Prometheus

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Prometheus
Page 3 of 4 Previous 1 2 [3] 4  Next Thread Tools
¡Damned!

2012-11-27, 11:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
He was great in The Dark Knight Rises though.

He's to Tom Hardy as Jeffrey Dean Morgan is to Javier Bardem. Gotta feel a little bad for them both (though JDM was fantastic in Watchmen).

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2012-11-27, 13:44

I guess I'm the only one that actually liked Prometheus.

The difference in what "creature" was created from the liquid depending on organism - and how drinking it differed from being, well, "given it" I guess is the most subtle way of putting it, was the most interesting thing of all to me. That one of the "makers" had a creature that was somewhat close to the original xenomorph burst out of him made me think a lot about how DNA and individual species could change the structure (also, icky scary worm xmorph thing). See Alien 3 and 4 for example (well, 3. I don't think 4 was meant to be taken seriously).

Sure, some of the acting was campy and some of the plot was transparent ("Father" = cringe), but I wasn't expecting an epic film along the lines of Alien. That would be nearly impossible.

There are a lot of unanswered questions, so I'm honestly looking forward to a sequel.

So it goes.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-11-27, 13:45

I liked it too.

It's just that after all the holes got poked into it I realized a bunch of different reasons why I shouldn't like it.

And then I liked it anyway because it was fun.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
¡Damned!

2012-11-27, 14:02

The only "hole" that I kept think about was "how in the hell did they find this planet in this system by a bunch of wall scratchings?". I don't remember if they explained it or not since I've only seen it once, but if they did my mind was somewhere else thinking "how in the hell did they find this planet in this system by a bunch of wall scratchings?".

Also, Idris. Stick to English or Easy American. You and the American South accent are fail. I love you. Don't do it again.

So it goes.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-11-27, 14:06

It was on page 14 of the script.

Duh.

¡Damned!

2012-11-27, 14:15

Quote:
Page 14

SCENE: scratchings on wall.

CUT TO: spaceship nearing planet.

wat
drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-11-27, 14:21

Oh you're looking at the cherry revisions.

I'm talking about the original white pages.

Sheesh, man, get with the program.

You'd better hurry, triple-goldenrods will be out soon.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-11-27, 14:51

My favorite part (well, besides the obvious) was the design of the ship. I loved the landing scene, where the thrusters/engines rotate downward. Like a Harrier jet. Thought that was a cool look!
¡Damned!

2012-11-27, 15:08

Indeed, but it totally threw off the continuum for me. Why, for example, in Aliens did they have to use dropships? I'm sure there's some backstory like independently-funded kits (SpaceX et al) that have better technology, but surely that would bleed into the military at some short point? Maybe the military was constricted with previous contracts? Dunno. All of this is fascinating to me, in as much as some SW or ST or whatever fans bugger themselves over the details.

I'm way more into the Alien universe, tbh. I could recite every line from every original SW movie, sure, but honestly, Alien is where it's at for me - even if the films (after the original) are an unconstructed mess.

So it goes.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-11-27, 18:05

I don't want to give the impression I didn't like it; I just didn't like certain characters and the way they were integrated into the story. But I have hope the second installment (if there's going to be one) will make the story more whole. There are quite a lot of interesting angles to look at, the world is truly immersive, and as I said I think this first prequel may have been meant as a way to pose questions that will be answered later.

Also I don't think that guy above is comparable to Tom Hardy based on what I've seen of him.

Also I'm going on record as liking the Engineers and I hope they win. The egomaniacal scientist and android were all "we create things; we're Gods" and the Engineer was all "you are a peon; allow me to rip the head off your creation and beat you to death with his severed torso." I actually liked that part because I did not want to see that old fuck appear in the movie but he did and almost ruined it. I kind of feel like the Engineer should've rag-dolled him a little more and then chucked is old decrepit body 50 feet clear across the sleeping chamber, bouncing him off a wall like a flat and lifeless racquet ball.

...into the light of a dark black night.
¡Damned!

2012-11-27, 18:24

Quote:
Also I don't think that guy above is comparable to Tom Hardy based on what I've seen of him.
Oh, no. I was just goofing on looks. I wasn't implying any talent comparison.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-11-27, 18:26

Moogs, seek help.
¡Damned!

2012-11-27, 18:43

No! I like Moogs like this.

I haven't seen anyone take over the "last posted" crown since, well, me. It's glorious. And he doesn't swear nearly as much.

ALSO:

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2012-11-27 at 19:02.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-11-27, 18:50

Yah what's that last posted thing all about? I seem to be able to create a string of threads where no one posts after me for several hours or even days, despite my not insulting anyone, trying to kill the thread with some OT craziness. *stealthily sniffs armpit to make sure there's nothing foul afoot*
Is it me?

