Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

MacBook Pro, Dashboard Client Crash Weirdness

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MacBook Pro, Dashboard Client Crash Weirdness
zsummers
Avast!

2007-03-07, 22:28

So I'm running a brand new MBP, 2.16 GHz, 1 GB RAM (for now), 120 GB HD. All software updates are current (so I'm on 10.4.8). And I was on a recent (3 hours before) restart of my computer.

Recently, while I had Safari, MS Word, iChat, iCal, iTunes, and Preview open, the fans revved up. Over time, the revved completely up and stayed there. After about 15-20 minutes, I closed everything but MS Word. The fans continued on high. I thought maybe it was due to MS Word running off of Rosetta and the fact that I had a large Word doc open. But even after I closed down Word and waited a few minutes, the fans were humming. I opened the Activities Monitor and saw that 3 different processes called "Dashboard Client" (at least, that's what I believe they were called, they were cut off and I didn't expand the column) were running, each eating about 33% CPU. As I shut each down, the next would increase, so that even when I had quit two of them, the last was using around 98% CPU (I didn't check memory use, etc.). After I shut them down, I flipped open Dashboard (which I use a hotcorner for) and it appeared to perhaps be restarting (although I'm not entirely sure). Subsequently, I checked the crash log in Console, and it registers a crash for "Dashboard Client." Everything has been fine since quiting the 3 processes.

So what's up? I was running Dashboard at the time with about 10 widgets, all pulled off the Apple site, and all but one (a free text-message sender) that I have run on my old PowerBook and iMac for years. When I quit the "Dashboard Client" process, all of the widget processes appeared to continue to run. Any thoughts on what went wrong or anything I can do to avoid it in the future? Any information I can capture to help diagnose it if it happens again?

For more info, earlier in the night, I had been pulling files off my old HD from an external enclosure I had put it in, and had also been recovering some files from the same (with a differnet HD) for a friend. I have also recently installed Quicksilver, Stuffit Expander, and Disk Warrior (for the recovery).

Any thoughts? Is this something I should be worried about? Or just a fluke?