Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Prometheus

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Prometheus
Page 1 of 4 [1] 2 3 4  Next Thread Tools
¡Damned!

2012-03-20, 01:18

The movie. The maybe not prequel but sure as hell looks like it with the space jockey movie.

The movie I cannot be more excited about.

Seriously. Alien is my second most perfect movie of all time. I don't take this shit lightly.

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/fox/prometheus/

So it goes.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2012-03-20, 02:10

Looking good, though I am always a sucker for dramatic music in trailers (think Blur in Starship Troopers! ). Just hope they haven't given the story line away in the most recent trailer.

As for Alien, a masterpiece of movie making. Even Aliens which had to evolve due to not being able to have a "big reveal" ending of the alien, was a great piece of story telling. Pity the franchise slid into a big pile of shit.

Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress
¡Damned!

2012-03-20, 13:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ω_ View Post
Looking good, though I am always a sucker for dramatic music in trailers (think Blur in Starship Troopers! ).
I think that BRAAAHMM may be the most utilized sound this season for indicating some sort of drama in trailers. Thanks Inception!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-03-20, 13:24

It looks good. I like how Ridley Scott is being so coy about it all. "It is, but it isn't. It's in the same universe, but it's not a prequel. But here's this ship and this being, but it's not related to that 1979 movie, etc."

Oh, and Ms. Rapace...le rawwrrr.
¡Damned!

2012-03-20, 13:28

Quote:
Just hope they haven't given the story line away in the most recent trailer.
It does give a lot more than the previous trailer, but I don't think it gives away too much. There's a parasite of some sort, obviously, like Alien, but I'm super intrigued if the space jockey race initiated that somehow (given the rows of canisters in the ship ala Alien) or if they were just collectors. Plus, it looks like we'll get to see some sort of transformation instead of the parasite using a body as a host. I'm super geeked.

Quote:
As for Alien, a masterpiece of movie making. Even Aliens which had to evolve due to not being able to have a "big reveal" ending of the alien, was a great piece of story telling. Pity the franchise slid into a big pile of shit.
Eh. I love Alien 3 (yes, I'll admit it) except for the cobbled-together ending. The director's cut is much, much better though. I consider that the real movie. Alien 4..... well, she really did make that basketball shot! If the camera had pulled back we would've seen it.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2012-03-20, 13:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
It looks good. I like how Ridley Scott is being so coy about it all. "It is, but it isn't. It's in the same universe, but it's not a prequel. But here's this ship and this being, but it's not related to that 1979 movie, etc."
Even if it is, I feel like that's how PR should be done. Nowadays it seems like trailers give so much away... like I just saw the CliffsNotes version and now have no reason to see it. I truly miss the days of going into a movie knowing only what I read from the poster.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2012-03-20, 13:39

Plus, Idris is doing a southern accent!

I love Idris Elba. If any of you have never watched Luther, watch it. Now. It is fantastic. Plus, you know, The Wire.

So it goes.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2012-03-20, 13:58

Quote:
Oh, and Ms. Rapace...le rawwrrr.
From middleaged sweedish men to aliens. She doesn't seem to have a normal-mode.

Anyways, I'm definitely going to see this one. I'd probably loose all your moviegoers creds if I didn't. Oh, and screw The Artist.

addabox
Veteran Member

2012-03-20, 14:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I think that BRAAAHMM may be the most utilized sound this season for indicating some sort of drama in trailers. Thanks Inception!
Man, ain't that the truth?
addabox
Veteran Member

2012-03-20, 14:20

I'm totally jazzed about this movie as well, but judging from the trailers (and this kind of thing is subtle so I might be wrong) this movie is going to lack any of Alien's lived in, just a bunch of space cowboys hanging out vibe.

To me that was one of the revelatory things about Alien-- it was one of the first space movies I can recall where the interiors looked worn and the cast acted like people. I think that alone accounted for a lot of the film's impact. For instance, the horror of the first chest burster scene was vastly enhanced by the easy, almost improvisatory style of the meal scene just preceding it. The contrast was such a gut punch, like something insanely grotesque going down at brunch with friends.