Is this a sign that I need to start hurling more insults and creative cursing to get a reaction out of people? *grabs the Malcolm Tucker Almanac*

(And Scates you can't tell me you wouldn't laugh a little if a scene like that was added into the "Extended Blu-Ray Edition" for all to enjoy. )

¡Damned!

2012-11-27, 19:06

I will take my crown back Moogs. By my honor I will take it back.

*I actually spit wine on my screen laughing as I typed that - I'm a terrible villain.

So it goes.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-11-27, 19:09

You just go ahead and try it Mr. Obscure Number Reference Man. I will unleash an unholy torrent of postings that will shake this place to its very mine-crafted foundations.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-11-27, 19:42

Quote:
Yah what's that last posted thing all about? I seem to be able to create a string of threads where no one posts after me for several hours or even days, despite my not insulting anyone, trying to kill the thread with some OT craziness. *stealthily sniffs armpit to make sure there's nothing foul afoot*
Is it me?

Is this a sign that I need to start hurling more insults and creative cursing to get a reaction out of people? *grabs the Malcolm Tucker Almanac*

(And Scates you can't tell me you wouldn't laugh a little if a scene like that was added into the "Extended Blu-Ray Edition" for all to enjoy. )
Oh, I would. I just couldn't come up with all that creativity on my own. A simple gunshot or foot squish is about as far as I get.
¡Damned!

2012-11-27, 20:02

Quote:
You just go ahead and try it Mr. Obscure Number Reference Man.
This could be a really interesting thread idea.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2012-11-27, 23:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
He's to Tom Hardy as Jeffrey Dean Morgan is to Javier Bardem.
BWAHAHAHA... just two nights ago, got JDM and JB confused in a movie preview.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2012-11-28, 04:32

And here I thought my dream from last night where my dead friend and I try to recreate the perfect lasagne was really truly creepy.
AWR
Veteran Member

2012-11-28, 08:17

A laugh on a gray day.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-11-28, 10:31

My favorite part was the beginning where the engineer was keeled over with tissue-dissolving laughter. You can also see he's grabbing his johnson in an effort to avoid peeing himself. Prometheus: you'll laugh, you'll cry... you'll never be the same again.

murbot
Hoonigan

2012-11-28, 12:42

Quote:
I guess I'm the only one that actually liked Prometheus.
Nah, I liked it too, but it was really fashionable to hate it for most people. But even though I did like the movie, some of the critical videos are pretty funny, like the red letter media one.

Quote:
I haven't seen anyone take over the "last posted" crown since, well, me.]
I missed any talk of crowning a champion, but I've wondered more than a few times how I seemed able to shut down a discussion with a single post.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-11-28, 12:59

I was so late to the party on Prometheus. I had every intention of seeing it in the theater upon release and just never did. Then the more I read/heard about it, the more it sounded like something I wouldn't have liked anyway. Then I kinda forgot about it and moved on and when I saw it available as a rental on iTunes, I thought "okay, I should probably see what all the fuss is about...".

Unlike the first two in the franchise, there is just nothing memorable or gripping about this one. It looked amazing, but there's really no iconic, stay-with-you scene, character, sequence, effect, etc. No Ripley, Ash or Dallas. No Hudson, Hicks or Bishop. Hell, not even a Newt. The captain was the most engaging/interesting character after Shaw, and he had relatively little screen time. But I couldn't tell you the name/occupation of a single other crew member...and I just saw it about three days ago.

They say Ridley Scott is planning a return to the Blade Runner universe.

Kinda hope not.

Some things just aren't worth messing with or revisiting, unless you have such an amazing, shit-hot idea or concept that truly stands with the original (and gives it a run for its money). Prometheus simply didn't/doesn't. And, frankly, I can't imagine a return, 30 years later, to rainy, dystopian Los Angeles - with flying cars and surly Harry Ford - standing any better of a shot a recapturing something that was a happy accident the first time around.

Because it's business and so much about numbers and tie-ins, sequels, toys rights, etc. anymore, Hollywood would rather take a shot on remaking/rebooting/updating/adapting ancient, once-successful projects than pour too much money, time and effort into something truly new and original. That's just true. Why risk millions on an unknown when you can, instead, risk millions on a rock-solid "maybe" (and possibly only louse it up a little)?

I, for one, can't wait for the big-screen, big-budget take on Adam-12.

Oh, wait. Yes I can.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2012-11-28 at 13:16.
addabox
Veteran Member

2012-11-28, 13:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I was so late to the party on Prometheus. I had every intention of seeing it in the theater upon release and just never did. Then the more I read/heard about it, the more it sounded like something I wouldn't have liked anyway. Then I kinda forgot about it and moved on and when I saw it available as a rental on iTunes, I thought "okay, I should probably see what all the fuss is about...".

