AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Your Entourage of Photography Gear

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Your Entourage of Photography Gear
Page 8 of 8 First Previous 4 5 6 7 [8]  Thread Tools
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2014-07-08, 09:25

Hadleys do bulge quite a bit when required, but as you suggest, they’re fussy to work out of if packed that tightly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
The 307L doesn't have the quick release buckles because of the weight it's expected to carry, which makes me wonder a bit about the Hadley Large Pro. These bags' volumes are within a half litre of each other. Dorian, how does the quick release closure work when your Hadley is loaded up? And how well or badly should I expect the quick release flap to work if I loaded the Hadley Large Pro with two FX DSLRs and a 24-70 and 70-200 f/2.8...?
As far as I can tell the Hadley Large Pro doesn’t have quick-release straps. The Hadley Large and the Hadley Pro have them, but not the Hadley Large Pro (confusing names, for sure). So I wouldn’t expect them to work very well at all in the scenario you describe.

On the smaller Hadleys, like my Original (official external dimensions: 350 × 250 × 120 mm, so similar to the Hadley Pro), the quick-release straps work brilliantly. But they are not subjected to much load, because these smaller bags don’t have a central handle.

That lack of central handle is occasionally felt, and with a larger and heavier bag it may become a proper nuisance. On the other hand, handles add weight and visual clutter. I just weighed my Hadley Original: 846.5 g (to one-tenth of a gram!). So the central handle appears to add in the region of 150–160 g.

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2014-07-08, 10:05

I found some videos courtesy of youtube.

307L here Nicely demonstrates the strap design and zipper opening. The bags have just slightly too many buckle closures and handles for a properly uncluttered look. The shoulder strap design and top zip are excellent though.

And directly from Billingham there's this 307L demo

Slightly different info from Imaging 2012 show - with what appear to be prototype designs - one 407L and a Hadley Large Pro with quick release buckles and a different detachable shoulder strap - neither of which can be found on Billingham's own site. At the time of video they were still 5 weeks from production, so I guess the designs were further refined before final production.

Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2014-07-08, 10:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
… a Hadley Large Pro with quick release buckles and a different detachable shoulder strap - neither of which can be found on Billingham's own site. At the time of video they were still 5 weeks from production, so I guess the designs were further refined before final production.
Interesting. Perhaps the quick-release closures were liable to open under the weight of a loaded Hadley Large Pro carried by the top handle, so they ditched them before starting production. Since the quick-release straps work so well otherwise, I’d probably end up going with the Hadley Large instead if I could squeeze my equipment into it (but it sounds like it would be a bit small for you).

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2014-07-08, 18:41

I guess it just proves that one bag can't be all things for every situation. Working off your shoulder, the quick release closures would be fine, preferable even. It's hard to integrate a carry handle without it getting in the way of something. ThinkTank's grab strap is probably better here. It stays out of the way.

Matsu
Veteran Member

2014-07-22, 07:56

I just picked up a Ray Flash Universal. It's on the truck, but hasn't arrived yet. I'm curious to see how it stacks up against my home built effort - which really was quite efficient, but not really professional looking enough for paid gigs. I've used it at friends and family gatherings, and mine had a brassy look which IMHO, can work for the dance floor. While pretty good at getting power out, it was anything but colour neutral - in fact, it could be a tad blueish, but that's what you get with high polished aluminium and chef mat construction. A few dabs of gold foil might have balanced things out, but I already have a few mods in mind for the ray flash. More later.