Now, obviously, this is a different movie, and arguably a scientific vessel isn't going to have the same space truck feel as the Nostromo. But I feel like the nature of big budget sci-fi has changed for the worse since Alien-- everything is glossier and more seamless and calculated. Maybe it has something to do with CG vs. sets and models, maybe it's just modern taste. It's the difference to listening to a recording that sounds like some people playing music together in a room and your current typical wall to wall production which sounds like a designed thing having no relationship to acoustics as we encounter them in the world.

Not to say this won't be a hugely entertaining or even great movie. But I suspect Ridley doesn't even remember how, much less cares about, creating the sense of space and pacing and verisimilitude that made Alien such a treat. Hope I'm wrong.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-03-20, 15:05

His toolbox has certainly expanded in 33 years. It looks great, but I, too, remember my first viewing of Alien, and how it looked and felt, compared to so many other movies in that genre. Naturally, I didn't see it upon release (at 10 or so, as I wasn't allowed). But I caught it a few years later on HBO and loved it.

Actually, I had read the Mad magazine parody on it, so I already knew the basic storyline and what to expect. In fact, that constituted much of my 70's and 80's moviegoing...I almost always read the Mad take on these things before I was ever old enough to see/appreciate the real thing (The Exorcist, Dog Day Afternoon, The French Connection, etc.). It might have colored my view of them, upon finally seeing them for real...

I'll be seeing Prometheus, simply because I'm curious and it looks like something I'd enjoy. And even with the loosest grip on the Alien universe, that's enough to pull me in. I think we're going to learn exactly what happened/why in that scene from Alien when they find that pilot with the blown-out chest. So it's obviously connected, and parts of the trailer clearly show it. I don't think we'll be seeing the classic Geiger "alien" creatures, but I think everything will point to the events of the '79 movie, and how it unfolded. In fact, in this trailer, you see what looks to be one of those Geiger aliens on that carved wall. You have to pause the trailer, but tell me that's not one of those things...

Pause the trailer at 1:35...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2012-03-20 at 15:15.
¡Damned!

2012-03-20, 17:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post
I'm totally jazzed about this movie as well, but judging from the trailers (and this kind of thing is subtle so I might be wrong) this movie is going to lack any of Alien's lived in, just a bunch of space cowboys hanging out vibe.

To me that was one of the revelatory things about Alien-- it was one of the first space movies I can recall where the interiors looked worn and the cast acted like people. I think that alone accounted for a lot of the film's impact. For instance, the horror of the first chest burster scene was vastly enhanced by the easy, almost improvisatory style of the meal scene just preceding it. The contrast was such a gut punch, like something insanely grotesque going down at brunch with friends.
I totally agree. The genius behind Alien was that it portrayed working on a spaceship as a real job. Like, a job job. But they're on a spaceship! It must be awesome! No, they're just towing shit in space and the crew members argue about payment and bitch about having to stop to check out some stupid beacon - and they wouldn't get paid if they didn't because of a clause in their contract. That's the most overlooked part of the film, imo, and this was made in '79! Truly forward looking.

Reminds me of a scene from Firefly (nearly 30 years later) where Wash says something like "sounds like science fiction" and Zoe says "you live on a spaceship, dear." His reply: "So?"

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2012-03-20 at 17:21.
addabox
Veteran Member

2012-03-20, 23:19

Quote:
I totally agree. The genius behind Alien was that it portrayed working on a spaceship as a real job. Like, a job job. But they're on a spaceship! It must be awesome! No, they're just towing shit in space and the crew members argue about payment and bitch about having to stop to check out some stupid beacon - and they wouldn't get paid if they didn't because of a clause in their contract. That's the most overlooked part of the film, imo, and this was made in '79! Truly forward looking.

