User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Instagram
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2014-10-01, 13:22

I know we have a Twitter thread for people here that are on Twitter, so I figured I'd make one for Instagram as well.

My Instagram is the same as here:

www.instagram.com/kierankelly

I know there are a lot of photographers here, so I'm assuming they must share as well, right?

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2014-10-01, 14:14

www.instagram.com/yontsey

Kieran has awesome photos of Boston if you're into that kind of thing. Definitely enjoyable.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2014-10-01, 14:21

Why thank you.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2014-10-01, 14:29

http://instagram.com/bryson430

Is me.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2014-10-04, 12:31

I don't use Instagram because afaik it only works with pics taken on phones via the phone app, what's the best sharing service if all your photos are taken on a dinosaur's age point-and-shoot? (Besides our own photo thread!)

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-10-04, 13:00

Flicker's free and easy, and everyone knows about it. It's what I've used in the past (and it's what I've put my uncle on). He, too, takes his photos with a digital point-and-shoot (no smartphone), so he loads them to his iMac into iPhoto, then to Flickr, directly out of iPhoto.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2014-10-04, 13:04

Instagram will work with any picture on your phone. You do have to use the phone to upload it, but that's pretty simple to get all of your pictures on your phone.

I use an EyeFi card to get my DSLR pictures on my phone, but it's still pretty easy to just sync with iPhoto or Aperture to use phone apps.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-10-04, 14:26

The thing about Instagram is that it doesn't seem the right choice for mass storage because (to me) it's a bit of a "rarified atmosphere" type of social sharing site... the sort of thing where you're trying to post artful images, not just an image dump. Do people use it in other ways?

I keep waiting for Flickr to be purchased by somebody that will make it as good as it should have been.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-10-04, 16:52

I think most people who use Instagram take their pictures out of the app and share them in the app. I don't personally know of anyone who actually uses the camera function in the app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
Instagram will work with any picture on your phone. You do have to use the phone to upload it, but that's pretty simple to get all of your pictures on your phone.

I use an EyeFi card to get my DSLR pictures on my phone, but it's still pretty easy to just sync with iPhoto or Aperture to use phone apps.
I need a CF to SD for this. I want to have wireless uploading on my Rebel XT I'm still using to this day. Some day I'll buy a new camera, when it's a higher priority to me. I love this idea though. It never occurred to be to do something like this to use my phone for storage on the go.

Louis L'Amour, β€œTo make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2014-10-04, 17:44

This thread got me to finally go download Instagram. First thing I find is that one of my best friends from high school has a feed full of her doing yoga in her underwear.

Welp.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-10-04, 18:08

Technology rocks.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2014-10-04, 19:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Technology rocks.

edit: http://instagram.com/youfoundryan

(not her, unfortunately )

Last edited by Ryan : 2014-10-04 at 21:27.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2014-10-05, 00:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post

I need a CF to SD for this. I want to have wireless uploading on my Rebel XT I'm still using to this day. Some day I'll buy a new camera, when it's a higher priority to me. I love this idea though. It never occurred to be to do something like this to use my phone for storage on the go.
That's th best thing about the eyefil. It gives any camera wireless uploading. I got the 16GB one so its normally enough, but I can always dump some into my phone if need be.

Plus, I can upload my DSLR pictures instantly whichi I really like.

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2014-10-05, 00:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
This thread got me to finally go download Instagram. First thing I find is that one of my best friends from high school has a feed full of her doing yoga in her underwear.

Welp.

See, now aren't you glad you signed up? πŸ˜„πŸ˜„

Plus, it's not hard to realize how she has so many followers. She takes very good pictures. πŸ˜„
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2014-10-05, 00:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
The thing about Instagram is that it doesn't seem the right choice for mass storage because (to me) it's a bit of a "rarified atmosphere" type of social sharing site... the sort of thing where you're trying to post artful images, not just an image dump. Do people use it in other ways?

I keep waiting for Flickr to be purchased by somebody that will make it as good as it should have been.

It's definitely not an image dump type of service. More of a "pick your few best images and post"

I still use Flickr, but all of my pictures are dumped into iCloud photo library now.