User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone 2012 ;)
Page 7 of 10 First Previous 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10  Next Thread Tools
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2012-08-22, 15:29

Seeing how large the current 30 pin connector is compared to the iPhone, and considering how Apple bothered to introduce a smaller SIM card all on their own, I'd actually be sort of disappointed if they didn't get around to shrinking the dock connector this time. And the iPod nano really needs a smaller connector.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-08-22, 15:32

I wonder if everything, from here out, gets this new connector? iPods and all the rest? If so, and it was all a massive switchover, the third-party outfits would come online fast with their updates. Here's hoping this sticks around for another decade, just we're not doing this every few years.

Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2012-08-22, 16:15

I am still astounded that the dock connector lasted as long as it did. Initially created for the March 2003 revision of the iPod (10,15,30GB models), it's lasted almost 10 years. It's supported Firewire, Firewire/USB, and USB. It's supported iPods, iPod Touches, iPhones and iPads. It's crazy how forward thinking that 30-pin connector was back then.

Edit: It's also funny to think that it really was, initially, a *dock* connector. It was a dock. How many of you put your iPhone in a dock these days? It's a cable. This new design really embraces that.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-08-22, 17:05

Until I got my iPhone 4 two years ago, I kept my 2007 iPhone in a dock for three-plus years. But, yeah...now it just lies (lays?) on the desk when connected to the iMac (or on my nightstand for nighttime wall-charging).

I'd like to have a dock again, though. At least in the bedroom, where it's easier to reach other and push the home button to see the time. But I'm not spending $39 or the privilege.

Thought about just making one from some scrap wood...a little "easel" or cradle-like design where the thing rests on two outstretched arms (like forklift forks, with a wide enough space between them to accommodate the dock cable. I've got about 3-4 designs/ideas fully done up in SketchUp.

With this (alleged) new smaller connector coming, that's even more of the iPhone's base that can sit solidly on the arms...hmmm. I smell a Saturday project.

¡Damned!

2012-08-22, 17:35

OMG. I *was* going to try to shoehorn a Mac mini into my G4 Cube, but now I'm totally turning it into an iPhone 5 dock. The beveled DVD slot at the top would be perfect.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-08-22, 18:22

It'll be the coolest dock ever.

I was poking around online after my previous post and I realized I really just need some pencils and a few rubber bands...screw the woodworking/tools/glue/finishing nonsense!

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2012-08-22, 18:37

The dock was a good idea, I even got one for my iPhone 4, but I stopped using it shortly after getting the phone. Why? It never works if you have the iPhone in a case.

Wrao
Yarp

2012-08-23, 01:29

I like the new cable a lot. But I think Apple will have a much larger uphill climb towards making it as ubiquitous and available as the original dock connector was. Ultimately, the original dock connector, despite being proprietary, wound up being easily more convenient and than mini or micro USB. I am not even sure if I even have a single micro USB cable in my house, but I have probably 10 dock cables. Problem is, that ubiquity was built on the iPod's complete dominance of the PMP market which was a time before USB-powered devices completely flooded all markets. With the glut of new devices using micro-USB, and with Apple's comparatively 'small' marketshare to Android, I question whether all of the car companies and accessory makers will continue to cater to the new Dock Connector as much as just start incorporating micro-USB. It's not like USB is lacking in features anymore, as far as I am aware, the newest USB spec lets it do just about everything the dock connector could. We'll just have to see I guess. Obviously Apple still has a ton of influence on these things.

I also wonder if there won't be anything novel, unique or interesting about the new dock connector's capabilities. Besides being functional in any orientation(which is kind of a big deal, imo) will it support anything else in the way of data, video and audio transmission that the current cable does not?

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2012-08-24, 05:17

Gruber has written up a piece talking about how he thinks the iPhone 5 will be announced at the Sept 12th event with another in Oct for the iPad/iPod updates. Dalrymple has given his approval of this idea. So, it's essentially done - the 2 oracles of Macrumordom have spoken. Sept 12th is iPhone, some time in Oct is iPad air.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.

Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2012-08-28, 10:25

AnandTech now says no NFC chip. Hmm..it does make me wonder what new features this iPhone 5 will have, other than a slightly larger form factor and uni-body construction.
I don't know what else you can shoehorn into a mobile phone...longer battery life?
I just wonder if 'cosmetic' improvements will be enough to keep it competitive?

Last edited by Satchmo : 2012-08-28 at 17:33. Reason: AnandTech not ArsTechnia

Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2012-08-28, 10:32

What would not be competitive about it?