Reminds me of a scene from Firefly (nearly 30 years later) where Wash says something like "sounds like science fiction" and Zoe says "you live on a spaceship, dear." His reply: "So?"
It's funny you should mention the Firefly thing, because when I remarked in my previous post about the chest burster scene, I thought about a scene in Firefly (don't remember which episode) where they're all just having a meal and shooting the shit and the camera's moving easily around them and it's just such a great sequence of establishing the familial relationships of the crew. That the "firefly"-- the light in the darkness-- is them, the people in the ship and how they care for one another (which is of course one of Whedon's presiding themes).

Used to drastically different ends, of course, but it's so rare that a sci-fi piece takes the trouble of establishing the humanity of its characters by showing them acting in recognizably human ways.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2012-03-21, 01:16

I'm sorry in advance.

Oh no! Promutheus!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcReu_d9h4o
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2012-03-21, 02:11

Quote:
Eh. I love Alien 3 (yes, I'll admit it) except for the cobbled-together ending. The director's cut is much, much better though. I consider that the real movie. Alien 4..... well, she really did make that basketball shot! If the camera had pulled back we would've seen it.
I also didn't mind 3, but to me wasn't in the same league as the first two.

Off to 1:35....
hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2012-03-21, 03:58

https://www.weylandindustries.com/

Nice TED talk Peter
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-05-24, 14:29

I didn't see this trailer until the last few weeks and my first reaction, not hearing the Ridley Scott part was "I liked that movie better the first time when it was called Alien". Derrr!

It's obviously a prequel regardless of what people might say in advance interviews (to stir online buzz). So many parallels and familiar icons (the horseshoe-shaped ship, the "queen driver" of the ship, the pods, the whole thing. This is a prequel. That said, now that I know it's a prequel and not a horrible ripoff by another director, I am more inclined to pay to watch it.

Hollywood has gone so far off reservation with all their BS formulaic movies and remakes... for every Cohen brothers masterpiece you get literally 15 pieces of crap that are remakes of television shows (Green Hornet, Shaft, Dukes of Hazard, Scooby Fucking Doo, Transformers... ad infinitum), or just plotless pieces of crap built around 3D animation or special effects (John Carter, the 18 movies that ripped off LoTR, etc)... so I wasn't about to go see an Alien ripoff. However if the story is connected and done by the originator, I'm all for it.

I get that Hollywood makes movies for kids and teenagers too and that's cool. But there's a difference between "made for teens" and "completely without vision or originality".

...into the light of a dark black night.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-05-30, 16:32

It's opened in France and some other places, and will continue to roll out internationally for the next week.

So our man on the scene in Paris, Dorian Gray...have you seen it? You could be among the first 'Novans to share.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-05-30, 19:10

Must resist urge... to go on Day 1. Actually is late enough too that lots of kids will be out of school so there's no "see it in the afternoon" benefit.

Seems it's only in 3D at my local theatre. Is there a 2D version?

Last edited by Moogs : 2012-05-30 at 19:22.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-05-30, 19:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Seems it's only in 3D at my local theatre. Is there a 2D version?
Nooooooooooo. Say it ain't so.

I guess I might be waiting on Netflix for this one after all.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-05-30, 20:09

Well, I don't know if it's so. It's only so at my local theatre which occasionally plays one movie on 2 or 3 screens (like LoTR, Harry Potter etc) but I don't think this would qualify so I can't say if there are other versions. I'll check another theatre about 30 miles away that has like 26 screens. If there's 2D they'll have it.

[Uh oh. All I see is 3D and IMAX 3D. Well, I toughed it out for Avatar. Guess I might do it for this. Begrudgingly. ]

drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-05-31, 00:33

May you NEVER witness the terrible commercial that Coors is running to promote their sponsorship of this film. Clumsy hardly begins to describe it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-05-31, 11:08

Off to search for it now...

