User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Alarm like sounds coming from a Powermac G5

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Alarm like sounds coming from a Powermac G5
AbsolutSuspekt

2006-06-08, 14:21

I am at odds with this issue but if anyone has any feedback or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. I have a 2.0Ghz Powermac Dual G5 with 1gb of RAM. About a month ago, I started getting these pulsing sounds coming from my internal speakers in the front. The pulsing sounds then graduate to an alarm like sound loud enough to make one think they have to evacuate the building. I thought maybe it was my speakers and subwoofer because originally when I disconnected them the sound would disappear.

Soon however it graduated to the internal speakers. However, it only appears to be linked to my main profile with all my important data. When the alarm sound goes off and I switch to another profile, the sound is gone. I thought maybe the profile itself was corrupt.

So far these are the troubleshooting steps I have taken. I have repaired permissions, I have ran Techtool Pro and Disk Warrior to troubleshoot for errors, I have reset the pRAM, I have done both an archive and install as well as an erase and install and I have disconnected 3rd party hardware which wasn't much (i.e. printer and iPod dock.

The problem itself is intermittent. Originally it would happen once or twice a week and then it started happening every day and the alarm sounds last roughly 2 minutes. I took it to the Applestore and they were unable to replicate the problem. They told me it was software related;however, I still had the problem when the drive was wiped completely.

In addition, all of the "3rd party software" is the same software I have had since I purchased the computer. The only change has been the update to 10.4.6.

When I got my computer back from the Applestore it worked fine for 2 days and then started happening again. I feel like I am at odds with this. Apparently nothing hardware has been detected for problems and even with a clean drive I still have the problem. Is there a possibility my UPS could be triggering this. Thanks all.
cjmt

2014-03-21, 20:54

I didnt even check the date of the original post but one of our G5 backup servers (which sits at head height beside my desk) has been frightening the crap out of me with that ghastly alarm and I've been on a mission to get to the bottom of it.

Here's some possible insight:: https://discussions.apple.com/message/20403916#20403916 have a read and see if it gives you a fresh lead - if you even still care - this is likely an OLD thread. I just saw 0 replies and signed up an account here just to share this info

EDIT: HA. This post is EIGHT YEARS OLD. Better late than never, right?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-03-22, 00:10

I had the ghastly alarm sound last week on my MacBook Pro.

The screen froze and klaxon-like alarms began sounding (in bursts of 3).

The Internet told me it might be bad RAM slots, and I did recently upgrade the RAM.

So I restarted the machine and did a hardware test and found nothing amiss.

Anyway, the ghastly alarms? Hate 'em.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter