Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

MacFUSE: FUSE for the Mac!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MacFUSE: FUSE for the Mac!
Page 3 of 13 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  Next Last Thread Tools
Hara Taiki

2007-01-15, 20:41

Woohoo, thank you! Full Read/Write is awesome. You guys have done something incredible!
ErBiC

2007-01-15, 21:37

Well, chucker, you told me to type this:

Code:
sudo ln -s /System/Library/Filesystems/fusefs.fs/mount_fusefs /usr/local/bin/mount_fusefs
But you told Hara Taiki to type this:

Code:
sudo ln -s /System/Library/Filesystems/fusefs.fs/mount_fusefs /usr/bin/mount_fusefs
Incidentally, the second one finally worked for me. Apparently creating the symlink to /usr/bin instead of /usr/local/bin is the correct way to go. Thanks for the help, even if it wasn't directed specifically toward me. I finally have read-write access to my Boot Camp partition.

Seems kind of odd that Mac OS treats it like a network volume. Everything works fine, though.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-01-15, 21:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErBiC View Post
Well, chucker, you told me to type this:

Code:
sudo ln -s /System/Library/Filesystems/fusefs.fs/mount_fusefs /usr/local/bin/mount_fusefs
But you told Hara Taiki to type this:

Code:
sudo ln -s /System/Library/Filesystems/fusefs.fs/mount_fusefs /usr/bin/mount_fusefs
Yep. I keep overlooking that, by default, /usr/local/bin isn't in OS X's $PATH.

Quote:
Incidentally, the second one finally worked for me. Apparently creating the symlink to /usr/bin instead of /usr/local/bin is the correct way to go.
Or adding /usr/local/bin to the $PATH, as described elsewhere.

Quote:
Thanks for the help, even if it wasn't directed specifically toward me. I finally have read-write access to my Boot Camp partition.

Seems kind of odd that Mac OS treats it like a network volume. Everything works fine, though.

Glad it's working for you, and you're very welcome.

As for treating it as a network volume, this is a MacFUSE-specific decision; I'm not actually sure what drove Amit Singh to do that. Presumably, it affords a greater flexibility than local volumes do.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-01-16, 01:21

So I tried out mkntfs to create a new NTFS file system. It generally works, but there's a gotcha. Maybe this is GPT-specific, but it seems Disk Arbitration isn't pinged properly. First, Disk Utility sees a FAT32 partition, then a FAT12 one, … it's basically acting up.
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-01-16, 02:02

Yeah, the proper way to do that (and probably get the GPT updated) would be to do it through diskutil, because the filesystem bundle format has keys, under FSPersonalities, for FSFormatCommand and friends. Unfortunately, I know nothing of how these tools work on the inside, so all of my attempts to get it working are really just stabs in the dark.

Maybe I'll hit something eventually.

Also, the decision to make FUSE appear as a network filesystem is likely due to the fact that the userspace daemons can die, like a network connection might. So it's essentially treating the kernel-to-userspace connection as a netlink, because they both have uncertain reliability when compared to local, in-kernel filesystems.

Apparently I call the cops when I see people litter.
chucker

2007-01-16, 02:50

Well, I was smart enough to destroy a few dozen Gigabytes worth of non-backed up data, but I've made some progress.

Code:
$ diskutil eraseVolume NTFS-3G "MyVolume" disk2s3 Started erase on disk disk2s3 UNTITLED 4 Erasing Mounting Disk Finished erase on disk disk2s3 Untitled error with erase The underlying task reported failure on exit (-9972) Finished erase on disk disk2s3 Untitled
Now, it acts as if something went wrong, and it also doesn't know how to pass on the volume label. However, the drive not only gets created (and automatically mounted); it's also immediately recognized in Disk Utility.

diskutil also explicitly lists the filesystem as an option now:
Code:
$ diskutil eraseVolume Disk Utility Tool [..] Valid filesystems: "Case-sensitive HFS+" "Journaled HFS+" "Case-sensitive Journaled HFS+" "HFS+" "HFS" "MS-DOS FAT32" "MS-DOS FAT16" "MS-DOS" "MS-DOS FAT12" "NTFS-3G" "UFS" "Linux" "Swap"
Unfortunately, Disk Utility does not. In fact, it displays a completely different, far more limited list. Presumably, its list is hardcoded, for no apparent reason.

It also appears that /Library/Filesystems gets ignored, based on anecdotal fs_usage-based evidence.

