Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iCloud
Page 4 of 8 Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8  Next Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-10-12, 11:24

This is already pissing me off.

If I have to upgrade to Lion for this stuff to act right...grrr. As Brad points out, there should be no legit technical reasons this stuff can't work just fine in Snow Leopard. For goofballs like me who still need Rosetta in their lives a little while longer, this will kinda suck...
zippy
Veteran Member

2011-10-12, 11:31

Seriously. If this works with any version of Windows, it should work with both Leopard and Snow Leopard.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2011-10-12, 11:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
My worry with iCloud is what it will do to older computers with respect to syncing. My hackintosh is probably not going to make the leap to Lion and I don't want to lose the ability to sync to it. Will there be an iCloud release for Snow Leopard?
A 10.6.9 appears in the works. (Or they had at some point planned it but then cancelled?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I'd love to know the answer to this, or even some clarification on what parts actually require Lion. Presumably email will continue to work without Lion. After all, it's just standard IMAP/SMTP right? The music features seem tied to versions of iTunes and iOS instead of Mac OS X. The various other former-MobileMe syncing features (bookmarks, calendars, contacts) I could see disappearing from Snow Leopard, even though calendars should just be standard CalDAV.

*shrug*
CalDAV and CardDAV, yep. Not sure about mail but pretty sure it's IMAP/SMTP.

This thread has the URLs for setting CalDAV and CardDAV up. Not sure if anyone got it to work in 10.6 that way.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2011-10-12, 12:54

Joining in the crowd of complaining about "why you not work on Snow Leopard". I love the idea of all the iCloud features, but I'm still not upgrading to Lion for awhile, so...meh.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2011-10-12, 13:02

Yeah, why won't they let something new work on something old. Also, iTunes 10.5 won't run in Mac OS 9.2 on 68k. Assholes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-10-12, 13:12

Oh, don't be silly. Nobody's going back that far. Up until a few weeks ago, Snow Leopard was the OS. And with some people still needing Rosetta or whatever, it's crazy to assume that everyone has jumped on Lion. There were/are some legit upgrade issues for people, even with newer hardware and recent third-party apps.

Gazillions of people don't upgrade to the new OS in the first few months...this is nothing new or weird. There are tons of people still on Snow Leopard, for various legit reasons.

Nobody's talking about 9.2 or 68k Macs. When you have to go that far around the bend to make a point, you've already lost.

Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2011-10-12, 13:17

Indeed. And they support Vista for goodness sake. Dumb.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-10-12, 13:20

I do like seeing Chucker get his Irish, err, German, up!

chucker

2011-10-12, 13:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Oh, don't be silly. Nobody's going back that far.
No, I know. Silly hyperbole on my part.

Quote:
Up until a few weeks ago, Snow Leopard was the OS. And with some people still needing Rosetta or whatever, it's crazy to assume that everyone has jumped on Lion. There were/are some legit upgrade issues for people, even with newer hardware and recent third-party apps.
Yes, absolutely!

But nobody has to move to iCloud, do they? And basic services like Mail, Contacts and Calendar will most likely work. So what if the new, added stuff like Find My iPhone doesn't?

Quote:
Gazillions of people don't upgrade to the new OS in the first few months...this is nothing new or weird. There are tons of people still on Snow Leopard, for various legit reasons.
Nobody needs to upgrade ASAP. The notion however that you don't upgrade to shiny part A and should still get shiny part B regardless? I don't understand it. I reject it.

Quote:
Nobody's talking about 9.2 or 68k Macs. When you have to go that far around the bend to make a point, you've already lost.

Okay, then I've lost. Boo hoo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majost View Post
They support Vista because Microsoft supports Vista. It's pretty much as simple as that. They dropped XP support around the time Microsoft did.

They've always been far more aggressive about dropping support for older OS X releases than Microsoft has been about Windows releases. There's a big, obvious con to that, but there are less obvious pros as well. Dealing with legacy isn't really anyone's forte; in the end, it leads to awkward compromises.

