Password
AppleNova Forums » Creative Endeavors »

Lighting Equipment

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Lighting Equipment
pear

2012-04-11, 11:07

Hello people,

I am really curious to know what the amateur photographers out there think of my somewhat unprofessional sounding ways of improvising cheap, home-made equipment to allows for a better exposure. Plus, I would love to get you money-saving tips as well. So please feel free to critique my little system or let me know how to make it better…

I have actually been very happy with the room lighting for my photos. I have created the spots myself using materials such as LED bulbs (see here), screens that I make myself and tripods. There is a large selection of affordable tripods on ebay.

I build my spots in this way using LEDs of various intensity and then set them up all over the room as needed. That creates for a beautiful interference… I’m actually surprised by the quality of the resulting pictures, so my home-made equipment has been a huge success for me so for…

Can’t wait to hear what you guys think about this…
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2012-04-11, 12:12

Not bad. A good site for cheap photo tips is Larry's cheap shots. If you look back there are lots of tips on building a lighting setup from stuff at home depot. Personally I haven't tried using home lighting for any shots, favoring my flash.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2012-04-11, 15:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by pear View Post
Hello people,

I am really curious to know what the amateur photographers out there think of my somewhat unprofessional sounding ways of improvising cheap, home-made equipment to allows for a better exposure. Plus, I would love to get you money-saving tips as well. So please feel free to critique my little system or let me know how to make it better…

I have actually been very happy with the room lighting for my photos. I have created the spots myself using materials such as LED bulbs (see here), screens that I make myself and tripods. There is a large selection of affordable tripods on ebay.

I build my spots in this way using LEDs of various intensity and then set them up all over the room as needed. That creates for a beautiful interference… I’m actually surprised by the quality of the resulting pictures, so my home-made equipment has been a huge success for me so for…

Can’t wait to hear what you guys think about this…
Got any sample pics for us to evaluate? I'm not a photographer, but I'll cheerfully comment on your work if you're seeking general feedback.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2012-04-12, 02:50

I got myself a basic lighting kit today, a Cameron light stand, an umbrella/flash attachment and an umbrella. This works well with my SB-800 , but I'm hoping to setup continuos lighting as well. So at Home Depot I bought: Two 65W (equivalent) LED lights, light socket splitter, a light socket to wall plug adaptor and an extension cord to plug it in. (BTW shot taken with the flash on the new light stand). I went with LED lights, because I want to use this setup for video lights as well.

Now I just need to figure out a way to rig this onto the light stand.