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-08-28, 10:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
What would not be competitive about it?
Bigger form factor and better battery life would be nice, but it just seems stale. It needs something to make it "pop". I'd have a hard time believing Apple won't have something pretty awesome to make it stand out under the hood.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey

Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2012-08-28, 10:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
Bigger form factor and better battery life would be nice, but it just seems stale. It needs something to make it "pop". I'd have a hard time believing Apple won't have something pretty awesome to make it stand out under the hood.
Faster processor, faster graphics, possibly a third thinner, more RAM, bigger screen, and LTE. What more is there?

I don't really disagree with you that it may lack "pop" but I'm not really sure what more there is on the hardware side of things. Software will be what brings pop to phones. I have to think the hardware "pop" after this is only going to get less impressive. Apple will surely settle on this design for a number of years and will only bring faster processors and graphics under the hood.

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2012-08-28, 12:06

No NFC seems pretty minor. I guess you could say, hmm, they're leaving out NFC, what else are they going to leave out? But I think LTE is confirmed at this point, as is a larger screen, so I'm not sure what else. If it didn't get LTE, THEN it would be problematic.

It's more like Apple not including a feature that isn't really ready or useful yet, which is pretty typical for them. Right now, NFC payment barely even exists. I've seen it in one place, a Walgreens, and when I tried to hold my phone up to it, nothing happened and I had to whip out the plastic anyway.

And carriers have mixed support for it as well. I know Verizon just has to be a special snowflake and use a different NFC payment system because why would they use the already (sorta) established Google Wallet? Better to fragment the still-tiny NFC payment market as much as possible, guaranteeing its failure, right?

Okay, rant over. Doesn't matter what system they use since almost no one even tries to accept NFC payment in the first place.

That said, there are some interesting uses for NFC. I like sharing YouTube videos with my wife. Just hold our phones back to back and tap on one to send whatever I'm looking at to the other. So that works with web pages, contact info, YouTube videos, not sure what else. That is kinda cool. You can also do neat things with NFC tags, like put one on your nightstand that toggles the phone between silent mode (at night) and sound on (during the day).

But if they put in NFC they'd feel obligated to work in NFC payment and it's just not ready yet. Or if they don't put in NFC payment, people will be like, "Damn it Apple, you have NFC, why can't I do anything with it except share cat videos?"

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-08-28, 12:09

I just think with only releasing one new phone per year, you really need something exciting that will catch the average consumers attention. Things like faster processor, LTE, RAM, ect, won't do that because other competitors already do that right now. I agree, it's on the software end that Apple really has the advantage. That's where they really excel and have the upper hand but I think that other phone makers are slowly catching up. I just don't want Apple to become complacent and rely on the name alone to sell the phone.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-08-28, 12:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
No NFC seems pretty minor. I guess you could say, hmm, they're leaving out NFC, what else are they going to leave out? But I think LTE is confirmed at this point, as is a larger screen, so I'm not sure what else. If it didn't get LTE, THEN it would be problematic.

It's more like Apple not including a feature that isn't really ready or useful yet, which is pretty typical for them. Right now, NFC payment barely even exists. I've seen it in one place, a Walgreens, and when I tried to hold my phone up to it, nothing happened and I had to whip out the plastic anyway.

And carriers have mixed support for it as well. I know Verizon just has to be a special snowflake and use a different NFC payment system because why would they use the already (sorta) established Google Wallet? Better to fragment the still-tiny NFC payment market as much as possible, guaranteeing its failure, right?

Okay, rant over. Doesn't matter what system they use since almost no one even tries to accept NFC payment in the first place.

That said, there are some interesting uses for NFC. I like sharing YouTube videos with my wife. Just hold our phones back to back and tap on one to send whatever I'm looking at to the other. So that works with web pages, contact info, YouTube videos, not sure what else. That is kinda cool. You can also do neat things with NFC tags, like put one on your nightstand that toggles the phone between silent mode (at night) and sound on (during the day).

But if they put in NFC they'd feel obligated to work in NFC payment and it's just not ready yet. Or if they don't put in NFC payment, people will be like, "Damn it Apple, you have NFC, why can't I do anything with it except share cat videos?"
I agree. This stuff is barely in existence, from what I see (and, no...the Bay Area, L.A. and New York City do not "everywhere" make).

Apple does indeed show up "late to the party" on certain things, but that's only because it sometimes makes sense. They'd rather offer a feature/capability once, the right way and where most everyone can benefit and use it, vs. trying to have one of the major, key features of a brand new iPhone be a niche feature that 90% of the population couldn't give a rip about just yet.

