Password
AppleNova Forums » Programmer's Nook »

Best FREE text editor?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Best FREE text editor?
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
rand0m3r

2006-11-10, 22:11

hi. i'm looking for a text editor on mac os x that has syntax highlighting for languages like C, C++, java, PHP, postgresSQL, LaTeX.

i heard textmate and bbedit are good editors, but it surprised me to find that not only did they cost money, but they were pricey. i would never pay that much for a text editor.

i'm not after spectacular features, just an equivalent to kate on linux. or is there kate for OS X too? thanks.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2006-11-10, 22:16

SubEthaEdit perhaps?
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2006-11-10, 22:16

I use SubEthaEdit. But I haven't heard anything from them in ages. I should check if they are still around.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-11-10, 22:18

SEE is the way to go...

Also the Xcode editor is pretty good and is completely free from Apple.. It does not cover all of the languages you mention.. But most of the traditional programming ones.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2006-11-10, 22:30

$50 is not that much. It's worth every penny.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-11-10, 22:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
SubEthaEdit perhaps?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebby View Post
I use SubEthaEdit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt View Post
SEE is the way to go...
Not free, not free, not free.

That simple qualifier is in the very subject line of the thread, folks.
rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2006-11-10, 22:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Not free, not free, not free.

That simple qualifier is in the very subject line of the thread, folks.
http://www.codingmonkeys.de/subethaedit/old.html
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2006-11-10, 22:41

http://tacosw.com/main.php
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-11-10, 22:47

SubEthaEdit 2.2 is a good one. I also know of one called TextWrangler. Not sure if it's any good, but I know it's free and it's made by the same company that does BBEdit.
AsLan^
Not a tame lion...

2006-11-10, 22:48

I use textwrangler, xcode, and jedit.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2006-11-10, 23:01

Used to be free. At least my version is.
Thanks for the update warning...
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-11-10, 23:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand0m3r View Post
hi. i'm looking for a text editor on mac os x that has syntax highlighting for languages like C, C++, java, PHP, postgresSQL, LaTeX.

i heard textmate and bbedit are good editors, but it surprised me to find that not only did they cost money, but they were pricey. i would never pay that much for a text editor.
No offense, but you're going to develop software in multiple languages, yet can't afford the $35 for SubEthaEdit or the $49 for TextMate?

As a developer, you do know how much effort it takes to create a solid app.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-11-10, 23:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
No offense, but you're going to develop software in multiple languages, yet can't afford the $35 for SubEthaEdit or the $49 for TextMate?

As a developer, you do know how much effort it takes to create a solid app.
From the looks of the first post, this person may be coming from a Linux background, where virtually everything is free.

That said, I agree with chucker. Developers of quality software deserve some remuneration.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-11-11, 00:48

Not only that, but you owe it yourself to get solid and quality tools, and frankly, TextMate stomps anything I've used on the free side of the fence. Worth every cent.

If you're serious about development, get proper tools.
Jerman

2006-11-11, 01:25

I personally use TextWrangler, and it meets all of my needs. But all I do is php/css. Very happy with it.
rand0m3r

2006-11-11, 03:04

i'm a uni student. i don't think i need all the bells & whistles that textmate offers. and i don't like the idea of paying for a license to use a text editor.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-11-11, 03:17

TextMate is shareware, you know. You can download and try it for a month to decide if it's worth the money.
rand0m3r

2006-11-11, 03:38

yeah i know, but 39 pounds is just outrageous for a text editor... i mean, the license to use a text editor.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-11-11, 03:43

Taco!
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-11-11, 03:47

FYI, one of the most popular text editors (before TextMate stole all its customers for being cheaper and better) was BBEdit, which costs over $100. Many people still swear by it, but its heyday was in the 90s.
scratt
Veteran Member

2006-11-11, 03:50

If you keep your ear to the ground, virtually all of the text editors out there offer free versions, or 'lite' versions, at various times.. Personally I would rather have the tools I want now, and for them to be fully functional.. So I always buy commercial software when my dev work depends on it..

I use betas, 'lite' versions and free trials when I am curious..

I would gladly pay for SEE, but have always ended up with free versions... The serial I was given legitimately for the old SEE free giveaway works just fine with the newer versions too...