In any case: progress.
chucker

2007-01-16, 03:03

…but when mounted, Apple's own NTFS takes over again. Ugh.
chucker

2007-01-16, 04:53

I'm writing an ntfs.util as a Unix shell script. Disk Arbitration invokes this just fine for:
1) formatting
2) verifying
3) repairing.
For whatever messed up reason, though, it completely ignores it for mounting. You'd think that'd be the easiest.

In any case, I can now invoke ntfsfix from Disk Utility by selecting the NTFS partition, on MBR, at least. Things seem tricker on GPT. I can also do something like:

Code:
diskutil eraseVolume NTFS-3G newName disk1s2
To create a new volume.
Hara Taiki

2007-01-16, 09:37

How do I unmount?
mccoy88f

2007-01-16, 10:57

Hi someone can recompile ntfs-3g with newest version aviable...
thanks
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-01-16, 11:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
For whatever messed up reason, though, it completely ignores it for mounting. You'd think that'd be the easiest.
I assume you've ended up duplicating the FSMediaTypes keys from Apple's ntfs.fs bundle, and altering the FSProbeOrder values to a lower number?

That's how it goes through detecting a volume. I had it working once, and NTFS-3g would appear in the DiskArbitration logs, but the mount command never got executed, and NTFS mounts failed.

However, it sounds like you're currently having more luck than me. The return codes for probing a volume are 255 for success, and 254 for failure, and the volume name is printed on STDOUT. Thus, the best command for the task might be a wrapper around ntfslabel, and returning $((255 - $?)).

Could I look at your FS bundle to see what I can (or can't) get working?

ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-01-16, 11:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoy88f View Post
Hi someone can recompile ntfs-3g with newest version aviable...
thanks
Done!
ErBiC

2007-01-16, 11:42

Shadow, the new compile of NTFS-3g produces an error.

Code:
Failed to open /proc/filesystems: No such file or directory
It does this twice, then the FUSE kext loads. The error in no way interferes with full read-write functionality.
Just making it known.
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-01-16, 12:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErBiC View Post
Shadow, the new compile of NTFS-3g produces an error.

Code:
Failed to open /proc/filesystems: No such file or directory
It does this twice, then the FUSE kext loads. The error in no way interferes with full read-write functionality.
Just making it known.
Thanks! This is a result of the changes made in the new build; it tries to probe /proc/filesystems (a linux-specific feature) to find information about FUSE. When it fails to get info, it has defaults, so I've just fixed the build to skip the probing and assume the right value for MacFUSE.

The build in my previous post has been updated. Let me know if this works and/or causes problems.

ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-01-16, 13:24

Quote:
Renaming does indeed seem to work. I don't see ntfslabel actually being launched, though; perhaps 'watch -n0' isn't fast enough to catch it. How does Disk Arbitration know to call that utility? You don't create a file system bundle, after all. Just wondering how this works.

As for mkntfs and ntfsfix, that's useful on the command-line, I suppose, but without a file system bundle, neither can be integrated with Disk Utility, right? Also, if I'm not mistaken, all ntfsfix does is schedule a file system for checking upon next reboot in Windows?
Oh, what I meant is that you can rename by running ntfslabel from the command line. As you said, none of this is accessible yet to the typical OS X facilities, because there's not a filesystem bundle to expose it to DiskArbitration. If it supports renaming, I'd think it just caches the new name based on volume UUID until a reboot. I didn't think the Apple tools could actually rename NTFS volumes...

I just took the step of building ntfsprogs so that we have all the software we need to properly wrap and expose these features to Disk Utility and other OS X tools that use Disk Arbitration.

Guess I should have made that clearer.

chucker

2007-01-16, 13:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowOfGed View Post
I assume you've ended up duplicating the FSMediaTypes keys from Apple's ntfs.fs bundle, and altering the FSProbeOrder values to a lower number?
Yep.

(I think. )

Quote:
That's how it goes through detecting a volume. I had it working once, and NTFS-3g would appear in the DiskArbitration logs, but the mount command never got executed, and NTFS mounts failed.
Well, see, it does try to mount upon boot. It does execute the mount command, then, too. Apparently, though, I'm giving it the wrong return code, since it seems to assume (judging from the 'diskarbitrationd -d'-created logs) that something went wrong, and seems to unmount immediately after.