If it doesn't come this year, that just means we have another year to see things put into place and for it to become a bit more commonplace (although I suppose including it on something like an iPhone would be a good spur to businesses to go that route).

But, honestly...it's not a deal-killer for me at all. Of all the things I've been thinking about, regarding this new iPhone, NFC and the whole "swipe your phone to pay for something" is about #37 on the list.

I couldn't care less at this time. Ask me again in another 12-24 months, once I start to look around and actually seeing it implemented and supported everywhere (which it's currently not). Then I'll have a reason to want it...

EDIT: Good grief, this auto-correct in Mountain Lion makes me sound like a drunken idiot, even in the middle of the afternoon when I'm not. Before, you could tell (from the typos and goofy syntax/grammar) when I was on my iPhone and wrong words or contractions were substituted without me noticing. Now it's happening on my Mac, so I'm sounding like a universal puddinghead. Is that an iCloud feature I didn't know about?

Quote:
Sound like a complete dipshit across all your devices.
Begin a typo-filled message on your iPhone, then move to your Mac and pick up where you left off, with your all idiocy perfectly synced and fully intact.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2012-08-28 at 16:48.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-08-28, 15:36

I wish that they would escalate the profile of devices built to extend the functionality of the smartphone.

I've seen a wireless blood pressure cuff at the Apple Store.

There are more and more of these interesting "tricorder-like" extensions out in the world but they have not been gathered under the tent of a marketing term so that they are recognized for what they are.

Imagine an "iExtend" program that features all sorts of gizmos that could use the phone as the "brain/monitor" of the system designed for control by a smartphone.

I think that this would be a good future move for smart phones.

We are already doing this with the rPlank™.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-08-28, 16:50

Isn't there a remote control airplane or helicopter (or some sort of flying gadget) that does this? You control it from your iPhone or iPad, I believe. I saw it on Engadget a while back, I believe.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-08-28, 17:16

They have one on groupon right now.

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-mota...pter?c=all&p=0

drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-08-28, 17:57

But imagine other things you could connect to the smart device!

addison
Formerly “AWM”

2012-08-28, 20:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post

And carriers have mixed support for it as well. I know Verizon just has to be a special snowflake and use a different NFC payment system because why would they use the already (sorta) established Google Wallet? Better to fragment the still-tiny NFC payment market as much as possible, guaranteeing its failure, right?But if they put in NFC they'd feel obligated to work in NFC payment and it's just not ready yet. Or if they don't put in NFC payment, people will be like, "Damn it Apple, you have NFC, why can't I do anything with it except share cat videos?"
Verizon is part of Isis along with AT&T and T-Mobile. It's supposed to launch next month. Sprint is the only carrier who seems interested in Google Wallet. Personally I find it more convenient to pull a card out of my wallet. It's not like it takes any longer plus I don't use just one card. And I don't like the idea of Google tracking all my purchases.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-08-28, 21:41

Wouldn't this be a great for for passport though? Not just cards as images on the screen but software programable NFC chip? Maybe I don't know NFC well enough...

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-09-04, 12:31

Announcements are out. "It's almost here" with a big 12 and a shadow of a 5.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-09-04, 12:34

Awesome! Can't wait...

turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2012-09-04, 12:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Announcements are out. "It's almost here" with a big 12 and a shadow of a 5.
Oh! Does that mean it the new iPhone is the iPhone 5, and not "The new iPhone" as many were predicting? Interesting.

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2012-09-04, 12:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball View Post
Oh! Does that mean it the new iPhone is the iPhone 5, and not "The new iPhone" as many were predicting? Interesting.
It would seem that way. Either that or the event is actually on the 5th, and it's the iPhone 12.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-09-04, 13:36

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2012-09-04, 14:22

Ah yes, the sixth iPhone, shipping with iOS 6, will be called "iPhone 5." Not confusing at all, Apple!

Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2012-09-04, 14:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
Ah yes, the sixth iPhone, shipping with iOS 6, will be called "iPhone 5." Not confusing at all, Apple!
And likely with an A6 chip, too.

Seriously, I think most people (outspoken geeks on Apple boards notwithstanding) would be more confused going from 3G -> 3GS -> 4 -> 4S -> 6. But I, too, thought that The New iPhone was a shoe-in.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-09-04, 14:59

Apple is rarely so transparent with their announcements. This is another example of how Cook is ruining Apple. </s>