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-11-11, 08:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand0m3r View Post
i'm a uni student. i don't think i need all the bells & whistles that textmate offers. and i don't like the idea of paying for a license to use a text editor.
Whatever, use vim or emacs or some such.

I don't get your argument at all, let alone how the fact that you're a student factors in (heck, e-mail Allan and ask for an education discount…). You claim knowledge in C, C++, java, PHP, postgresSQL, LaTeX. Surely you could whip together some shareware for, say, $10. Now all you need is five sales and you already have all the money from the TextMate purchase back, plus another dollar.

This is a productivity software. It costs you money at first, but then it makes you money.
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2006-11-11, 09:23

Since SubEthaEdit became pay-ware, I switched to Text Wrangler (on the Mac, I use Kate on Linux). Also, I totally understand not wanting to buy a text editor. It's a bloody text editor, not Photoshop.

The sky was deep black; Jesus still loved me. I started down the alley, wailing in a ragged bass.
scratt
Veteran Member

2006-11-11, 09:44

My attitude towards those that don't want to pay for a good text editor, because "it's a bloody text editor", is the same as chuckers..

Use vi..

Or go and write your own, make it better, and make it open source..

Or stop whining..

chucker

2006-11-11, 09:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barto View Post
Since SubEthaEdit became pay-ware, I switched to Text Wrangler (on the Mac, I use Kate on Linux). Also, I totally understand not wanting to buy a text editor. It's a bloody text editor, not Photoshop.
"It's a bloody image editor, not TextMate."

Oh, I hear you say: it's much more than that. So is TextMate. And, after all, Photoshop costs about ten times the price as TextMate does.

If someone decides a price tag is not worth it, that's their call to make. But to argue that, in general, paying money for a text editor is unwarranted, is an attitude I completely fail to understand.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2006-11-11, 10:41

This thread is ridiculous.

A guy from Linux background comes in asking for a good free text editor. Whatever happened to Vim and Emacs?
I use vim and gvim, but if I want a OS X GUI integrated editor someday, I'll buy TextMate.

If you do just one hour of programming and other text editing a day, that's over 300 hours a year. Even if you had to pay the editor's price yearly to use it, the cost would still be just 10c/hour. What's one hour of programming work worth? $10? Even if the editor only makes you a tiny 1% more efficient, it has paid its price back in one year. That's ignoring the subjective aspect, how much nicer it is to work with good tools, and how that reflects on your overall wellbeing. And how you can use the same license for ten years if you want to.

Ridiculous.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2006-11-11, 11:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit View Post
Taco!
Taco rocks.

I wish EditPlus was available on Mac. It's not free, but it's totally awesome.

Last edited by PKIDelirium : 2006-11-11 at 11:47.
chucker

2006-11-11, 11:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koodari View Post
This thread is ridiculous.

A guy from Linux background comes in asking for a good free text editor. Whatever happened to Vim and Emacs?
I use vim and gvim, but if I want a OS X GUI integrated editor someday, I'll buy TextMate.

If you do just one hour of programming and other text editing a day, that's over 300 hours a year. Even if you had to pay the editor's price yearly to use it, the cost would still be just 10c/hour. What's one hour of programming work worth? $10? Even if the editor only makes you a tiny 1% more efficient, it has paid its price back in one year. That's ignoring the subjective aspect, how much nicer it is to work with good tools, and how that reflects on your overall wellbeing. And how you can use the same license for ten years if you want to.

Ridiculous.
I believe this is a good place to note that TextMate 2.0 will be a free upgrade (assuming you have Leopard).

Good lord, did I just break off an OS-upgrades-too-expensive debate?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-11-11, 12:02

rand0m3r, if you're that dead set against spending any money on a code development environment, then just go use vim.

If you're really desperate for a GUI, use Xemacs.

Boom, done, basic text editing at your finger tips for free.

What was the problem again?

Look, you may think we're being harsh on you, but this is a silly thread, Koodari is right. You can spend a *small* amount of money on a top-notch tool, or you can spend nothing on mediocre crap. That's the choice you have in front of you. If you're serious about coding, serious about making a career out of it, then is 39 pounds outrageous for an investment in your future? If so, you need to find another career, and fast, because this is just a hobby for you, and always will be.
scratt
Veteran Member

2006-11-11, 12:05

As I said earlier in the thread also, but may have got missed....

Xcode has a good editor, and is free...