Unlike the first two in the franchise, there is just nothing memorable or gripping about this one. It looked amazing, but there's no icon, stay-with-you scene, character, sequence, effect, etc. No Ripley, Ash or Dallas. No Hudson, Hicks or Bishop. Hell, not even a Newt. The captain was the most engaging/interesting character after Shaw, and he had relatively little screen time. But I couldn't tell you the name/occupation of a single other crew member...and I just saw it about three days ago.
Yep. Totally agree. One of the most beautifully realized pieces of world building I've ever seen (and it didn't hurt that it wasn't just "stuff you've seen before but better" but had a whole new feel to it). I don't know if Weta made some kind of leap in their natural world algorithms, or what, but the exteriors just felt real, with atmosphere and haze and randomness. I'd watch it again just for that.

But then there's that "people can't write scripts for shit anymore" thing we talked about in the Movies thread. Incoherent motivations, inconsistent to non-existant characters, gaping plot holes, pointless complications that blur the story instead of focusing it-- everything about the Prometheus script makes the original Alien look like Shakespeare.

To this day I can picture in my mind each and every character in Alien, who were drawn in quick but memorable strokes. Can anyone remember more that a few of the seemingly hundreds of random folks in Prometheus? Can anyone say anything definitive about any of their characters, outside of "tough as nails" captain, gay android, and good looking but seemingly insane Noomi? Everyone else was either a place holder, a cypher, or maddeningly stupid.

Writing believable characters is an art, and an art that's central to a satisfying script. You get the impression that Lindelof doesn't actually know any people with authentic motivations, common sense or simple humanity. Which, come to think of it, may be the case. Live in the LA entertainment bubble, and odds are you're mostly interacting with hustlers, pimps and whores of various stripes, people who will change it up on a dime if they think that will get them what they want. Maybe the people in Prometheus are just like the people Lindelof knows: assholes, morons and gay androids.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-11-28, 18:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post
To this day I can picture in my mind each and every character in Alien, who were drawn in quick but memorable strokes. Can anyone remember more that a few of the seemingly hundreds of random folks in Prometheus? Can anyone say anything definitive about any of their characters, outside of "tough as nails" captain, gay android, and good looking but seemingly insane Noomi? Everyone else was either a place holder, a cypher, or maddeningly stupid.
You're just saying that because he liked Lawrence of Arabia. How superficial of you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post
Writing believable characters is an art, and an art that's central to a satisfying script. You get the impression that Lindelof doesn't actually know any people with authentic motivations, common sense or simple humanity. Which, come to think of it, may be the case. Live in the LA entertainment bubble, and odds are you're mostly interacting with hustlers, pimps and whores of various stripes, people who will change it up on a dime if they think that will get them what they want. Maybe the people in Prometheus are just like the people Lindelof knows: assholes, morons and gay androids.
LMAO. You know there's probably more than a grain of truth to this. Hollywood is filled with "actors" who can't act like anything but themselves, and it would not be a stretch to suspect most writers and directors take inspiration from the people they're surrounded by. OTOH, you have people like the Cohen brothers conjuring The Dude, Marge Gunderson, and other classic characters. Actually the entire cast of both movies were classic characters for the most part. And even the bit part types were interesting in their personality flaws.

But the number of Hollywood actors who can make me believe they're someone new in each movie, is decreasing yearly. Can probably count them all on two hands at this point.

addabox
Veteran Member

2012-11-28, 19:14

I just read the Lindelof draft, and, I mean, dear God. It reads more like a pitch than a proper script, what with all the "OMG! We can't believe our eyes!" asides.

And we know the Noomi character is "smart" and "sexy" because A) she rattles off her degrees and declares herself to be smart, and B) casting.

And we know the pilot is "roguish" because the script says "he marches to his own drummer" and that Noomi's guy is a "handsome bastard" because the script describes him as "a handsome bastard."

Apparently overtly describing people in the script is all you have to do to create the character, instead of writing dialogue that demonstrates their qualities. You can almost imagine Lindelof thinking of certain actors as he wrote this, figuring they'd just bring the necessary qualities with them.

A pivotal idea, that Noomi is this romantic seeker, is entirely predicated on the idea that she heard her father say "It's what I choose to believe" before he died, and then she says it later on. It's like character development flash cards. "Rogue, hawt and mean, hawt and smart, handsome bastard, grumpy, old and creepy, gay android. Well, I'm off to Spago's for the Octopus Ceviche!"

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-11-28, 19:20

Hey, now...let's leave Noomi out of this.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-11-29, 10:29

I give her marks just because her name is Noomi. Sorta like Dweezil Zappa, only female (and without a perpetually stoned father, presumably). Few people have names that are fun to say. Noomi and Dweezil are two of them.

Scates got one of these in his inbox this morning:

"Paul, why haven't you called?"

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2012-12-02, 10:16

I saw it last night.

One question: why was Charlize Theron even in the movie? She was a completely pointless character.