Page 3 of 8 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  Next Last Thread Tools
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-08-02, 09:36

Happy Mac is back :-)

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/01/...e-personality/
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2011-08-02, 09:48

Bit disappointed about the jab at Chrome.
arteggio

2011-08-02, 10:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Bit disappointed about the jab at Chrome.
That omission is odd, considering it does work in Chrome.

As for iDisk: although I know as little as anyone, I've been under the impression that drag-and-drop storage will be returning. To possibly support this, there is a currently unusable server in the Finder Network of iCloud users, coming up as something like '[numbers].bt.mm.icloud'.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2011-08-02, 10:34

The cookies one is my favorite.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2011-08-02, 10:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by arteggio View Post
That omission is odd, considering it does work in Chrome.

As for iDisk: although I know as little as anyone, I've been under the impression that drag-and-drop storage will be returning. To possibly support this, there is a currently unusable server in the Finder Network of iCloud users, coming up as something like '[numbers].bt.mm.icloud'.
I think "btmm" is short for "Back to my Mac", and won't feature the iCloud server, but rather other Macs logged in to the same iCloud account.

(Incidentally, if someone knows how to get Back to my Mac to work, I'd be curious. I can't find a working hostname. Neither the old scheme <hostname>.<username*>.members.me.com nor <hostname>.<user ID>.members.btmm.icloud.com resolves.

*) You can get a username by enabling iCloud Mail.)
kscherer
Which way is up?

2011-08-02, 11:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
Gotta love it. The attention to detail* is the bomb.

*Let's just hope that same attention was actually put into the functionality!
chucker

2011-08-02, 12:00

Anyone wanna take a guess how soon they'll grow tired of linen?
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2011-08-02, 12:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Anyone wanna take a guess how soon they'll grow tired of linen?
I grew tired of linen years ago. Creases too easily.
nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2011-08-02, 16:25

I like these cute new pages/pictures! They are kind of old school Apple, where things were a little fun as well as functional.

Although on the other hand i rapidly need to find a new host for my iWeb, which is disappointing as it seems iCloud won't continue that on once i change over.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2011-08-03, 09:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikstar101 View Post
…i rapidly need to find a new host for my iWeb…
I've been using these guys for years. Always been happy with them.
nikstar101
Veteran Member

2011-08-03, 10:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Cool. Cheers for that looks a pretty good little site going on there (with the additional bonus of being Mac people!). I did look at squarespace.com too, but they were rather more expensive.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-08-03, 10:21

I'm now a fan of a hosting company in particular, but I would recommend you find one with a data center close to where most of your traffic is going to be from. I see it all the time now where someone in the UK is upset that page loads are slow with a datacenter in the East Coast of the US.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
nikstar101
Veteran Member

2011-08-03, 17:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I'm now a fan of a hosting company in particular, but I would recommend you find one with a data center close to where most of your traffic is going to be from. I see it all the time now where someone in the UK is upset that page loads are slow with a datacenter in the East Coast of the US.
Good point. I think I got attracted buy all the Gucci features that some of the US hosts have
Might just go with a plain simple Wordpress setup and just see how it goes....
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2011-08-03, 18:49

For those on the US East Coast, I'be been with pair.com for well over a decade now. They've grown tremendously. But they're still competitive enough that I haven't bothered to go somewhere else.

With that said, I like nikstar101's consideration of a "plain simple Wordpress setup." In the day and age of Facebook and Google+, a vanity domain is just too much work. I've been hand-coding HTML for 15+ years, and I really don't have the time and interest anymore. Sooner or later, my personal domain will just redirect to my FB and LinkedIn pages.

I mean, really? Wouldn't we all be better off without "look-at-me-i-had-bad-coffee-for-breakfast-and-then-went-on-the-bus.com"?

Kind of like the late blowthedotoutyourass.com. RIP.

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2011-08-03, 18:52

PS: And with their server farms spreading all over the world, Facebook, Google+, Wordpress, and soon iCloud will address turtle's recommendation of having a host that is geographically close to your visitors.

