User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

macbook redesign?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
macbook redesign?
Roland

2006-08-22, 12:24

Do you think a Macbook redesign is even possible. Apart from not having the possibilty to have a matte screen (which is what's holding me back from buying one) I really don't like how bulky the Macbook turned out. Now I know that we're probably going to be stuck with the design for a few years, but do you think it's even possible that the macbook will loose some of it's baby fat around the display without cutting into macbook pro sales (too professional looking?).

Last edited by Roland : 2006-08-22 at 12:35.
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2006-08-22, 12:36

I can see minor tweaks over the lifespan of the product, but nothing major. I do expect them to sort out the bevel that seems to hurt wrists so much.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-08-22, 12:42

I'm not sure. Over the entire 4-5 year lifespan of the white iBook, it stayed fairly consistent. Even when switching processors (G3 > G4) it didn't undergo a huge design overhaul (tray-loading drive > slot-loading drive was about it).

It had a few tweaks along the way in terms of finishes, particularly in the look and feel of the area around the keyboard. But the general shape, dimensions, display bezel, ports, keyboard, RAM and battery access, etc. all remained the same.

So, having said all that, I kinda tend to think the MacBook design we currently have is going to be around for a bit, minus a few modest tweaks here and there. But I don't know if it'll undergo a significant shape/size reduction (lessening the bevel around the display, etc.).

Then again, they could up and change it next spring..."just because". No way to truly know...
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-08-22, 13:24

The MacBook is bulky? Wha? It's 1.08" thin!

The only thing about the MacBook that I don't love is the bezel around the display. I agree that it's a bit large. But it wouldn't take a redesign to eliminate that - Apple could just pop in a 14" display. Done!

I remember Pscates saying that a 14" widescreen would be the perfect size for a notebook. The MacBook is basically a 14" widescreen notebook with a 13.3" screen.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-08-22, 14:10

It's quite a bit of plastic bezel around the display, sure enough. I thought that would've been lessened some, but I suppose the guts of the thing (the part below the keyboard) dictates the size more than anything. But they could've gone with a 14" to fill that space a bit better.

I think they're nice. That glossy screen wasn't as distracting or obnoxious in real life as I'd read about. I guess it depends on where/how you were using the thing (definitely not outside on a bright, sunny day, huh?).

My stepbrother got the $1,299 model a week ago...he starts college any day now, up in Middle Tennessee. He's a switcher and he seems to have really taken to it. I've only had to answer a few questions for him...he seems to have figured out most everything else just fine.

Last I heard, he "absolutely loves it".
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-08-22, 14:25

I'm getting the $1,299 model for college, too. I hope.

EDIT: Deleted off-topic-ness.

Last edited by Robo : 2006-08-22 at 14:34.
Inspace000

2006-08-22, 14:47

I noticed above that someone else is not happy with the glossy screens. After the release of the Macbooks in May, I wrote a letter (on paper) to Apple and actually received a telephone call from a public relations person. He asked me a couple of questions and seemed concerned that I was not going to buy any of the new products. I explained that I wanted something small--like my Powerbook G4 12"--but just can't deal with the glossy screen for the kind of work I do. The conversation ended with assurance that my comments would be logged in a case file. So, perhaps either a small Macbook Pro or a Macbook with a matte screen will appear if enough people continue to express their desire to see one.
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2006-08-22, 16:09

Wow...i never knew that you could *only* get MacBooks with glossy screens...i had assumed you had an option as you do with the MacBook Pros. That's very intriguing.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-08-22, 16:13

Yeah. They might sell a bit more of them if they simply provided that option. How tough could it be? I don't know, I'm asking...

But I know quite a few people who aren't buying one, solely for that reason. They're overlooking the graphics issue, even. But that glossy screen is a deal-killer for some.

If it was an option, I suppose I'd get the standard, non-glossy display (like what I'm used to), but I'm also okay with the glossy too if that's all they're going to offer.

I know what'll happen: I'll buy mine, then on the following Tuesday - completely out of the blue - they'll announce that option in a press release..."MacBooks now have glossy/non-glossy display choice. Oh, sorry, Paul...should've waited".

babelfishi

2006-08-22, 20:24

I doubt any change for the MacBook anytime soon. The MacBook was a quite a change from the iBook, so I don't think Apple is going to do any major changes soon.
AWR
Veteran Member

2006-08-23, 04:21

I'm GLAD there's no choice of glossy or matte screens: that decision would really unnerve me. I like both.

I think the MacBook looks great but for the fat bezel. Like pscates, I don't know if they could simply plop a 14" screen in there and shave the bezel. THAT would be a wikid machine. But maybe Apple considers the less sophisticated form vis vis the MacBook Pro as a necessary distinguishing element for consumers. I. Just. Don't. Know.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2006-08-23, 07:55

I think it wouldn't be too hard to go to a 14" screen, but it's not neccessary either.

The only thing I'm really skeptical about is the keyboard, but I'm coming from an Albook, which has the best keyboard ever made available on a laptop -- anything else is bound to be not quite as good. I'd have to try one out for a few days first...

I could see the top end model getting a backlit version, though. $200 is a lot to pay for black and a minor HDD bump. It probably costs very little to add just a touch of bling, and may be enough to get many white buyers to ante up to the black model...

Other changes?

I'd love to see an expresscard slot, again, at least on the black model. New I/O is the most meaningful upgrade you can do, after RAM, and keeps your machine humming along nicely for a couple more years, often times. Restricting it doesn't promote subsequent sales. Every single manufacturer manages to include at least on regardless of price point, so just do it... I have a USB1.1 PB12" -- no cardbus slot. I also have a 30GB FW iPod. I would get a nano (USB2) but I can't connect it at reasonable speeds with the PB. If I could get a card, I'd get the pod, as is, I'm not buying a whole new machine just to attach a pod, so for now, Apple loses two sales (an expansion card, and an iPod) ...