I still pretty clearly remember the discussion two years ago at my place about dropping Windows 2000 / .NET 2.0 support. (I won.) And last year about dropping Office 2003 (which has very limited .NET capabilities) support. (I lost.) Nobody at Apple says "yeah, let's screw over these guys by dropping support so they buy new, expensive stuff of ours. That'll teach 'em."
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-10-12, 13:39

I actually use Find My iPhone. It's saved me a couple of times. I have to pay $30 and upgrade to Lion (which then triggers a massive Adobe CS upgrade) just to use that?

And check this out:

That's kinda weird, isn't it? Supporting the previous major release of Windows, but not OS X (which more people are still on, vs. Lion, I'm sure).

I understand the "they support Vista because Microsoft still does". Fine. But why doesn't Apple still support Snow Leopard in these endeavor? It's their OS, and a hell of a lot more users are still on it than Lion, I'd wager.

No, it's not the end of the world. But it's odd, and is sure to cause some confusion or frustration. Find My iPhone and whatever else worked wonderfully on Snow Leopard and iOS 4.whatever.
chucker

2011-10-12, 13:52

Quote:
I actually use Find My iPhone. It's saved me a couple of times. I have to pay $30 and upgrade to Lion (which then triggers a massive Adobe CS upgrade) just to use that?
To find your iPhone? No, probably not, actually; there's a website for that.

To have Find My iPhone find your Mac as well? Yeah, you'll probably need Lion for that. I suppose someone could pack up whatever background task does it (aosnotifyd?) and release it as an installer for 10.6, though.*

Quote:
And check this out:

That's kinda weird, isn't it? Supporting the previous major release of Windows, but not OS X (which more people are still on, vs. Lion, I'm sure).
It's always been that way, though. It's not long ago that iTunes for Windows still ran on XP, which is from October 2001. How long ago did iTunes run on the September-2001 OS X 10.1?

Quote:
I understand the "they support Vista because Microsoft still does". Fine. But why doesn't Apple still support Snow Leopard in these endeavor? It's their OS, and a hell of a lot more users are still on it than Lion, I'd wager.
True. For example, Adium shows only 26.88% of people on Lion, with 43.01% still on 10.6.8 (not to mention other 10.6 releases!).

But someone who's still on an older piece of software isn't necessarily likely (quite the opposite) to, despite that, install additional software.

Quote:
No, it's not the end of the world. But it's odd, and is sure to cause some confusion or frustration. Find My iPhone and whatever else worked wonderfully on Snow Leopard and iOS 4.whatever.

Was there ever a Find My iPhone app for the Mac before? If there was just the website… well, there's still a website.

*) But even if you were to do that, some features like remote locking wouldn't work. Lion adds various things like being able to quit applications fast yet cleanly to accomplish that.
zippy
Veteran Member

2011-10-12, 15:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majost View Post
That's the part that I really can't find any rationalization for. Vista was replaced in 2009 for God's sake. Snow Leopard was replaced less than three freaking months ago. I don't see any way to defend Apple on this one. It's just stupid, IMO.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
faramirtook
A for effort.

2011-10-12, 15:47

so I want to move all my On My Mac calendars to iCloud, but I don't see some sort of mechanism for doing that.

do I have to do that by hand?

Ale, man, ale's the stuff to drink
For fellows whom it hurts to think
chucker

2011-10-12, 15:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by faramirtook View Post
so I want to move all my On My Mac calendars to iCloud, but I don't see some sort of mechanism for doing that.

do I have to do that by hand?
If you go into System Preferences → Mail, Contacts & Calendars, select your iCloud account, and finally tick the Calendars box, it'll ask:

Quote:
Do you want to merge calendars with iCloud?

Your information on this Mac will be uploaded and merged with the calendars stored in iCloud.
(It does for me, anyway.)

Is that what you mean?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-10-12, 23:03

Man, I need to get this multi-user thing ironed out. Seems Apple knows my wife and daughter's email addresses so it won't let me make them their own iCloud accounts for the sake of syncing.

Also seems like it has to have the iCloud account be the same as the iTunes account. I don't like this at all.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
SpecMode
Wait what

2011-10-12, 23:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Also seems like it has to have the iCloud account be the same as the iTunes account. I don't like this at all.
Really? All of my devices setup with an iCloud account (migrated from MobileMe) have a separate Apple ID setup that I use for purchases. I don't use my iCloud account for anything iTunes-related, and the setup seems to work just fine.
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2011-10-13, 00:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Man, I need to get this multi-user thing ironed out. Seems Apple knows my wife and daughter's email addresses so it won't let me make them their own iCloud accounts for the sake of syncing.

