User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

So a guy drove into my bumper...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
So a guy drove into my bumper...
digitalprimate

2009-01-04, 16:35

I was parked in front of his car port, to load in a table at my friend's apartment...
We were done and went back in when five minutes later someone rang at my friend's door. I realized that I let my car in front of a car port. I expected someone couldn't get in, but apparently, it was someone who couldn't get out. He hadn't paid attention and hit the bumper of my car. I apologized several times (for being in his exit). He was very unfriendly and grumpy. Somewhat understandable.

We thought at first there wasn't anything wrong, but when I had put my car in a legal spot, I noticed a definite crack. I walked up to his car and told him that there was damage. He grumpily told me that I had to deal with it and that I'd have to contact him if there was any damage. He would do the same, he said, as he had already written down my plate.
And then he drove off.

On advice from my insurance agent, I had to make a statement with the police. The officer took my statement, but basically told me off, warned me that I would get a fine for not being parked legally and thought it was petty of me not being able to deal with him personally.

I'm having this bad feeling now that I'll end up paying his damage as well.

2009 has not started well. There are other things but this is the most recent.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-01-04, 17:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalprimate View Post
On advice from my insurance agent, I had to make a statement with the police. The officer took my statement, but basically told me off, warned me that I would get a fine for not being parked legally and thought it was petty of me not being able to deal with him personally.
What a snotty thing for the cop to say. What if you had tried to "deal with him personally" (and being the surly grump you say the other guy was), things escalated and took a nasty turn? Would the cop prefer that instead (arresting one or two people on fighting or assault charges)?

So even when you try and take the mature, legal high-road, someone isn't going to like it (and a police officer, no less).

Nice.

You should've told the officer "well, I thought about stabbing him a couple of times - with my shirt off, of course! - on the off-chance you guys have a 'Cops' film crew riding with you this week. But it's the New Year and I'm turning over a new leaf and trying not to be so much of a quick-to-act, ridiculous a-hole in these kinds of situations. But I can see my newfound maturity doesn't impress you..."

The last two times I've had to talk to the police about something, I found it quite a troubling, eye-opening experience. I know it takes all kinds (and they have to have their own "defense mechanisms" to get through their tough, thankless days), but sometimes a little understanding or empathy (or even pretending like you give half a damn) can go a long way toward making someone feel a little better.

It's the police/street-level version of a doctor with a horrible, off-putting "bedside manner".
Naderfan
Queen of Confrontation

2009-01-04, 17:21

I had a similar experience with a cop - I got rear-ended at a stop light by a semi, so I pulled into the gas station near by and the semi kept going. I was really upset, called my husband and he said I had to call 911, so I did and they said they'd send a cop. Then the driver of the semi came back and said he couldn't pull his truck into the gas station and why didn't I just keep going forward and pull in somewhere he could fit?

Then he got mad at me for calling the cops. The cop showed up and truck driver immediately started telling him about all the friends he had who were cops. Then the cop pretty much told me that there was no reason for me to have called them and I should have just exchanged info with the guy. I felt so humiliated. This was almost 3 years ago and I'm still a bit bitter about it, in case you couldn't tell.

Anyway, sorry you had such a crappy experience. Good luck with everything
digitalprimate

2009-01-04, 18:42

Yeah thx guys.

Usually, over here, when there's a minor accident, the parties involved try to settle stuff outside of legal settings... but since the guy bumping me took off, my insurance agent still advised me to go to the police. One of my friends indicated that, since the other driver took my plate too, he was already planning on contacting HIS insurance in case he has any damage, so he wasn't willing to make amends himself. Eh.

I guess the officer was annoyed with me because it was sunday and it was "only" a 30 cm crack in my plastic bumper (and no other probs and/or injured). Add to that, that apparently I reported to the "wrong" district office. See, we called the responsible district office for them to come to the scene and inspect the scene. But no. They told me come to a police office. I could go to ANY office. So I chose the one I know.

The same thing happened when they broke into my car to steal my gps. I had to report at the police station (which is located in a street where there are never any parking spaces left, ever) they wouldn't come. Highly unsatisfying experiences so far with the Police over here. If I didn't need the police document for my insurance, I wouldn't have bothered making the statement at all.