User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

USB Joystick: GamePad Companion, or USB Overdrive?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
USB Joystick: GamePad Companion, or USB Overdrive?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-09-25, 01:34

I have an old Saitek USB Gold joystick I'd like to start using again, and it looks like I have two options:

1) GamePad Companion. Never heard of it, but it's the one linked to by Saitek.

2) USB Overdrive. Used it under OS9, liked it a lot, glad to see it's around. Installed it, and... it put the damned kext in /System. GRR. That right there makes me want to uninstall it.

Any recommendations or comments?
rasmits
rams it

2005-09-25, 02:44

I'm afraid gamepad companion does the same thing USB Overdrive does. It installs a pref. pane.

In my opinion, they both work about the same. Go with what ever is cheaper.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-09-25, 12:54

GamePad Companion installs a preference pane in /Library/PreferencePanes. That is correct.

USB Overdrive installs an extension in /System/Library/Extensions. That is wrong. It should go in /Library/Extensions, unless there's some technical detail I don't know about that he's trying to work around - it's the wrong place. Period.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-09-25, 12:57

Why don't you email the dev and see what he has to say? My impression of the USB Overdrive dev has always been a good dev.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-09-25, 13:12

Good idea, done.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-09-25, 13:31

If it works, what makes it wrong? Just curious.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-09-25, 13:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
If it works, what makes it wrong? Just curious.
/System is Apple-only. Period. If you do a safe-boot (hold down Shift), it ignores anything outside of there to ensure you can always boot with a plain vanilla installation. But... if a vendor plops something in there, that bypasses safe-boot, and you can run into problems. If *their* extension is the buggy one, for instance, you won't boot cleanly.

Also, it makes back ups harder - if no one but Apple ever installs into /System, then you can completely ignore it for backing up your machine. If someone does throw something in there, then you have to track it.

It's clearly laid out in the guidelines for Mac development, and there are good solid reasons. This is why even Admins aren't allowed to muck around in /System without extra authorization.

Third parties are supposed to install their additions in the proper matching folder in /Library, and they'll get picked up by the system as required.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-09-25, 13:59

Makes sense. But answer me this, is it wrong that the mere mention of gamepads and USB overdrive has me digging through my closet to find my estranged gamepads for a whomping round of super mario world?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-09-25, 14:04

Yes.

I'm going to try Gamepad Companion. If it works as well, then I'll go with that strictly on techno-philosophical grounds.