Quote:
However, it sounds like you're currently having more luck than me. The return codes for probing a volume are 255 for success, and 254 for failure, and the volume name is printed on STDOUT. Thus, the best command for the task might be a wrapper around ntfslabel, and returning $((255 - $?)).
Hm. Where did you get those return codes? I looked at some source code of hfs.util and such, and I figured it wanted these:
Code:
$ grep -r RECOGNIZED /usr/include/ /usr/include/sys/loadable_fs.h:#define FSUR_RECOGNIZED (-1) /* response to FSUC_PROBE; implies that /usr/include/sys/loadable_fs.h:#define FSUR_UNRECOGNIZED (-2) /* negative response to FSUC_PROBE */
Quote:
Could I look at your FS bundle to see what I can (or can't) get working?
In a bit.

It should be noted that a lot of stuff that appears to be customizable in Info.plist is actually hard-coded. For instance, during boot-up, all FS*Arguments keys seem to be ignored entirely, whereas later on, it respects them. Also, it never seems to give a damn about FSMountExecutable. It's not a big deal though it did waste a lot of my time in debugging this; instead of looking for $1, I just create symlinks accordingly to what it's really looking for, and then look for $0.
chucker

2007-01-16, 14:19

Code:
20:13:05 probed disk, id = /dev/disk0s4, with ntfs-3g, ongoing. 20:13:05 20:13:05 diskarbitrationd [45] -> kextd [30]:11779 20:13:05 dispatched callback, id = 000057D4:00000000, kind = disk appeared, disk = /dev/disk0s2. 20:13:05 dispatched callback queue. 20:13:05 20:13:05 diskarbitrationd [45] -> diskarbitrationd [45] 20:13:05 probed disk, id = /dev/disk0s4, with ntfs-3g, success.
So that's going correctly. But:

Code:
20:13:06 mounted disk, id = /dev/disk0s4, ongoing. 20:13:06 20:13:06 diskarbitrationd [45] -> kextd [30]:11779 20:13:06 dispatched callback queue. 20:13:06 20:13:06 diskarbitrationd [45] -> coreservicesd [94]:12547 20:13:06 dispatched callback queue. 20:13:06 20:13:06 diskarbitrationd [45] -> blued [92]:13059 20:13:06 dispatched callback queue. 20:13:07 20:13:07 mount_fusefs [106]:13571 -> diskarbitrationd [45] 20:13:07 created session, id = mount_fusefs [106]:13571. 20:13:07 created disk, id = /dev/disk0s4@0. 20:13:07 20:13:07 diskarbitrationd [45] -> kextd [30]:11779 20:13:07 dispatched callback, id = 000057D4:00000000, kind = disk appeared, disk = /dev/disk0s4@0. 20:13:07 20:13:07 diskarbitrationd [45] -> coreservicesd [94]:12547 20:13:07 dispatched callback, id = 90C7E30C:00000000, kind = disk appeared, disk = /dev/disk0s4@0. 20:13:07 20:13:07 diskarbitrationd [45] -> blued [92]:13059 20:13:07 dispatched callback, id = 90C7E30C:00000000, kind = disk appeared, disk = /dev/disk0s4@0. 20:13:07 20:13:07 mount_fusefs [106]:13571 -> diskarbitrationd [45] 20:13:07 removed session, id = mount_fusefs [106]:13571. 20:13:07 20:13:07 diskarbitrationd [45] -> kextd [30]:11779 20:13:07 dispatched callback queue. 20:13:07 20:13:07 diskarbitrationd [45] -> coreservicesd [94]:12547 20:13:07 dispatched callback queue. 20:13:07 20:13:07 diskarbitrationd [45] -> blued [92]:13059 20:13:07 dispatched callback queue. 20:13:07 20:13:07 diskarbitrationd [45] -> diskarbitrationd [45] 20:13:07 mounted disk, id = /dev/disk0s4, failure. 20:13:07 unable to mount /dev/disk0s4 (status code 0xFFFFFFFF).
So, it tries to mount, even goes through calling mount_fusefs (so evidently I must be doing something right here; ntfs-3g definitely was called and all), then fails. Interestingly, it suddenly talks about disk0s4@0. Is it possible that MacFUSE is currently hardcoded to use @ syntax for alternate mounts so it never conflicts with Apple's .fs bundles? (No, doesn't look like it from macfuse's code.)
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-01-16, 14:55

Quote:
Hm. Where did you get those return codes? I looked at some source code of hfs.util and such, and I figured it wanted these:
Code:
$ grep -r RECOGNIZED /usr/include/ /usr/include/sys/loadable_fs.h:#define FSUR_RECOGNIZED (-1) /* response to FSUC_PROBE; implies that /usr/include/sys/loadable_fs.h:#define FSUR_UNRECOGNIZED (-2) /* negative response to FSUC_PROBE */
I just ran ntfs.util on an NTFS volume, and then did "echo $?" to check the return code. On an 8-bit value, -1 = 255 and -2 = 254, so it's effectively the same, as far as I can tell.

