User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

The Mac converter's challenge

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Mac converter's challenge
digitalprimate

2006-01-06, 13:08

Has anyone of you been able to convince other people to buy a Mac?

My dad just won't be convinced of switching. Maybe I should actually just buy the thing and leave it there for a few days. Hopefully he discovers it then all by himself.

I've read on a Flemish forum that there were quite some converters out there

It's a mac mission.
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2006-01-06, 14:12

I have converted about 10 people in the past sven to eight years. Not that much, but my convertees have been busy converting themselves. So I am the seed of an ever expanding Apple tree.

A black hole is where god divided by zero.
http://settuno.com/
*Joe*

Send a message via AIM to *Joe* Send a message via MSN to *Joe*  
2006-01-06, 14:17

I can really only remember converting 4 people: My mum, my dad, my gradparents, and my best friend
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2006-01-06, 14:18

I got my sister to get an iBook strictly because she liked how nice and white mine was. Now her boyfriend's family is getting an iMac. I'm working on getting my parents to get a Mac Mini, but my dad is stubborn. It took me three months of convincing to get him to upgrade to DSL, and even then, we still kept AOL for a couple months. Either they get the Mini, or I'm just gonna buy it for them and put it in place of the old Dell they're currently using.

Last edited by kieran : 2006-01-06 at 14:25.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2006-01-06, 14:21

It's all about using the right tool for the job. It took a year of my boss complaining every time he tried to do video editing on a PC before he finally got a 20" iMac. Since then he's constantly amazed that using a computer could be so easy.

This is a guy that back when he started to video edit on a PC said he would never own anything other than a PC because Macs were too proprietary, incompatible, etc., all the old arguments we've heard a thousand times before.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-01-06, 14:25

I've been directly responsible for about 6-8 switches...and probably a few springing from those. And I believe I'm on the cusp of a couple more in 2006: my Mom and Dad.

Dad's said, for the past couple of years, that his next computer is going to be a Mac (and he's aware of the changes coming this year), and he's always asking me questions.

Recently, MAJOR frustration with her entire PC-using experience has caused my Mom to actually reach out to me and initiate several "if I got a Mac..." conversations.

I've planted the seed enough, over the years, that now - on their own - they're thinking about it and asking smart, legit questions.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-01-06, 14:38

Everyone in my family but my brother-in-law. In my defense, he works for Dell in Austin. I think he'd get fired if he used one. Although, my sister - his wife - is as big an Apple lover as they come.

So that's 5 people. 7 if you count my parents who would use the Mac when/if they use computers (which is rarely). I've got 1 other pending the purchase of his next computer.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-01-06, 15:09

While other men brag about how many ladies they have taken to bed, Mac fans prefer to brag about how many they have switched.

As you guys preach the benefits of the Mac, the other guys are breeding like rabbits. We also need strength in numbers, so get busy already now!

I can partially claim credits for one, so far, and have a couple more about ready to give in. Switchers, not girls.

alschmid

2006-01-07, 04:53

I think I have at least strongly influenced 2 people and converted 1, my mom, for whose birthday my family and I have bought an iBook... Timeframe: 0.75 years.
HezMah19
Formerly "jmahe19"

Send a message via AIM to HezMah19  
2006-01-07, 07:17

Around 5 in 5 years who have then themselves become walking Apple ad's.
Total value to Apple: Over AUD$50,000

ohhhh yea
BenP

2006-01-07, 08:54

I got one friend to buy an iBook after his Gateway was rendered unusable by a virus. Another is going to buy a PowerBook after the Intel switch.