Buzzneon

2006-08-25, 12:22

Matsu, I just (two days ago) bought a white Mac Book after having a 12" G4 Power Book for 4 years. I also loved that keyboard and was worried about the keyboard in the MacBook.

Well I have to say that it's not as nice the one in the Power Book, but at the same time it's certainly not bad either. It took an hour or so to get used to it, and I really don't mind it. I would prefer the old Power Book keyboard in here, but the MacBook one works well and is not uncomfortable.

I do wish the MacBook was a little smaller, but other than that I'm really happy with it. It has very big shoes to fill (the 12" Power Book was the best computer I've owned), but I think it's up to the task.

Cameron.
sith_lord

2006-08-25, 12:40

I would like to see the macbook pro go thinner and have the same ability to swap drives on the fly (kinda) much like the current mac books. Longer battery life and possibly a wireless N cards for networking.

I didn't read the posting guidelines.
Anthem

2006-08-25, 13:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzneon
Matsu, I just (two days ago) bought a white Mac Book after having a 12" G4 Power Book for 4 years. I also loved that keyboard and was worried about the keyboard in the MacBook.

Well I have to say that it's not as nice the one in the Power Book, but at the same time it's certainly not bad either. It took an hour or so to get used to it, and I really don't mind it. I would prefer the old Power Book keyboard in here, but the MacBook one works well and is not uncomfortable.
The biggest thing holding me off a MacBook is the keyboard. On my tower, I can upgrade to a decent windows keyboard and a good 3-button optical mouse for next to nothing. On the macbook, though, I'm stuck.

When you say it's "not uncomfortable" it sounds like you're damning with slight praise. Is it comfortable?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-08-25, 13:13

Anthem: Why not use it yourself and decide if it's comfortable or not? What's comfortable for Buzzneon (or myself) might not be comfortable for you...
MacGregor

2006-08-25, 13:40

Get over the glossy screen. I thought it was a bad move and yet everytime I use someone elses MacBook it takes me a whole 27 seconds to forget that it is any different! And when I see photos side by side with my own TiBook, the glossy screen is much richer.

This is not a big deal, especially to switchers, thought the option would be nice.

The "Mother of All" Flip-flops.
http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB82/
Support the Freedom of Information Act by using it ... support the troops by being an informed electorate!
Matsu
Veteran Member

2006-08-26, 19:05

There is the possibility that black will become a no cost option, and that a small "pro" book will return. Essentially Macbook internals in a thinner-smaller-lighter (and more expensive) metal casing. 4.2lbs and thin bezels all around would be the order of the day... I'd go for something liek that...

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-08-26, 19:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu
There is the possibility that black will become a no cost option, and that a small "pro" book will return. Essentially Macbook internals in a thinner-smaller-lighter (and more expensive) metal casing. 4.2lbs and thin bezels all around would be the order of the day... I'd go for something liek that...
Hopefully a smaller MBP would be more than just MacBook internals. Dedicate graphics plzkthx.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2006-08-26, 19:17

I'd rather have the option of an expresscard slot though it shouldn't be an either/or consideration... Intel's upcoming 965 (or whatever they're calling it) that will pair with Core 2 duo should be good enough...

bantock101

2006-08-26, 23:42

One other way to look at the macbook is that it can be used in a few different ways that make variables possible. You can put it up on an icurve stand and use a separate keyboard and mouse, that you can change over time, if you like, or you can, unlike the ibook, use it with a separate monitor, and have the type of screen fabric of your choosing, since unlike the ibook, the macbook will allow you to go beyond the mirror image of the macbook screen. That way, the macbook becomes the portable part of the system that you take with you when you go out, but when you are at home, your set up is as variable as you choose it to be.
Buzzneon

2006-08-27, 09:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem
The biggest thing holding me off a MacBook is the keyboard. On my tower, I can upgrade to a decent windows keyboard and a good 3-button optical mouse for next to nothing. On the macbook, though, I'm stuck.
Isn't that the case with any laptop??

Quote:
When you say it's "not uncomfortable" it sounds like you're damning with slight praise. Is it comfortable?
Sure it is .. I was just trying to imply that while I don't like it as much as the PowerBook keyboard, I don't dislike the new keyboard on the MacBook.
monkeyclaw

Send a message via AIM to monkeyclaw Send a message via MSN to monkeyclaw  
2006-08-27, 12:55

I absolutely adore the new keyboards, they are so nice and feel much like a regular keyboard. And the glossy screens are actually pretty nice. The display is so amazingly bright that the glare no longer becomes an issue. I get more of a glare on my old PB than I do when using a new MB w/ a glossy screen in the same conditions. Pretty nifty if you ask me, lol.

"Starbuck's Double Shot, just what you need when procrastination catches up" - Me
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-08-27, 19:54

I love everything about my MacBook but I would like to see them put a backlight in the keyboard, an option for dedicated graphics, and Merom (first two exclusive to the black model to make it worth the money other than just the color) With those changes I would probably sell mine and get a new one.

Anybody see those as plausible additions to the black MacBook to make it like a 12" PB replacement?
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-08-27, 20:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod View Post
I love everything about my MacBook but I would like to see them put a backlight in the keyboard, an option for dedicated graphics, and Merom (first two exclusive to the black model to make it worth the money other than just the color) With those changes I would probably sell mine and get a new one.

Anybody see those as plausible additions to the black MacBook to make it like a 12" PB replacement?

So, you want a MacBook Pro?
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-08-27, 20:18

EXACTLY! But with a smaller screen so it can go to class with me!
aapl

2006-08-31, 15:50

Glossy or non-glossy You CAN order what you like

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...ts/AppleStore/