Well, it's a shame DiskArbitration doesn't really parse the filesystem bundles for the commands... maybe Leopard will be better about that.

Hara Taiki

2007-01-16, 14:57

How do I unmount the drive? It won't let me eject it, Finder says that there are processes using it, and I should quit them before ejecting...

The reason why I want to unmount, is so that I can remount using Apple's own NTFS at times, because NTFS-3g doesn't seem to like video playback, and my main storage drive for video's is my NTFS drive. When I move the file to my HFS+ drive, it plays back just fine, and has also played back just fine when not using NTFS-3g for the drive.

So yeah, how do I unmount?
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-01-16, 14:59

Quote:
So, it tries to mount, even goes through calling mount_fusefs (so evidently I must be doing something right here; ntfs-3g definitely was called and all), then fails. Interestingly, it suddenly talks about disk0s4@0. Is it possible that MacFUSE is currently hardcoded to use @ syntax for alternate mounts so it never conflicts with Apple's .fs bundles? (No, doesn't look like it from macfuse's code.)
Have you created a wrapper that will dump, verbatim, the arguments passed to ntfs-3g? From digging around a little bit in the diskarbitrationd source code on ADC, it looks like the way it passes arguments is not exactly how ntfs-3g expects them.

For example, ntfs-3g expects /dev/disk0s4 (or whatnot), but only the basename (disk0s4) gets passed. There are some other quirks, such as the ordering/placement of mount options, I think. Any chance those minor descrepancies are what's causing the failure?

chucker

2007-01-16, 15:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hara Taiki View Post
How do I unmount the drive? It won't let me eject it, Finder says that there are processes using it, and I should quit them before ejecting...
Spotlight could be indexing it, you could have a window (in Terminal, Finder, etc.) open with it, etc. You can normally unmount the drive in Finder; when you can't, that indicates, just like the Finder correctly claims, that something is using it.

Close apps, add the drive to Spotlight's ignore list, etc.

Alternatively, you can run
Code:
mount
in Terminal and find the device for your NTFS drive, then run
Code:
sudo umount "the device goes here"
chucker

2007-01-16, 15:20

Quote:
Have you created a wrapper that will dump, verbatim, the arguments passed to ntfs-3g?
Nope.

Quote:
From digging around a little bit in the diskarbitrationd source code on ADC, it looks like the way it passes arguments is not exactly how ntfs-3g expects them.
Which is the main reason I created the wrapper to begin with

Quote:
For example, ntfs-3g expects /dev/disk0s4 (or whatnot), but only the basename (disk0s4) gets passed. There are some other quirks, such as the ordering/placement of mount options, I think. Any chance those minor descrepancies are what's causing the failure?
Shouldn't be the reason. My wrapper is called by DiskArb with these arguments:
0 /sbin/mount_ntfs-3g
1 /dev/disk0s4
2 /Volumes/Untitled

I then call ntfs-3g with these:
0 /usr/local/bin/ntfs-3g
1 /dev/disk0s4
2 /Volumes/Untitled
3 -oping_diskarb

(I'll add back -ovolname support later, using ntfslabel.)

Similarly, when formatting, DiskArb sets $4 to /dev/rdisk0s4, but that's not the type of device mkntfs wants, so I change it to /dev/disk0s4.

Judging from STDOUT and STDERR output, there is simply no error on ntfs-3g's part. As expected, it outputs "kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/fusefs.kext loaded successfully", as it's loaded for the first time. But that's it. So I'm at a loss on this one.

I did manage to implement probing to an extent, in that my .fs bundle's priority is now above that of ntfs.fs (and msdos.fs); it gracefully delegates to msdos.fs where appropriate. The FAT32 volume mounts fine. DiskArb then proceeds to ask my ntfs.util to mount the NTFS volume.