Does it show Noomi Rapace pouring some on her own tummy, by chance?
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2012-05-31, 15:07

I read a spoiler free review the other day from a French guy. Essence was that the movie had a few minor items that you might not like, but you won't give a flying fuck because it's excellent and terrifying.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2012-05-31, 15:41

Back off! Lisbeth...err Noomi is MINE!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-05-31, 18:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
May you NEVER witness the terrible commercial that Coors is running to promote their sponsorship of this film. Clumsy hardly begins to describe it.
Seen it a couple times during NHL playoffs. It is an atrocity / an affront to creative man.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2012-06-01, 02:25

Quote:
So our man on the scene in Paris, Dorian Gray...have you seen it? You could be among the first 'Novans to share.
Your man in Paris doesn't do science fiction, alas. I know that sounds dismissive, but I wouldn't even know where to start with the genre, films and books alike. It takes years of investment to reach the knowledge level on display in these forums!

Wes Anderson's latest has a better chance of getting me to the cinema, though who knows if I'll like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
It is an atrocity / an affront to creative man.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-06-02, 15:42

I'm in the same boat, really. I only have an interest in the original Star Wars trilogy and, to a much, much lesser degree, the subject of this movie. In fact, if this wasn't Ridley Scott returning to this old stomping ground, I wouldn't be seeing this. But I've seen all the other Alien flicks and, right or wrong, I'm lumping this in with them...

But, yeah...Star Trek (all of them...movies, TV shows, spin-offs, etc.) escaped me, as do all the shows like Firefly, Dollhouse(?) and the whole sci-fi/fantasy thing in general. I never saw Avatar (never even wanted to), and I just don't really follow the genre. I was never into space/sci-fi...just Star Wars (the same way that I gently correct people who say I'm "into computers"...no I'm not. Just Macs. There's a difference).

I'll see Prometheus next week, The Dark Knight Rises on its opening weekend and that's probably about it for this summer. I'd like to see the new 007 movie this fall/winter, along with the Tarantino western, Django Unchained, currently being filmed. But it's looking like I'm going to get out of 2012 with no more than six visits to the multiplex.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2012-06-02, 17:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
I read a spoiler free review the other day from a French guy. Essence was that the movie had a few minor items that you might not like, but you won't give a flying fuck because it's excellent and terrifying.
I've seen it. The minor issues are certainly present. The script is hackneyed, for instance, and there are cases of bad acting and scenes that don't quite end (or have much of a point -- take for instance a scene about a self administered severe medical procedure to remove a foreign object).

I also don't think it adds anything to either the Alien universe, nor for that matter does it justify its existence.

Honestly the only *good* thing about the film is that the 3d isn't terribly invasive.

I have to say as well that the movie wasn't terrifying... not in the least because the characters aren't terrified. There's not one thing specific killing them. No real challenges that they face -- all are sort of self-imposed. Hell even the origin story within the origin story is just dumb.

So count me as a very very disappointed meh vote.
Eugene
careful with axes

2012-06-02, 17:39

Quote:
But, yeah...Star Trek (all of them...movies, TV shows, spin-offs, etc.) escaped me, as do all the shows like Firefly, Dollhouse(?) and the whole sci-fi/fantasy thing in general. I never saw Avatar (never even wanted to), and I just don't really follow the genre. I was never into space/sci-fi...just Star Wars (the same way that I gently correct people who say I'm "into computers"...no I'm not. Just Macs. There's a difference).
A lot of shows such as Firefly are only Sci-Fi in terms of setting/backdrop. I actually never watched Firefly when it was on FOX because its Western theme didn't appeal to me...Only after my friends forced me to watch it did I realize who much I liked it. It has a very good mix of comedy, action, clever dialogue and camp that cookie-cutter network TV rarely offers.

BSG (Reimagined) is another example of a show where people can appreciate the non Sci-Fi aspects. It was just a great product altogether.

And Star Trek? At least TOS and to some extent the TNG era weren't just about space+aliens. Sci-Fi personalities like Roddenberry and Hubbard were philosophers and visionaries...and while friends they were often at odds. Think of it as a modern version of the relationship Tolkien and C.S. Lewis shared. They used their writing to express their own thoughts on the world around them.

This is in very stark contrast to someone like George Lucas whose contributions are mostly technical (THX/Dolby Surround/ILM) and franchise driven.

Last edited by Eugene : 2012-06-02 at 17:51.