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2011-08-03, 18:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Thanks for that, I'll be checking them out.
nikstar101
Veteran Member

2011-08-07, 08:28

Well good news, of sorts, it seems that we will be able to keep our iWeb sites until 30th June 2012 even if you do change your MobileMe account to an iCloud one. I am not sure if I was the only one who thought that they would go as soon as you migrated to iCloud but this has cleared it up (for the thickos like me ).

http://www.apple.com/mobileme/transition.html

Also it looks like existing MobileMe users will get an extra 20GBs free for a year. I think it would have been nice for a bit more free stuff after god knows how many years to paying for MobileMe, but then again its better than nothing and more than i expected.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/06/...-for-1st-year/
chucker

2011-08-30, 01:07

For BU:
Quote:
What wasn't clear before is the fact that music can be either streamed or downloaded locally to any of your computers or devices.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-09-17, 10:53

I can't remember if I've asked this already, but when (or do) we get to check and see if certain e-mail addresses are available for this?

For that matter, what will the e-mail suffixes be? @me.com? Or @cloud.com?

As a current MobileMe user, I'm all set. Nothing will change.

But my friend and a few others (my sister, uncle, Mom, etc.) are either on Hotmail or Comcast POP and I'd like to try and get them to this new thing with the IMAP mail, etc. Ideally they could all retain their current usernames and so it's not a huge adjustment for them (or others they know to simply change the last part of their e-mail address in their address books).

I'd go and reserve about 3-4 iCloud e-mails today if I could...
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2011-09-17, 13:44

It will be @me.com.

The only way to see if they're available is to attempt to sign up for a new account, though you can't do that unless you've been given access to do so (Developer beta, etc).

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-10-09, 11:04

Is iCloud going to include re-downloads of purchased movies sometime in the future too?
chucker

2011-10-09, 11:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
Is iCloud going to include re-downloads of purchased movies sometime in the future too?
Could be some weird content deal stipulation. That, or they're too worried about bandwidth right now.
Lyngo

2011-10-12, 06:27

Question re: iCloud. I use iWeb and 'MobileMe' for hosting. I've been looking for answers to this all over the web only to find none.

If I turn on my iCloud account, do I lose my MobileMe account? I know MobileMe is scheduled to be turned off in June 2012, but I don't want to lose my website in the meantime until I find new hosting somewhere. Make sense? Can anyone help me with this endeavor? I want to experience the new iCloud without sacrificing my website until I get new hosting somewhere.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2011-10-12, 09:53

As far as I can tell you cannot use both services.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2011-10-12, 09:57

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a free iCloud "version" for simple things like calendar and contacts, or am I making things up again in my head?

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
zippy
Veteran Member

2011-10-12, 10:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a free iCloud "version" for simple things like calendar and contacts, or am I making things up again in my head?
All of iCloud is free except for iTunes Match. So Mail, Calendar, Contacts, Photo Stream, cloud sync are all free. If you want Apple to store your non-iTunes purchased music in the cloud, via iTunes Match, then you can pay $24.99 per year for that service.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-10-12, 10:34

My worry with iCloud is what it will do to older computers with respect to syncing. My hackintosh is probably not going to make the leap to Lion and I don't want to lose the ability to sync to it. Will there be an iCloud release for Snow Leopard?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-10-12, 10:42

Don't know if this has been posted inhere or not yet, but iCloud is open for all now.

I've not been able to get it configured to my Mac yet though it says I need Lion. I'm guessing there's a software update in the near future to address this. Obviously my iPad is waiting on iOS 5. There is a link to the setup page, but the link is broken as of right now.

Here's the error you get trying to access anything other than Find My iPhone:

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2011-10-12, 10:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Don't know if this has been posted inhere or not yet, but iCloud is open for all now.

I've not been able to get it configured to my Mac yet though it says I need Lion. I'm guessing there's a software update in the near future to address this. Obviously my iPad is waiting on iOS 5. There is a link to the setup page, but the link is broken as of right now.

Here's the error you get trying to access anything other than Find My iPhone:
I just came here to say this. I wasn't able to get in either.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-10-12, 11:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
My worry with iCloud is what it will do to older computers with respect to syncing. My hackintosh is probably not going to make the leap to Lion and I don't want to lose the ability to sync to it. Will there be an iCloud release for Snow Leopard?
I'd love to know the answer to this, or even some clarification on what parts actually require Lion. Presumably email will continue to work without Lion. After all, it's just standard IMAP/SMTP right? The music features seem tied to versions of iTunes and iOS instead of Mac OS X. The various other former-MobileMe syncing features (bookmarks, calendars, contacts) I could see disappearing from Snow Leopard, even though calendars should just be standard CalDAV.

*shrug*

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.