If only I could run mount_fusefs in debug mode…
chucker

2007-01-16, 15:43

Hm. It indeed temporarily mounts it as disk0s4@0. I can only assume that:
1) MacFUSE is currently hardcoded to do this to avoid conflicts
2) DiskArbitration doesn't see disk0s4 as mounted, concludes something went wrong and undoes the process.
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-01-16, 15:48

Quote:
Shouldn't be the reason. My wrapper is called by DiskArb with these arguments:
0 /sbin/mount_ntfs-3g
1 /dev/disk0s4
2 /Volumes/Untitled
How are you probing the drive? Are you printing the volume name on STDOUT or STDERR in addition to providing the right return codes? Because I *think* that's how DiskArbitration gets the volume name while probing. I know the daemon reads from the STDOUT and STDERR pipes on the mount command, and ntfs.util prints the volume name there. Also, the ntfs.util prints the name without a newline at the end, so if DiskArb looks for the last line of text, that could also be why it's empty.

Quote:
I then call ntfs-3g with these:
0 /usr/local/bin/ntfs-3g
1 /dev/disk0s4
2 /Volumes/Untitled
3 -oping_diskarb
Is ping_diskarb really necessary? After all, you're being *called* by DiskArb, which would seem to mean you don't need to notify DiskArb that you're mounting the drive. Perhaps DiskArb gets extraordinarily confused when it mounts a volume, gets a ping, and then tries to complete mounting it?

Quote:
(I'll add back -ovolname support later, using ntfslabel.)
As above, I feel like fusefs should not need to notify DiskArb as long as you're being called *through* DiskArb. I think those options are only hacks to "integrate" with DiskArbitration when you're manually mounting volumes from the command line. Have you tried omitting these?

Gotta run... maybe I'll find more later.

chucker

2007-01-16, 15:59

Quote:
How are you probing the drive?
It's dirty, but for the time being, with a clean NTFS volume, it works:

Code:
function Probe () { device=/dev/$2 result=`/usr/local/bin/ntfsinfo -m "$device" | grep "Volume Information" | wc -l` if [ $result -eq 1 ] then echo -1 FSUR_RECOGNIZED exit -1 # FSUR_RECOGNIZED; probe response; mounting implied possible else echo -2 FSUR_UNRECOGNIZED exit -2 # FSUR_UNRECOGNIZED; negative probe response (e.g. FAT32) fi }
The only point of probing, after all, is to rule out different file systems, not to check if a file system is okay or anything like that. If ntfsinfo doesn't print out the Volume Information, the volume is either broken, or simply not an NTFS one (e.g., an FAT32 one).

This is only relevant because, in GPT, FAT32 and NTFS are both identified with one and the same GUID, as "Microsoft Basic Data". Which means that their FSMediaTypes / Content Hint is exactly the same.

Like I said, it works. It's not the issue.

Quote:
Are you printing the volume name on STDOUT or STDERR in addition to providing the right return codes?
No, I return -3, or FSUR_IO_SUCCESS, after mounting. This seems to be what mount_msdos does.

Quote:
Because I *think* that's how DiskArbitration gets the volume name while probing. I know the daemon reads from the STDOUT and STDERR pipes on the mount command, and ntfs.util prints the volume name there. Also, the ntfs.util prints the name without a newline at the end, so if DiskArb looks for the last line of text, that could also be why it's empty.
Interesting. Will look into it.

Quote:
Is ping_diskarb really necessary? After all, you're being *called* by DiskArb, which would seem to mean you don't need to notify DiskArb that you're mounting the drive. Perhaps DiskArb gets extraordinarily confused when it mounts a volume, gets a ping, and then tries to complete mounting it?
That's an interesting point. I'll see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for your help!
Hara Taiki

2007-01-16, 16:13

Spotlite wont let me exclude it from being indexed.

Is there anyway to force it to unmount?
chucker

2007-01-16, 16:14

…I have it automounting

It was the -oping_diskarb. Makes perfect sense, I suppose.

Progress™
chucker

2007-01-16, 16:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hara Taiki View Post
Spotlite wont let me exclude it from being indexed.

Is there anyway to force it to unmount?
Like I said:

Quote:
Alternatively, you can run
Code:
mount
in Terminal and find the device for your NTFS drive, then run
Code:
sudo umount "the device goes here"
That should work.
Hara Taiki

2007-01-16, 16:44

It doesn't. It tells me the device is busy.
chucker

2007-01-16, 16:47

What if you append -f?

Code:
mount
Code:
sudo umount -f "the device goes here"