successfully fuse: failed to exec mount program: No such file or directory Magi:~ harataiki$ disktool -r Refreshing Disk Arbitration ... Magi:~ harataiki$ ntfs-3g /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/"Hara Taiki" -o ping_diskarb,volname="Hara Taiki" fuse: failed to exec mount program: No such file or directory
Anymore help?
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-01-15, 15:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Is the only actual problem. ShadowOfGed's installer should be amended to create a symlink; my line at the beginning of this post does this for you.
The installer already creates a symlink for mount_fusefs in /usr/local/bin. I've updated the installer packages a little, so here are the new bits:

MacFUSE:
  • Updated installation scripts to be more robust regarding the loading and unloading of fusefs.kext.
NTFS-3g:
  • Patched NTFS-3g to remove modprobe warnings
  • Included a Universal build of ntfsprogs
  • Formatting support, via mkntfs
  • Rudimentary consistency checking, via ntfsfix
  • Relabeling support, via ntfslabel
  • All the other features provided by the ntfsprogs suite.
And with that out of the way, here are the new packages:Enjoy!

Apparently I call the cops when I see people litter.
ErBiC

2007-01-15, 16:14

Something's wrong with your new NTFS-3g package. The installer goes fine until you actually click "Install", then errors out with "You cannot continue. There is nothing to install."
Hara Taiki

2007-01-15, 16:15

Ok, I updated and tried the same command again. Now I get this:

Code:
Magi:~ harataiki$ ntfs-3g /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/"Hara Taiki" -o ping_diskarb,volname="Hara Taiki" fusefs file system is not availableFailed to create FUSE mount point: No such file or directory Retry to create FUSE mount point ... fusefs file system is not availableFailed to create FUSE mount point: No such file or directory Failed to open /proc/filesystems: No such file or directory Unmounting /dev/disk0s1 (Hara Taiki)
>_<

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErBiC"
Something's wrong with your new NTFS-3g package. The installer goes fine until you actually click "Install", then errors out with "You cannot continue. There is nothing to install."
I installed using Pacifist.
ErBiC

2007-01-15, 16:29

OK, Pacifist let me install the new NTFS-3g package.

But.

It's still yelling at me about how the mount program doesn't exist every time I try to mount a disk. I've re-created the symlink manually several times, with absolutely no effect. Does MacFUSE just hate my computer or something?
chucker

2007-01-15, 16:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErBiC View Post
OK, Pacifist let me install the new NTFS-3g package.

But.

It's still yelling at me about how the mount program doesn't exist every time I try to mount a disk. I've re-created the symlink manually several times, with absolutely no effect. Does MacFUSE just hate my computer or something?
What do you get for
Code:
which mount_fusefs
? You should get the path, like "/usr/local/bin/mount_fusefs". If not, that's where the problem lies.
chucker

2007-01-15, 17:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowOfGed View Post
  • Patched NTFS-3g to remove modprobe warnings
Yeah, I was gonna suggest that. Just a few lines to remove.

Quote:
  • Included a Universal build of ntfsprogs
  • Formatting support, via mkntfs
  • Rudimentary consistency checking, via ntfsfix
  • Relabeling support, via ntfslabel
  • All the other features provided by the ntfsprogs suite.
Hmm.

Renaming does indeed seem to work. I don't see ntfslabel actually being launched, though; perhaps 'watch -n0' isn't fast enough to catch it. How does Disk Arbitration know to call that utility? You don't create a file system bundle, after all. Just wondering how this works.

As for mkntfs and ntfsfix, that's useful on the command-line, I suppose, but without a file system bundle, neither can be integrated with Disk Utility, right? Also, if I'm not mistaken, all ntfsfix does is schedule a file system for checking upon next reboot in Windows?
Hara Taiki

2007-01-15, 18:32

Ok, well, there is still this:

Quote:
Code:
Magi:~ harataiki$ ntfs-3g /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/"Hara Taiki" -o ping_diskarb,volname="Hara Taiki" kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/fusefs.kext loaded successfully fuse: failed to exec mount program: No such file or directory Magi:~ harataiki$ disktool -r Refreshing Disk Arbitration ... Magi:~ harataiki$ ntfs-3g /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/"Hara Taiki" -o ping_diskarb,volname="Hara Taiki" fuse: failed to exec mount program: No such file or directory
And then using:
Code:
which mount_fusefs
gave me this:

Code:
no mount_dusefs in /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin
Is that correct? And what should be done to fix this?
chucker

2007-01-15, 18:40

Do the following two:

Code:
sudo ln -s /usr/local/bin/ntfs-3g /usr/bin/ntfs-3g sudo ln -s /System/Library/Filesystems/fusefs.fs/mount_fusefs /usr/bin/mount_fusefs
You could also add /usr/local/bin to your $PATH as described in the second solution at http://forums.applenova.com/showpost...6&postcount=26
Hara Taiki

2007-01-15, 18:54

Ok, after doing that and the instructions you links to, I am still having issues.

Now it's down to just this:
Code:
Magi:~ harataiki$ ntfs-3g /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/"Hara Taiki" -o ping_diskarb,volname="Hara Taiki" mount_fusefs: /Volumes/Hara Taiki: No such file or directory
Close... so close...
chucker

2007-01-15, 18:58

You need to create the mountpoint first, like:
Code:
sudo mkdir /Volumes/"Hara Taiki"
Note that, when you unmount, OS X will delete the mountpoint. So each time you mount, you'll want to do:
Code:
sudo mkdir /Volumes/"Hara Taiki" && ntfs-3g /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/"Hara Taiki" -o ping_diskarb,volname="Hara Taiki"
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-01-15, 19:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErBiC View Post
Oh, right.

Sometimes I do stupid things. I changed the package identifier to match that of filesystems, so it's now org.ntfs-3g.filesystems.ntfs. In order to make this problem go away, do the following before you install:

Code:
sudo rm -rf /Library/Receipts/NTFS-3g.pkg
I forgot to mention that change. Sorry about that!

Apparently I call the cops when I see people litter.

Last edited by ShadowOfGed : 2007-01-15 at 19:40. Reason: Rewording
chucker

2007-01-15, 19:43

Oh, also, the Mac convention appears to be newfs_ntfs, not mkfs.ntfs.
Hara Taiki

2007-01-15, 20:10

Ok, that worked this time, thank you!

Can I change the default icon?
chucker

2007-01-15, 20:14

Quote:
Ok, that worked this time, thank you!

Can I change the default icon?
Sure, you can just paste any icon onto it. It'll get stored in a hidden file named .VolumeIcon.icns on that partition.

Just do this in Finder:
1) Get Info on anything that has the icon you want.
2) Select the icon in the top left of the Get Info window. It should have a focus ring.
3) Copy.

4) Get Info on the NTFS partition.
5) Select the icon in the top left of the Get Info window. It should have a focus ring.
6) Paste to replace.

It should take effect immediately. To undo, you simply hit the backspace key.

Easy as pie.