SpecMode is right. Set up iOS 5 with the iCloud account of choice, then go to preferences -> Store -> Apple ID. You can then log in to a different ID for store purchases. Good for families sharing one account and people like me who had an iTunes account for years before getting a separate mobile me account right before they pulled the rug out from under us (not really, in my case at least, iCloud does everything I got mobile me for).
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2011-10-13, 08:01

Thanks for that tip.

I'll be needing it as soon as I buy my new iPhone. Had an iTunes account for years before getting MobileMe.

Nice to see that it's an easy fix.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Miko
Veteran Member

2011-10-13, 11:42

Is anyone having problems getting their mail through iCloud? It keeps prompting me for a password which hasn't change and was working fine last night?

I can't get mail anywhere: iPhone, MBP or online??
chucker

2011-10-13, 11:50

http://www.apple.com/support/icloud/systemstatus/

Quote:
iCloud: Mail & Notes - Users Affected: Some
10/13/2011 09:24 PDT
Users are experiencing intermittent authentication errors when trying to use mail. Normal service will be restored ASAP. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Miko
Veteran Member

2011-10-13, 11:56

Ahh...thx Chucker.

So I won't try to resolve it on my end, hopefully it will be sorted out within the hour.
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2011-10-13, 12:25

I really thought I'd be able to find this info on my own, but I'm just not seeing it in writing anywhere...

If I move my mobile me account to iCloud now, do I lose the mobile me stuff that iCloud doesn't include? That is, if I start using iCloud now (with my moved mobile me account), will I still get to keep my iWeb until next June?

Ugh.
Partial
Stallion

2011-10-13, 13:16

What ports does iCloud use? Are they sending everything over HTTPS? That's pretty cool if that's the case.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2011-10-13, 13:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial View Post
What ports does iCloud use? Are they sending everything over HTTPS? That's pretty cool if that's the case.
A quick search of my Little Snitch rules says it's port 443 all round.

Oh, and iCloud seems to be working very well compared to MobileMe. Though, iDisk is still hanging around, well, as long as it doesn't fuck up anything else...

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2011-10-13, 13:43

I'm having a slight issue. I have iCloud set up on my MBP, iPhone, and iPad, but I use the iCal on my MBP for everything. I had it set to merge with iCloud and yet it only displays about 2-3 items per month instead of everything. It's only about 10% of the information on there. I click refresh on the iCloud website but still don't see anything. Any suggestions?

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2011-10-13, 15:01

Just thought about what a big bang opening it must have been at Apple's data centre when all us eager users started upgrading almost immediately. Thinking of it that way, it's really impressive that everything didn't just go totally down the toilet. Ok, not to make slight of you guys with technical issues, but I think the big picture is looking quite good.

spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2011-10-13, 16:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotcatbug View Post
f I move my mobile me account to iCloud now, do I lose the mobile me stuff that iCloud doesn't include? That is, if I start using iCloud now (with my moved mobile me account), will I still get to keep my iWeb until next June?
Just to answer my own question (I found out when I started the move from mobile me to iCloud): You get to continue to use (at least) the gallery and iWeb until June, next year. Some other things (which I never, ever used) are turned off immediately.

Ugh.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-10-13, 18:42

I ended up getting the account things figured out. Not something I should have done so late at night when I was so tired. I'm iCloud email address is now my wife's name.

Good thing I'm using my iTunes account/Apple ID for my iCloud account. I wonder if I can get Apple to dump that email address for me. I didn't want her name but did click past the warning saying it stays.

Anyway, I gave my wife her own @me.com email/Apple ID for her iCloud account. Now she uses my iTunes account but her iCloud for everything.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2011-10-14, 10:38

Have anyone tried out Photostream yet?

The whole inability to delete or exclude photos seems a little unnerving. I try never to have anything NSF-mom in iPhoto, but if I can't control what my iPhone pumps over there's no telling what might end up in iPhoto after a drunken caper. On the other hand it is a very neat back-up feature.
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2011-10-14, 10:43

You can clear your complete Photostream if necessary. There really should be a way to delete individual photos, though.