User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

AppleNova Official iPad 3 Prediction Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
View Poll Results: What do you expect at Wednesday's iPad 3 event?
Retina Display 19 100.00%
A6 quad-core 4 21.05%
LTE 15 78.95%
New Design 2 10.53%
Same pricing 16 84.21%
Same capacities 10 52.63%
128GB model 6 31.58%
iOS 5.1 15 78.95%
New Apple software for iPad (iPhoto, Aperture, etc.) 12 63.16%
New tv 17 89.47%
A surprise product/service 3 15.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

AppleNova Official iPad 3 Prediction Thread
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-03-06, 21:47

I've tried to include a poll. No idea how that's gonna go...

EDIT: Hey, it worked!
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2012-03-06, 21:55

Hardware:

- 9.7" Retina Display
- A5x, i.e. same as the A5 with a better GPU. Not feeling the quad-core.
- 1 GB RAM (can't confirm till the teardown)
- 4G LTE, only one cellular model.
- 8MP camera, same as the iPhone 4S
- Honestly not sure about capacity... can see it going either way: 16/32/64 or 32/64/128.

Software:

- iOS 5.1
- iPhoto for iOS

Misc:

- iPad 2 still available, but only 2 models: 16GB Wifi and 16GB Wifi/3G for $399 and $529 respectively. Possibly $349/$479. (Admittedly, this is a maybe.)
- New tv which supports 1080p content, hulu+ baked in, and has an A5/512MB RAM/16GB NAND. Still $99. No "real" tv... yet.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

Last edited by Kraetos : 2012-03-06 at 22:07.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2012-03-06, 22:04

I'm thinking iPhoto is starting to make a lot of sense.

Going along with the HD theme, my long shot guess is an update to iMovie as well.

I think all the hardware specs are petty well determined at this point. I'd like to see 32 GB as the base, but I'm not sure I will.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2012-03-07, 08:03

I am feeling new design. I don't know where exactly they can go with the design - although a couple of speculations have been posted - but I am feeling it anyway.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-03-07, 08:15

That's odd. All those leaked case/shell pics. Looks a tad poochier/rounded, but still like an iPad 2...especially from the front.

I think a redesign is the absolute last thing we'll see (minus a slight tweak/rounding of the back).

You make a point...it's distilled down to such a basic, simple thing. A redesign would almost have to be one (or both) of two things:

- Crazy reshaping/ratio/orientation tweak
- Major change in materials/colors

(a Blue Dalmation iPad? )

Just can't imagine either of those.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2012-03-07, 09:07

Just like the iPhone, I like the look and feel of iPad 1 over iPad 2. I think a less sharp edge would increase the holding comfortability of the iPad 3 over the iPad 2.

Of course, I could be holding it wrong.
<_<
>_>
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2012-03-07, 09:08

I love the now swirling haptic display rumors and how Senseg is feeding into it, saying they have no comment on their technology until after today's iPad announcement.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2012-03-07, 09:55

Is Apple's own invite to the event a hint on the haptic screen possibility?:

And does a haptic screen fit into "New Design" in your poll choices above? If so, I may not be so far out in left field anymore in my design prediction.

[Edit: Beaten to it by 'Scates, who made the same point in the other thread.]

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-03-07, 10:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
I love the now swirling haptic display rumors and how Senseg is feeding into it, saying they have no comment on their technology until after today's iPad announcement.
I noticed that, reading some of those articles. The thing about it, this had better come through/pan out because they're being all sly and coy and playing it up in a way that makes you think there's truly something there, a connection.

If they're just milking it for attention/press for themselves, and are releasing their statement "after Apple" simply to not be overshadowed by Apple's event...they're gonna get a smack. And a lot of people are going to call them on their asshattery.

They'd better be holding off for the reasons people think (and that they're helping fuel), at this point. Or it's gonna get ugly.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2012-03-07, 10:21

It will be Senseg's technology. Steve would be proud.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2012-03-07, 10:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post

(a Blue Dalmation iPad? )

Just can't imagine either of those.
Ah man, quit making me all nostalgic.
addabox
Veteran Member

2012-03-07, 13:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I noticed that, reading some of those articles. The thing about it, this had better come through/pan out because they're being all sly and coy and playing it up in a way that makes you think there's truly something there, a connection.

If they're just milking it for attention/press for themselves, and are releasing their statement "after Apple" simply to not be overshadowed by Apple's event...they're gonna get a smack. And a lot of people are going to call them on their asshattery.

They'd better be holding off for the reasons people think (and that they're helping fuel), at this point. Or it's gonna get ugly.
So it pretty much looks like they were just yanking our chains (unless Tim unloads the mother of all "one more things" in the next few minutes), but come to think of it, there's no downside for Sensig doing a bit of attention whoring in this way. They're not a consumer facing company, they license to manufacturers. It's not like we're all going to go "Rawr, I'm not buying that Sensig thing now!" And the manufacturers don't care (well, actually, Apple might, but Sensig knows if Apple had any interest in their stuff.....).

My guess is this tech isn't really ready for primetime (after all, it would be pretty incredible to have it so you have to figure if anyone could make it work they would have rolled it out) and Sensig was just looking to raise awareness a bit. If and when they show up in a shipping product this little episode will be forgotten.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated